Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I am a bit confused so pardon me if this has already been mentioned, however I want to be clear - if I am going to install a ROM, must I run all the RSDLite steps before flashing the ROM?

No. RSDLite is used with the SBF file to put your phone to the way it was when you brought it home from the store. You only use that if you have something terribly wrong occur.

If you are going to flash Roms you should have the SBF file and RSDLite and make sure that the program (RSDLite) sees your phone. The SBF file is specific to each phone so you need to make sure you have the correct one.

If I use RSDLite to put an SBF on my phone for a factory reset, does it wipe everything such as e-mail, contacts, user settings, texts, etc...?

Basically, I want to practice using RSDLite, as suggested by ps747 so that way I know how to do it, just in case. My main concern is, will I lose everything? If so, how do I get everything back, do I use a program like Titanium Backup before hand?

I really want to try some ROMs, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first. I want to try SBFing, but I don't want to lose my data (texts, contacts, pics, etc...).

jasnmar

Reaction score
Help with Brick

So I tried installing a custom ROM. It won't get through the boot screen, so I'm trying to SBF.

I have RSDLite 4.9 installed.
I have MotoDriver 4.8 installed.
I have the full SBF (I've downloaded it twice, same file size).
I know how to get to the Bootloader screen. (Up arrow on power up).

My problem is that when I get to the boot loader screen, load the SBF file in RSDLite, RSDLite won't enable the start button. It detects my phone (but it detects it as S Flash OMAP3630 MI, which I suspect is the problem, but I don't know how to get past it).

When I plug my phone it the computer "beeps" correctly and the boot loader screen changes to Transfer Mode: USB.

I'm stuck with a brick for the time being. Any help is appreciated.
jason

Last edited:

holmes6

Reaction score
So I tried installing a custom ROM. It won't get through the boot screen, so I'm trying to SBF.

My problem is that when I get to the boot loader screen, load the SBF file in RSDLite, RSDLite won't enable the start button. It detects my phone (but it detects it as S Flash OMAP3630 MI, which I suspect is the problem, but I don't know how to get past it).

When I plug my phone it the computer "beeps" correctly and the boot loader screen changes to Transfer Mode: USB.

jason

The fix is here:
If you get "Failed Flashing process. (0x7100)" in RSD Lite - Android Forums

it's a really stupid bug in rsd lite
I wasted a bunch of time on the same thing yesterday..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am a bit confused so pardon me if this has already been mentioned, however I want to be clear - if I am going to install a ROM, must I run all the RSDLite steps before flashing the ROM?

No. RSDLite is used with the SBF file to put your phone to the way it was when you brought it home from the store. You only use that if you have something terribly wrong occur.

If you are going to flash Roms you should have the SBF file and RSDLite and make sure that the program (RSDLite) sees your phone. The SBF file is specific to each phone so you need to make sure you have the correct one.

If I use RSDLite to put an SBF on my phone for a factory reset, does it wipe everything such as e-mail, contacts, user settings, texts, etc...?

Basically, I want to practice using RSDLite, as suggested by ps747 so that way I know how to do it, just in case. My main concern is, will I lose everything? If so, how do I get everything back, do I use a program like Titanium Backup before hand?

I really want to try some ROMs, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first. I want to try SBFing, but I don't want to lose my data (texts, contacts, pics, etc...).

If you are rooted make a nandroid backup. Then after you do the sbf just reroot, hit bootstrap recovery, and restore your nandroid backup.

xjacobx

Reaction score

jason

So the phone shows up in the bottom pane? i'm not at the computer right now, but i know that it shows up there, you select it, then find your sbf file and select it. then your start button should show up.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

jason

You are the second person to encounter that try booting into bootloader like this: power on + volume up + volume down.

jasnmar

Reaction score

jason

So the phone shows up in the bottom pane? i'm not at the computer right now, but i know that it shows up there, you select it, then find your sbf file and select it. then your start button should show up.

Yes, the phone shows up, I can select it and the SBF file, but not start button. Working on something now. Will try to post back soon. It isn't the "file length" thing (as far as I can tell, there is no error log created).

More ideas welcome. Thanks
jason

jasnmar

Reaction score
I've made it to completely bricked at this point. When I put the battery in I just get a "code corrupt".
I seem to be missing a Motorola Flash Interface driver somewhere. Haven't figured out what exactly that is yet.

Any help more than welcome.

jason

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola's interface driver... delete the sbf file and download it again, your sbf file could be corrupted.

jasnmar

Reaction score

Ronbo85

Reaction score
droid 2 bricked

Hi,

I have been getting some help from the guys over at xda and also been following this thread for help. I have a droid 2 that I bought and it boots to the boot loader only. It will go into recovery as well. This is how the phone was advertised when I bought it. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding how to reload the sbf from all the great info here and at the other forum. I have tried loading the 2.3.20 sbf on 2 different windows machines and also linux. In some cases it would appear to be successful at the end of the flash process but the phone boots back to the BL everytime. The guy helping me at xda says he is stumped now. So here I am seeking help here. I dont know if its OK to post links to the 2 threads over there to save repeating the efforts or not; its not too much to look over. One final note is this phone shows no ESN/MEID in RSD lite but has the decal in the batt compartment for it and valid with VZW.

Thank you in advance

jasnmar

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been getting some help from the guys over at xda and also been following this thread for help. I have a droid 2 that I bought and it boots to the boot loader only. It will go into recovery as well. This is how the phone was advertised when I bought it. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding how to reload the sbf from all the great info here and at the other forum. I have tried loading the 2.3.20 sbf on 2 different windows machines and also linux. In some cases it would appear to be successful at the end of the flash process but the phone boots back to the BL everytime. The guy helping me at xda says he is stumped now. So here I am seeking help here. I dont know if its OK to post links to the 2 threads over there to save repeating the efforts or not; its not too much to look over. One final note is this phone shows no ESN/MEID in RSD lite but has the decal in the batt compartment for it and valid with VZW.

Thank you in advance

Mine never showed ESN/MEID info in RSDLite either. Mine actually made it all the way to the intro screen while in RSDLite, but it was launched from the command line rather than "manually".
Do you have the 2.2 SBF or the 2.3? If you are using the 2.2 there is evidence that this won't work if the phone had previously had 2.3 installed from the OTA.

jason

holmes6

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you in advance
Did you try clearing data/cache?

Hold the X key on the keyboard and turn the power back on, keep holding down the X key until you see a yellow triangle icon

Now close the slider and hold down the Volume Up button, then press the Camera button while still holding volume up

A menu will appear and one of the choices will be "wipe data/factory reset" -- use the direction pad on they keyboard to select this option

Scroll down using the direction pad to the "yes" option and select it with the d-pad select key

Ronbo85

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you in advance

Mine never showed ESN/MEID info in RSDLite either. Mine actually made it all the way to the intro screen while in RSDLite, but it was launched from the command line rather than "manually".
Do you have the 2.2 SBF or the 2.3? If you are using the 2.2 there is evidence that this won't work if the phone had previously had 2.3 installed from the OTA.

jason

I dont know what was on it before but I can tell you I have tried both sbf files(numerous dloaded copies) and if I try to use the 2.2 I get Bootloader Err:A5,70,70,00,1F which tell me it had 2.3.20.

By saying your esn didnt show give me encouragment, thank you for the help