Droid Bionic running as slow a Dial Up connection but I'm on 30 MB WIFI...Please Help

Himself2006

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to posting since I can typically find the answers to all my problems while browsing the forums but I've ran into a dead end with this recent problem I've had. I'll try to explain everything I've done over the past month that's led up to this problem to see if anyone else catches something I've missed to fix this!

Problem: After applying recent OTA update to 5.5.893 my Droid Bionic runs horribly slow on the WIFI connection at my house. I have a 30MB WIFI Fiber Optics connection and download at blazing speeds prior to this but now that I've updated it will take about 10-15 minutes to download 3MB APPs and update them which is a huge issue if I do a recovery on my phone.

Sequence of events leading up to the problem:

~1-2 months ago I Rooted the phone with 4everRoot - no problems.

~1 month ago I applied the leaked firmware updates and after running into a couple stupid @$$ user errors and resets I finally achieved my goal of getting to the 5.7.893 leaked firmware update. I then applied the Purity ROM 2.5 update and LOVED it. Ran so smooth and fast I couldn't have asked for more. I did miss the alarm clock that came with the standard Droid Bionic but that was honestly about it.

~1.5 weeks ago I started having increasing issues with my phone where my apps would constantly be deleted. I also had problems whenever I would try to download/update apps that my phone would tell me there was no storage room available on my phone and cancel the download (I had to click download 3-4 times before it would finally go through, but they always did).

~1 week ago I found out that Verizon put out the real updates so I decided to try to flash back and download them (only to find out I couldn't because of Kernal issues failing the verification) so I rooted again and just applied the 5.5.893 firmware manually that I found on the forums.

This brings us to my current issue I described above with my download speeds being HORRIBLE now. I'm hating being back on the normal ROM base as well since I was so use to the Purity ROM and could easily access the WIFI/GPS toggles from the pull-down menus. I also hate that I did a FULL wipe of my internal/external SD Card so I lost all my game saves and downloads for my apps but that's just personal stuff that I can get over.

I do have Titanium Backup with the Pro-Key but I honestly have no clue what it's for besides freezing the Bloatware manually - people say it's used for backing stuff up but I don't understand how it works so if anyone has a great tutorial read on this uber program that would also be greatly appreciated but not my main concern at the moment.

I know this was a very long post but it's a big issue for me because I'm starting to have an increasing buyer's remorse of not going with the iPhone - though when my phone is running at it's best I am glad I chose the Droid. Please help me get back to loving my Bionic!!!

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I'm experiencing a similar situation with my bionic. Data speeds, specifically on wi-fi, have been abysmal. I've also been experiencing application freezing and lock ups, especially when trying to open a new application. For example, when I open the weather channel app, it is completely unresponsive for a good 5-10 seconds. Same thing with facebook and a few others.

No idea how to begin troubleshooting this. Is there any kind of hardware test application available or a means of making sure its not the hardware itself. I don't want to get a refurbished unit unless I'm absolutely sure its a hardware issue, not a software one.

Caren4u2

Reaction score
I had somewhat of a similar issue with my Bionic right out of the box. I previously owned a Samsung Fascinate and had no issues at all. But with the Bionic....another story.

After reading someone's reply to my posting explaining my wifi issues, they suggested that I check the security level on my router (in so many words). In their words, they suggested that I verify if I have AES or TKIP set. I contacted tech support on my router. They determined that my phone was blocking the DNS settings.
I went back and took a hard look at my router's settings.
In my case, my security level was set at WPA with additional encoding attached. I reconfigured my router with a medium security setting requiring a password log in and found that I am now running wifi wonderfully.

Hope this helps.