Droid Bionic Stuck in Fastboot, Boot Failure and Invalid CG Errors... Help!

CLG1081

Reaction score
Ok, So - to begin at the begining, I've had my Bionic since January.

Sometime in February (maybe March?) I rooted it, and about a month later installed some crap application that accidentally deleted some essential component- can't remember what, or why it happened, but that would be irrelevant, as I managed to Use RSD Lite and Flash what I thought was a stock ROM onto it.

It worked aces, except for one particular problem: It wouldn't perform the OTA updates. I would either get the notification that an update (.893) was available, I would download it, I would click to install it. Phone would power down, reboot and it would tell me something like "The Update Failed to Install". I also tried manually downloading and installing the update, but no good.

So I did some searching around, and found a couple of posts from people having the same issue - the common suggested diagnosis I saw was that if a rom was flashed based on a Leak, it would have trouble doing an OTA update. I figured since I had that first problem, and I flashed the "stock" ROM, I must have unknowingly used one based off of a leak. I figured, no big deal, Just find a real stock one and flash that sucker on there.

First thing I did was re-root the little bugger with the MotoFail method (originally used TehRoot, but when I went searching for it again, it said it was deprecated and to use MotoFail.) Next, figured I got to flash this thing.

So, I fired up my virtual machine running XP (Same thing I had to do the first go round - RSD Lite wouldn't work on my host Win 7 x64 Ultimate)

Went through the same steps I went through last time, this time with the .886 build in this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html

I'm guessing it must have been a bad download, or maybe something happened in the interim to the file while sitting on my HDD waiting to be used, I don't know. But It got all the way to something like "Step 13: Flashing System" or system.img or sys.img... can't remember. Then it stayed there... for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I knew after about 10-15 mins, something was up, but I let it be. Anyway, at about the 3 hour mark, I tried picking up my laptop (was gonna do some searching and see how long this should take, and what to do if it hangs) and I accidentally disconnected the little bastard in the process. Said Flash failed. I cursed. A few times actually.

So, I calmed a bit. Picked the phone up and hit power. I see this:

AP FastBoot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)
0A.61

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Which I found odd, since I know I had the battery fully charged before starting this whole fiasco. Figured, no big. I plugged it back into the USB port and waited... and waited...apparently it doesn't charge when its stuck like this.

Decided to try using the wall-wart charger (Micro USB joint from my girlfriends old LG phone.) Must be wired differently, because when I turn it off, plug it in there, and turn it on I get

AP FastBoot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)
0A.61

Battery OK
Ok to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

So I figure "Aces!" and I go searching for another rom to flash. I tried:
the .893 version here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-5-893-fxz-901-902-compatible-902-update.html ... no good
The Minimal jammy here: Download DroidBionic/unroot/DroidBionicUnroot.zip at DownloadAndroidROM.com ... No Good
and one or two more, all same result.

Quick breakdown of what happened with each of them:

First problem, RSD Lite wouldn't recognize the phone when it had the "Battery Low" message, So I had to turn it off, plug into the wall wart, turn it on, leave it on, disconnect it, and connect it to the USB port. Then RSD Lite picked it up.

Decompress the archive containing the ROM, and flash it. Problem was it would turn the phone off, and reboot it, and when it rebooted flashing would fail again, since it would give the battery low message. Found a workaround for that: when it went to reboot, I disconnect it from the usb cable as it was off (mid re-boot), then make sure its off and connect it to the wall wart. I would get the "OK to Program" readout and plug it back into the USB cable, and RSD Lite would continue. It would get to the system flashing step for each of the ROMS and just chill out there for a bit, maybe taking in the scenery or grabbing a leisurely nap, I don't know, but it sure as hell wasn't installing that's for sure. But After it hung, sometimes it would fail on it's own, or after I go tired of waiting 2+ hours and disconnected it (figured, hey it's bricked already, what am I gonna turn it into a cinderblock next?)

Only thing is, when each of the ROMs failed, I'd get this kind of nonsense:

AP FastBoot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: System): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG Version (CG: System)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: System)

Now, I have no idea what CG is, besides my initials, and I didn't think the phone was calling me an invalid, so I'm completely baffled and confused.

Any pointers here? I see people were able to get this very issue resolved, however everyone that I found with success attributes it to a file that is now a dead link :(

eye_dea

Reaction score
Battery wont charge in ap fastboot.
You need to charge your battery. Few options:
1. Find someone with a bionic that will let you charge your battery in their phone.
2. Go to verizon and see if they can charge your phone.
3. Buy an extra battery (they usually come with enough charge to restore your phone).
4. Buy an external battery charger.
5. buy a motorola factory flash cable. This type of cable has a different pin out and has the +5v on pin 1 which bypasses the battery and powers the device directly even without a battery inserted at all. here is a link... Team Black Hat

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
Ok, my girlfriend also has a Bionic, I'll give it a go when she gets home and post results - thanks!

bbucks36

Reaction score
i had the same problem with (flash failure). From my personal exp. I let it boot normally. once in fastboot hit both vol up / down keys same time. then hit vol up for normal powerup. it cleared my flash failure. then was able to install thru rsd lite the .902. hope that helps

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
BBucks36 - I tried the steps in that video earlier, I was able to boot to the menu, when I choose the normal powerup, as suggested in the vid, the motorola splash screen shows for a second (not the droid animation thing) and then I get this guy again:
AP FastBoot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.61

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: System): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG Version (CG: System)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: System)

Currently trying with a fresh 100% charged battery ... been stuck at 9/15 flash system "system.img" for roughly 2 hours now. Does that sound right to anyone?
here's a screenshot...
View attachment 50997

Will try hitting vol up & vol down when this inevitably fails... not to be negative, But I don't really have much faith that the battery does the trick. It got exactly to this point with my "Dead" battery every time I tried flashing yesterday.

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
...on the other hand...

didn't think to read exactly what it said on the screen as I started flashing, since I've read nothing but bad news on the thing, so I didn't think to look... but it says nothing about flash failure or CG errors:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.61

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

I'm gonna assume it's said that since RSD forced it to reboot in the beginning of the process, but part of me can't help but be hopeful that the failure message went away and it's making progress.... maybe.

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
Ok, so, three hours in and I pulled the plug.

Tried every conceivable combo of volume buttons, power button, battery replacement and plugged/unplugging it... everything leads me to

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.61

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Which is kind of cool, i guess, but of course, I guess wrong.

Trying this:
-P3Droid’s Bionic Path Saver 1-Click (restore Bionic to upgrade path!)

Not even sure if it applies to my problem, but I guess we'll find out.

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
Ok, so it definitely deosn't apply, however there are a couple of files to flash in there that may be the difference. again... will keep you posted.

nobreak1970

Reaction score
I've had this happen. Bad usb cable. If not...use an xp pc. It may be failing do to using xp mode. In xp mode did you have it find the usb port? Also did you enable integration services in xp mode?

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
I've had this happen. Bad usb cable. If not...use an xp pc. It may be failing do to using xp mode. In xp mode did you have it find the usb port? Also did you enable integration services in xp mode?

Hey, thanks for the reply! - I tried 2 different USB cables throughout the procedure, didn't actually help, so I'm reluctant to think it's both of them.

And I'm using a VM with a fresh install of XP on it to run all of this, not compatibility mode. This is how I flashed the ROM onto it when a couple of months ago, and it worked fine then, so I wouldn't think this would be a problem now... If someone else weighs in, and thinks this may be the culprit, maybe I'll think about finding someone with an XP machine and use that, but I really just think it's beyond repair at this point... at least from my perspective. I'm hopeful someone out there in droid forum land will have the answer...

OP
C

CLG1081

Reaction score
Thanks eye_dea, and thank you for the encouragement - DL'ing that zip now, will run it when I get back in later, and let you guys know what the result is