DROID Turbo 2? Interested? Will you get one?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Let us know if the DROID Turbo 2 is something that you'll be getting! Or will the Droid Maxx 2 be something you'd rather get?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had the Droid Maxx for a year and loved it...great phone! I have the Turbo now and love it...another great phone! Personally I don't see a Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo 2 being released in the same year, but anything is possible. I will definitely consider either (or both) as my new phone sometime in 2016. My guess is one of these new leaks will be the next Droid...for Verizon and the other will be the Moto Maxx 2...for all other carriers. A lot of people don't even know that Moto made a Moto Maxx which was very similar to the Droid Maxx / Turbo and could be used outside of Verizon.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Aren't they both midlevel devices??? I'm like the local droid head..and I can't even get excited here..or am I missing something..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Aren't they both midlevel devices??? I'm like the local droid head..and I can't even get excited here..or am I missing something..
As a fellow Droid head, I cannot see Verizon allowing the 2015 Droid to have these specs. As we all know (and the leakers seem to forget) the Droid brand is all Verizon's baby...Moto just makes the phone. I highly doubt that this is what Verizon will sell as the new Droid. It's way too early still.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At this point, unless my phone breaks or dies I don't see anything in the next few years that will interest me in upgrading...until a 4.7-5" device with the specs I want comes along (and those seem virtually extinct...maybe in a few years the mid-tier specs on such current devices will be sufficient).

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm still using a 2013 droid maxx. I haven't found a phone that can replace it. These new 6" screens aren't impressing me. I want a smaller phone with a good battery size.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As a fellow Droid head, I cannot see Verizon allowing the 2015 Droid to have these specs. As we all know (and the leakers seem to forget) the Droid brand is all Verizon's baby...Moto just makes the phone. I highly doubt that this is what Verizon will sell as the new Droid. It's way too early still.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but at the same time, it's hard to say with the Droid line recently. Back in the day, they had many different OEMs making Droid branded phones and while they had plenty of high end phones, I feel like I remember them also making lower spec'd phones. The Droid Eris rings a bell. Haha!

Anyway, now that they've backed off a bit from pumping out a ton of Droid devices, it'll actually be very interesting to see. Just because we're all nerds here doesn't mean that the average consumer HAS to have the best specs available. If they can move more devices with lower specs, I'm sure they'll release one.

Though I don't have much interest in the Droid line these days, I'm still interested to see where it goes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If they can move more devices with lower specs, I'm sure they'll release one.

While I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, keep in mind with the ending of subsidies they might be looking to offer a "flagship" at a much lower price point, trying to come in around say $300.

And there's a lot you can do to get there without really sacrificing much...the vast majority of consumers don't need and can't tell the difference on a 2k display (at least, if it isn't like a 5.5"+ screen)...probably don't need 3gigs of ram...16gigs of storage with an sd slot...snapdragon 801 more than enough...just to name a few.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
While I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, keep in mind with the ending of subsidies they might be looking to offer a "flagship" at a much lower price point, trying to come in around say $300.

And there's a lot you can do to get there without really sacrificing much...the vast majority of consumers don't need and can't tell the difference on a 2k display (at least, if it isn't like a 5.5"+ screen)...probably don't need 3gigs of ram...16gigs of storage with an sd slot...snapdragon 801 more than enough...just to name a few.
It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the market reacts, but I think we're making a similar point. The average consumer isn't as obsessed with specs as we here on forums like this one, so it won't hurt them to put their weight behind a lower spec'd device at a lower cost & sell more of those than they would with top of the line specs at a premium price.

The most interesting part of this to me is that vzw is working with Moto, who's already announced a flagship at a decent price with NO carrier branding/bloat. Way to work both ends of the spectrum Moto!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Excellent points, I had not thought about the new pricing that Verizon recently announced. I guess it would make sense to push out a really good phone at a lower cost. Not everyone will be willing to shell out $400 - $600 to get a new phone.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm ready to get back to a larger phone. I switched to my wife's old OG Moto X because my G2 became unbearable. The size is convenient, but too small for me.

on the move..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...Moto, who's already announced a flagship at a decent price with NO carrier branding/bloat.

Well, I thought that phone was pretty much as good as any other flagship out there. $500 may seem like a lower price, but you have to remember those retail "prices" before weren't really real - hardly anyone paid that and it was inflated to force people into subsidized contracts.

These phones that went for $600-$700 had a wholesale price (what VZW and BB would pay) in the neighborhood of $400-$500...So Moto selling that phone for $500 isn't taking any kind of hit, we're just now seeing a truer retail price.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, I thought that phone was pretty much as good as any other flagship out there. $500 may seem like a lower price, but you have to remember those retail "prices" before weren't really real - hardly anyone paid that and it was inflated to force people into subsidized contracts.

These phones that went for $600-$700 had a wholesale price (what VZW and BB would pay) in the neighborhood of $400-$500...So Moto selling that phone for $500 isn't taking any kind of hit, we're just now seeing a truer retail price.
I hear ya, though the new Moto X is said to start at $399. Of course, that's before you start adding storage space and customizing...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hope that this is an incorrect thought process...our Android phones wouldn't be much better than iPhones...yuck..

It'd be like having a nice throaty v8 and then swapping it for a plain Jane 4cyl and trying to be happy on a curvy road...with bald out of balance tires...and lose lugs...and a slipping clutch...