Droid Turbo 2 update adds WiFi Calling

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
droid-2-pdp-nov252015-14

Verizon is currently rolling out an update for the Droid Turbo 2. As a Turbo 2 owner, I was a bit surprised when a little bird whispered in my ear telling me to check for an update. I did, and lo and behold, my phone tells me version 24.31.22 is available. The install weighs in at around 634mb, which seemed a bit large, I thought. As it turns out, this isn't just a maintenance release. Verizon has finally added WiFi calling to the Turbo 2 which was rumored to be happening months ago. I haven't tried it yet, so sound off if/when you do!

Source: Little Bird
Pic courtesy of VZW.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the update PereDroid. I have read that it's also Android 6.0.1. Time to start clicking the Check For Software Updates button.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Trying it out. Meh. So it will only use Wifi if my Cell signal is weak? I can't force it to call over WiFi? Anyone know? It also wants me to input an address anytime I switch to a new wifi spot so 911 can find me? Well, that's a pain in the butt.
a171b759a6c1c9a917601f80625623d1.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Trying it out. Meh. So it will only use Wifi if my Cell signal is weak? I can't force it to call over WiFi? Anyone know? It also wants me to input an address anytime I switch to a new wifi spot so 911 can find me? Well, that's a pain in the butt.

My wife's phone has the update now...so far so good. It is 6.0.1 so hopefully that will squash some of the Bluetooth bugs we had with 6.0. Here is what I know about WiFi calling: you have to enter your primary address into the app in order to set it up. Verizon "recommends" that you update the address if you will be in an area making WiFi calls only, in case you have to dial 911. That's how the 911 folks would know your current address. WiFi calling will still work away from that primary address, it's a recommendation to update it for emergency support.

Yes, normal cell calls take priority. WiFi calling will only kick in if you have no cell reception. But you can make it kick-in. Put the phone in Airplane Mode. Then turn on WiFi. Then you can make WiFi calls. I did it last night on my wife's phone and it worked. Call quality was pretty good.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What sajo said!

Turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi, should put you into perma wifi calling mode.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Any chance this could be ported or made to work on the original Turbo (rooted and unlocked, of course)?

I've tried Hangouts dialer and Ooma, and both VoIP services have a bad echo on the other end.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I see they've also added double click Power button to launch camera.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, good catch Pere. So now we have double tap Power button or twist to open camera.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I need to ask..did you guys get other games bloated on your turbo w with the update?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have heard that some did. It's that Verizon DT Ignite app. They use that to push apps to you based on "your user experience"

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
DT was removed in MM.
Turned off Power Button 2X for camera. Turned my camera on twice by accident.
Dumb shortcut. *Twist Twist*

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Check Settings > Apps > Show System Apps. Mine was disabled with Marshmallow also and came back as enabled. It's Disabled again now....by me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think it was completely removed, just disabled for some and not for others. From what I have read, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint use DT Ignite to gather your user preferences and then push games and apps to your phone that they think you will like. Disable that nonsense and make sure it stays disabled every time their is any kind of system / OS update.