Droid Turbo Pros / Cons

m@tt

Reaction score
What I dislike about it is:
Hard to hear the other party (which I believe had same issue with droid maxx hd)
Back of the phone, it slips out of your hands ( you'll need a case)
I am not sure who is getting 48 hours usage, but I can tell you pulling around 14 to 15, if I am lucky
They removed smart settings from maxx hd (kinda blows because I think that helped with the battery)
Not able to zoom with the camera

What I like:
THE SPEED!!
I like that Motorola came out with an application you can use your pc to receive and send messages
The softcard application
The widget to view weather, battery, date/time (you can also use it with other launchers now)

Extras:
I strongly advice you to look into solo launcher (free and great application)
You can dl Gmail 5.0 now (looks 10x better)
I would go into apps and disable all applications you aren't planning on using. I believe right now I have 24 disable.

Maybe someone can explain to me why cell standby using a lot of the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-06-11-59-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-06-11-59-05.png
    226 KB · Views: 398

wardo

Reaction score
Can't zoom the camera when taking a picture?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
You don't pinch now. You hold your finger down on the screen and go up for zoom-in and down to zoom-out,

And you can zoom the same way with the selfie camera.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hard to hear the other party (which I believe had same issue with droid maxx hd)
I am not sure who is getting 48 hours usage, but I can tell you pulling around 14 to 15, if I am lucky
They removed smart settings from maxx hd (kinda blows because I think that helped with the battery)

What I like:
THE SPEED!!
I like that Motorola came out with an application you can use your pc to receive and send messages
The softcard application
The widget to view weather, battery, date/time (you can also use it with other launchers now)

Extras:
I would go into apps and disable all applications you aren't planning on using. I believe right now I have 24 disable.

Opening for the earpiece is higher on the phone, essentially in the top edge so that may be part of the problem

Which model are you referring to for the back being slippery?

I do miss Smart Settings. There are third party versions.

Give the phone a chance to get everything settled and the battery performance should improve.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pro- This thing seems to be getting faster ...

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
I like it enough that I think I could stand it even unroofed, but we'll see after we see what's actually up on the NX6 vis a vis Verizon before I buy anything else. If the NX6 is available through VZW when my upgrade happens in about 6 weeks I'll be on the NX6, if it's not I'll either leave VZW or think about the turbo. Really not crazy about the looks of lollipop so far, but we'll see what I think with root and a launcher and icon set I like before I start looking for KitKat ROMS for the NX (5 icon dock looks so sparse to me, I run 7 wide with apex and have since ICS, don't like that whole homescreen on one side instead of the center idea either.

Last edited:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max

What I like:
THE SPEED!!
The softcard application

Extras:

I know, this thread was opened a few days ago, but I wanted to chime in...

Bad:
  • I'm having the same issues with the battery. While I can get a day out of it, there's no way I'm going 24 hours, let alone 48. Even with my crappy office signal for 10.5 hours, the Turbo just keeps up with the iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is a 1800ish mAh battery, while the Turbo is a 3900mAh battery. The Turbo should be far surpass the iPhone, and it doesn't.(Cell standby is usually high because you're in a bad service area. Mine's always high because I get crappy service in my office.)
  • The earpeice is "tinny". That's the best description I have for it.
  • Camera Speed. Wow is it slow. Especially for new phones. I haven't had a camera this slow since the OG Droid. Even my Maxx and Maxx HD had a faster responce.
  • No SD Card. Really? Why not?
  • What happened to the HD Port? I used the crap outta that thing. :(
  • Software. While vanilla is great, there is such a thing as too vanilla. Not being able to customize the App Drawer is too vanilla in my opinion. A launcher is a must. (I splurged and dropped the $4 bucks on Action Launcher. I really like it and it runs well.)

The Good:
  • Slippage from the hand could be solved by getting the Nylon back. It's the best backing I've ever had one a phone. I Love It!
  • Radios - Nothing I've ever had compares to motorola radios. I just hung up with my mom while sitting at my desk here at work. That is unheard of with any other phone. No one can hear me while I'm sitting at my desk with other phones. I always have to run outside to talk.
  • Ditto with the moto widget. They keep improving their moto widget each time they produce a new version and it really is nice to be able to use it with external launchers.
  • Camera photo quality is as I'd expect. I haven't used it to take a 21MP photo yet, but the 16MPs turn out great. The dual LEDs do help in a dark room.
  • QI Charging! YEA! I'm very glad they brought it to the Turbo. No idea why more phones aren't using this.

Really Don't Care:
  • Ya, the moto connect is cool, but I was already using VZW Message +, so really I don't need the connect feature.
  • Softcard. Haven't used it. I wasn't using the iPhone version either.
For now, since they let us disable the bloatware, and after I added a decent launcher, I really see no need to root. I'm fine if they can't give us root access. I'm already paying for the hotspot, since I use it daily and probably average 5-10GBs just using the hotspot each month. It will be nice to see how 5.0 runs on it and see if there are changes. IE: App drawer modification. That one bothers me enough so that I cannot use the stock launcher.

So, even with the bad, I see myself using this phone until next year. It's the first phone this year that I've been able to say that. (I've had the LG G2, G3, HTC One M8, and iPhone 6 this year.) The radios are so good, that I might even use this phone for many years, but let's not go overboard...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Does anyone think that a software update will help the camera beyond the shutter speed?? I don't see how it could. A crappy sensor is a crappy sensor.

Reactions: cr6
OP
m@tt

m@tt

Reaction score
If I need to take a quick shot, I use quicksnap. Hopefully the update corrects turbo issues.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does anyone think that a software update will help the camera beyond the shutter speed?? I don't see how it could. A crappy sensor is a crappy sensor.

I don't think it's a crappy sensor, IMHO. A sensor manufacturer would likely not spend all the time, energy and effort on all the research and development for a 21mp sensor at this stage of the technological advancements and have it be a low quality. The manufacturer is going to be competing for the buy with other sensor manufacturers and will be looking to sell potentially hundreds of millions of sensors. Putting out an inferior quality sensor with an inflated pixel count would likely be passed up for a lower pixel count that was a higher quality at the same price point.

Everyone has heard that pixel count doesn't automatically translate into good images. There are some 8mp sensors that can take amazing shots but they can only be enlarged so much before the graininess begins to overshadow the subject.

I do believe that a great picture is first about light (aperture or f-number) then about refraction (lenses), then the sensor, and then about post processing, where each sets the maximum best you'll get out of the ones after it. That's not to say that post processing can't make even a moderately good image look better but it can only do so much before its positive impact is offset by distortion of color or contrast and loss of definition.

I also believe that we can expect improvements in the speed and quality of images with the sensor in the Turbo, with future updates.