Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
New link. See original post. I have it on Mediafire now as well as dropbox.

7779311mm

Reaction score
New link. See original post. I have it on Mediafire now as well as dropbox.

marty45714 THANKS! But will this script depend on the Mot ADB Interface driver? If so, it's a no go for me...I can't get my PC to recognize that driver.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
You may be in luck. I DON'T think it does. I installed VirtualBox today on a workstation WITHOUT Motorola or ADB drivers, and once it installed the USB VirtualBox driver, it worked. So I do not believe it is necessary to install any of the phone related Windows drivers.

marty45714 THANKS! But will this script depend on the Mot ADB Interface driver? If so, it's a no go for me...I can't get my PC to recognize that driver.

7779311mm

Reaction score
You may be in luck. I DON'T think it does. I installed VirtualBox today on a workstation WITHOUT Motorola or ADB drivers, and once it installed the USB VirtualBox driver, it worked. So I do not believe it is necessary to install any of the phone related Windows drivers.

AWESOME! Did you mean that your .ova 'included' VirtualBox or do I have to d/l it from another source? One of your original links is dead.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
You still need to download and install VirtualBox first. Just Google "Oracle VirtualBox". It will be the first result.

AWESOME! Did you mean that your .ova 'included' VirtualBox or do I have to d/l it from another source? One of your original links is dead.

7779311mm

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen I report that we have a root...I repeat, WE HAVE A ROOT on my Droid Bionic running the new Jelly Bean OS v! And a big ol' phat THANK YOU:hail: to marty45714 for this extremely simplified script for those of us that know nothing aboutLinux.

Here are the steps that he set forth and I followed:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
Root_Bionic_JB.ova

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.

Here's where I downloaded VirtualBox 4.2.12 for Windows hosts: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads . It says x86 but will also run on a x64 windows OS as well.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Glad it worked, and glad I could help. Don't forget that Dan Rosenberg @djrbliss is responsible for writing this code that performs the exploit and gives us root!

Ladies and gentlemen I report that we have a root...I repeat, WE HAVE A ROOT on my Droid Bionic running the new Jelly Bean OS v! And a big ol' phat THANK YOU:hail: to marty45714 for this extremely simplified script for those of us that know nothing aboutLinux.

Here are the steps that he set forth and I followed:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
Root_Bionic_JB.ova

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.

Here's where I downloaded VirtualBox 4.2.12 for Windows hosts: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads . It says x86 but will also run on a x64 windows OS as well.

shhendri

Reaction score
Can you do the same thing for me that I asked for from Reflex above? Please share the output of the commands.

Linux Minimal_3.png

It states storage isn't found

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
I have a couple of thoughts:
1) Is there any chance that you have more than one entry on your phone in the Remote Storages section? If you do, that could cause the SMB share to be mounted to /storage/rfs1 or somewhere other than where it should mount which is /storage/rfs0.
2) Did you type everything EXACTLY as it's shown on the Linux console, leaving no trailing spaces on any words and typing "MYGROUP" in all caps?

Try both of those. In the meantime, I'm going to try to write some more logic into the scripts and re-upload everything again to make the process even more full-proof.

View attachment 62546

It states storage isn't found

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hotphyer

Reaction score
So i have a few quesitons, I have everything set-up right, i have linux script running on my laptop, i plug the phone into the laptop.

when i do the simple steps, and trying to "add storage" it states Network Error

So with that, im running my internet off a verizon jetpack at the moment, ( i live in the boonies, but have 4g with 8mbps speed). My IP with this tends to show a location 250 miles away.

Do you think that could be the problem? im going to try it at my parents house with a actual router, but it seems i cant get it to work for the moment ill update on progress tomorrow.

OP
M

marty45714

Reaction score
Yeah, you really need the phone and the PC running the Linux VM to be on the same network segment so that the phone can talk to the PC's IP address on port 445. The ideal thing is to have the phone connected to a wireless router and have your PC either connected to that same WIFI or connected by Ethernet cable to that same router.

So i have a few quesitons, I have everything set-up right, i have linux script running on my laptop, i plug the phone into the laptop.

when i do the simple steps, and trying to "add storage" it states Network Error

So with that, im running my internet off a verizon jetpack at the moment, ( i live in the boonies, but have 4g with 8mbps speed). My IP with this tends to show a location 250 miles away.

Do you think that could be the problem? im going to try it at my parents house with a actual router, but it seems i cant get it to work for the moment ill update on progress tomorrow.