Solved EMail deletion on S5 once downloaded to laptop Outlook

Dingbat

Reaction score
S5 using the email program that came with it. Laptop using MS Office Outlook. Until a few days ago, my S5 would delete Emails on it once they appeared on my Laptop in Outlook. Now it doesn't - I have to delete them manually. There must be a setting on either the S5 or Outlook that controls this? I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
If I'm reading it right, the laptop (Office Outlook Windows 10) is POP as is the S5. The Email host is Earthlink. Thanks!

PS: Emails were being deleted from the S5 once I opened them until a few days ago. The only thing that changed was I had to do a reset on my laptop because of malware. Did nothing to the S5. So, I'm guessing there's an Office Outlook setting I'm missing?

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Very strange. If it was a new POP setup in Outlook the default would be to delete them from the server when you recieved them in Outlook which would make them unavailable on the S5, if you received it first on the laptop. If both are set as POP what you are saying is happening doesn't make a lot of sense unless I'm not understanding something, which is possible.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Although I can't recall where the setting is, there is a setting in outlook that determines when emails are deleted from the server. I'm not near my desktop, I will try to find it and report back if no one explains it first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dingbat

Reaction score
Found it. Outlook 2016 (Office 365) defaults to leave it on the server. I had not seen that in advanced account settings. Uncheck the box and all is good.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are on Office 365, it and 2016 are 2 different products. Glad you figured it out.