ES File Explorer

Natey2

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I set up ES file explorer on my android 2.2 phone to connect via the LAN tab to my home network (desktop). I wasn't able to connect using the IP address, username and password from my desktop...but after much trial and error, I was able to connect using the IP address and "Guest" as the username with no passord (anonymous unchecked). I thought I had my wireless secured with WEP so you'd have to give the password to connect (as I have with my laptop).

Any ideas?

Network connectivity is determined by the Wifi settings in Android, not by the app. You are logging on to the PC (as Guest) via the app.

Avoid WEP if possible. WPA2 or WPA is more secure.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Dvalin21

Reaction score
So I'm able to establish a vpn tunnel to my PC, then I'm able to establish connection through es explorer. But when I try to open any of the shared folders it says unable to connect. So I'm able to see the folders that r shared, but not open. Any ideas, and yes my permissions or correct

notslow

Reaction score
Can you hide hidden files on LAN

When I view my network files through smb it shows all the hidden files, duplicates of many files and drives with a $ sign ( like D: and D:$ )
Is there a way to keep ES from showing the hidden files?

notslow

Reaction score
A little more searching and it appears that the files and folders with the $ are not just hidden but shared folders. Why do these show up in ES?

notslow

Reaction score
Anyone at all? I thought ES Explorer was a popular app. Would have thought someone new about this.

Natey2

Reaction score
My shared printers and shared public folder shows up.
I am connecting without username/password.
Drives don't show up as C$ , etc.
Tried both ES Explorer and Astro.

Try unsharing your C: drive.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

notslow

Reaction score
I unshared C: and now I don't see it on the computer under network shares, but on ES Explorer the C is gone, but the C$ is still there and fully accessible. There is also a folder in ES called admin$ thats contents are the same as C:\Windows which shouldn't be shared but are fully accesible.
This is really confusing.

Natey2

Reaction score
Those are Administrative Shares. You must be connecting with Admin privilege instead of a normal user. There is a way to disable Admin shares. Google it for your version of Windows.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

notslow

Reaction score
That was it! Thanks Natey2. I changed my account to standard and they went away.

ryandennis16

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto E4
Among all the explorers around, [mod edit] and Solid Explorer are the best, but I prefer ES Explorer

Last edited by a moderator:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing like resurrecting a 6 year old thread to post garbage links to unauthorized apps. Thumbs up to the mods for cleaning it up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Nothing like resurrecting a 6 year old thread to post garbage links to unauthorized apps. Thumbs up to the mods for cleaning it up.

where there is a will, there is a way to spam. it is always good when mods are on their toes.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like fried spam on toast, with eggs and cheese.

Lieber

Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to share files between my Android and PC via Android Assistant tool. I think it will be much convenient