Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Long threads of emails are ridiculous to try and read. I know this because I'm on the board of the local community theater & we have those kind of conversations between monthly meetings.

As for hangouts video chat, I'm not sure what your family members' schedules are like, but it's nearly impossible to schedule something like that with mine & not all of them have Google accounts.

With Facebook, we can upload stories, pics, & videos & everyone else can get to them when they can and respond if they like.

Would email serve that purpose? Sure, but not near as conveniently as Facebook.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Before Facebook, people still where able to stay in touch, what makes you think you need Facebook for that, because Facebook told you so, go ahead, keep feeding the Dragon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Before Facebook, people still where able to stay in touch, what makes you think you need Facebook for that, because Facebook told you so, go ahead, keep feeding the Dragon.
Before email, people kept in touch. Before this forum, people kept in touch.

I'm not sure what Facebook did to make you so angry, but there's no need to get so defensive.

I couldn't care less that you don't like it. I find it useful. Let's agree to disagree.

This thread has gotten off topic.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
All valid points guys. I simply feel that are so many alternate ways of "staying in touch" that FB isn't worth that hassle, drama, or personal information you give up by using them.

tap'n on my S5

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
All valid points guys. I simply feel that are so many alternate ways of "staying in touch" that FB isn't worth that hassle, drama, or personal information you give up by using them.

tap'n on my S5
Not to further stir the pot, but you do realize that all of that personal info is the same info that Google's collecting on all of us, don't you?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And what's more, we're all feeding a different dragon of the same color by using phones that run Google's OS & apps.

Not to further stir the pot, but you do realize that all of that personal info is the same info that Google's collecting on all of us, don't you?

yzasuryp.jpg

I guess I need to add Whatsapp and possibly cyogenmod to the photo?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
yzasuryp.jpg

I guess I need to add Whatsapp and possibly cyogenmod to the photo?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Haha! I've said it before & I'll keep saying it. I'm fed ads constantly throughout the day. If they want to gather information about what I like so they can shove ads in my face for things I might actually be interested in, so be it.

In return, I get amazing tech.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have they heard of the phenomenon called email, what about Google hangouts which also has video chat.
I can't use video chat because I'm on limited data. Not to mention, why would I attempt to introduce my family to a new platform when they've been using FB without problem? I don't even use Google Hangouts.

Either way, as someone else mentioned, I couldn't care less whether you use it. Some people go through the "I'm going to communicate how we did back in the day," phase, and that's fine, but we're in a day and age where FB is the norm. It's rare to find someone not using it.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

You're absolutely right and I understand that. I simply don't want FB having my information as well. I don't have a problem with the company itself, I have a problem with the concept. I don't like the whole "fakeness" (if that's a word) of it. People who weren't my friends in HS & college, suddenly wanted to be my friend on FB. The fact that everyone feels the need to post everything about their lives from the minute they wake up until they go to sleep. It just seems like one big bragging competition between the FB user, their children, their lifestyle, etc. Then there's the whole thing (as noted above) with "I can't believe you're not on FB", I hear it all the time and have for years, like its a bad thing. Hey, if it works for you that's all that matters right? It's just not for me, it's as simple as that.

But to get back on track...as for the OP, they overpaid by billions imho.

tap'n on my S5

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
But to get back on track...as for the OP, they overpaid by billions imho.

tap'n on my S5

Tens of billions of you ask me. With the other similar services previously mentioned, I really don't get it.

Reactions: cr6

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Saw this article this morning. Reminded me of this conversation.

Even If You Don t Use Social Networks They Still Know Stuff About You

Not to the extend that what Facebook does, they keep track of who and when you interact with them, then blast you with advertising, and they pass your information to those advertisers, now they can dig even deeper with the new whats app. How far will they take this. People need to understand that these companies revenue comes from advertising, they do not manufacture anything. You thought the NSA was bad.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to the extend that what Facebook does, they keep track of who and when you interact with them, then blast you with advertising, and they pass your information to those advertisers, now they can dig even deeper with the new whats app. How far will they take this. People need to understand that these companies revenue comes from advertising, they do not manufacture anything. You thought the NSA was bad.
I understand that fully. As I said before, they're going to advertise crap to me whether I like it or not. If they gather data and find out the things I might be interested in and serve me ads for those kinds of things, I much prefer that to ads for garbage that I'll never want or need.

And again, you have a Google phone with Google apps. I'm assuming you have a gmail account with all of that. You do know why Google Now can remind you of events based on emails that you've received and track packages that you've received tracking information on via email, don't you? Because their computers are already reading all of your emails anyway, so they figure they'll toss you a bone while they mine your data. Think about that the next time you forget a password somewhere and have a site send you information to reset it. If they really wanted to, don't you think they could get into ANY account you own? Google is, first and foremost, an advertising company. The only reason they started the search engine was purely from the standpoint of simple market research. "People want to find things easily on the internet. If we curate the information on the internet and make it easy for them to search for it, we can gather data on what they're looking for and use it."

If I had to choose, I'd much rather have Facebook know what I choose to share with other people than have Google reading my private emails, but I really don't have anything to hide, so I don't care either way.

Again, you're fully entitled to your own opinions, but please don't assume that all people who use Facebook are uninformed or unaware of what's going on. I've made a conscious decision to stay on Facebook even after I learned these things in the same way that that I made a conscious decision to keep my gmail account and use Google products.

I'm fully aware that I have become a "product" and that information on me is being sold left and right, but if the worst thing that comes from it is seeing ads for things that I might actually have use for, I'm ok with it.