Factory Reset

stang64

Reaction score
To do a factory reset, you go to settings, sd & phone storage, scroll down to factory reset, check the erase phone data box, DO NOT CHECK THE ERASE SD CARD BOX ( it will erase everything on your sd card ), hit reset and voala! If you have pics, music or any other files saved to your phones memory that you don't want to lose, I suggest you move them to your sd card or back them up on a PC. About your configuration, not sure how to go about it. What I do about the apps is, I write them down and then download them again.
If I'm missing something please chime in.

Sent from my Rezound

stang64

Reaction score
I've done a few factory resets on my rezound and I haven't seen any improvement on battery life, just my case.

Sent from my Rezound

pat3332

Reaction score
If you're not rooted, I use My Backup Pro. It backs up everything except data like game scores, which I believe you can't do unless you're rooted. I use My Backup every time prior to doing a factory reset and when I do a restore, it puts the apps and folders back on my home screens just like I had them. I haven't done it in a little while and I can't remember if it restores the free apps, or just the paid ones. It's a great time saver after a factory reset though if you don't think a bad, or conflicting app was your problem.

Deron

Reaction score
I don't think a factory reset will improve battery life, unless you currently have an app running right now that uses tons of battery. And even then, the reset only works if you do not reinstall said app.

A better choice is to examine what is draining your battery. You can find this out when you go into settings and look at the breakdown of what app or phone feature uses what particular percent battery. Then you can isolate the main causes.

There are two major things that drain any LTE phone : screen brightness and LTE mode. Turning down brightness and switching to CDMA only mode are the most effective ways to save battery, albeit you will have slower data speeds.

Just get the extended battery like I did and kiss your battery woes goodbye. I specifically ditched my Droid Razr and bought a used Rezound + Extended Battery mainly for battery life. I also like the fit of the Rezound in my hands much better than the Razr.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Cyan Tapatalk

jbg25

Reaction score
Factory reset is a waste of time.

Can you be specific about bad? 3 hours of life bad? or 5 to 6 hours bad? (I am rooted...but I get through a wholde day with moderate use on a standard battery and that is with LTE on Sceen brightness on auto, several widgets with hourly updates, as well as an alternate launcer installed...but still I am getting 16-24 hours depending on the day)

There are literally dozens of settings built in that can kill your battery built into your phone (widgets/livewallpaper/lockscreens that require data/ Etc). So you need to make sure you are not just running every bell and whistle and expecting to get regular battery life.

Also...did you ever condition your battery? This is not a myth. HTC itself has recommended this for their phones batteries. I know this is my 2nd HTC phone and I know several people with them as well. Every person I know has seen a noticeable increase in the battery.

If you do not know what I am talking about...when you can be near your phone for a while...

after you have just charged your phone...

- unplug the phone count to 10 and replug it in (the light that was green seconds ago will likely be orange again)
- charge again and wait for the light to turn green (could be quick...could take several minutes)
- as soon as the light is green UNPLUG and shut of your phone...count to 10
- plug the phone in (once again it will likely be orange)
- as soon as the light is green UNPLUG and power on...and wait for boot up to finish
- plug in one last time
- as soon as it is green unplug and use the battery all the way down the zero without plugging it in or charging in anyway
- recharge to 100% and your are good

Some people like to clear battery stats (root only)...but I have read articles this is pretty much a waste of time as the phone resets the stats itself regularly.

If this helps...do it every few months.

IF NOT...take your phone to the store you bought it ... and see if they can exchange the battery. if they wont..call customer service and ask them to send you and exchange.

PatG

Reaction score
Factory reset is a waste of time. Can you be specific about bad? 3 hours of life bad? or 5 to 6 hours bad? (I am rooted...but I get through a wholde day with moderate use on a standard battery and that is with LTE on Sceen brightness on auto, several widgets with hourly updates, as well as an alternate launcer installed...but still I am getting 16-24 hours depending on the day) There are literally dozens of settings built in that can kill your battery built into your phone (widgets/livewallpaper/lockscreens that require data/ Etc). So you need to make sure you are not just running every bell and whistle and expecting to get regular battery life. Also...did you ever condition your battery? This is not a myth. HTC itself has recommended this for their phones batteries. I know this is my 2nd HTC phone and I know several people with them as well. Every person I know has seen a noticeable increase in the battery. If you do not know what I am talking about...when you can be near your phone for a while... after you have just charged your phone... - unplug the phone count to 10 and replug it in (the light that was green seconds ago will likely be orange again) - charge again and wait for the light to turn green (could be quick...could take several minutes) - as soon as the light is green UNPLUG and shut of your phone...count to 10 - plug the phone in (once again it will likely be orange) - as soon as the light is green UNPLUG and power on...and wait for boot up to finish - plug in one last time - as soon as it is green unplug and use the battery all the way down the zero without plugging it in or charging in anyway - recharge to 100% and your are good Some people like to clear battery stats (root only)...but I have read articles this is pretty much a waste of time as the phone resets the stats itself regularly. If this helps...do it every few months. IF NOT...take your phone to the store you bought it ... and see if they can exchange the battery. if they wont..call customer service and ask them to send you and exchange.
Thanks for the reply. As an example, I took the phone off the charger at 7:30 this morning. Checked e-mail, send off a couple of texts, installed 2 apps, and looked at my stock marked app 3 times with manual updates. So I did fiddle with the phone a bit. No games, streaming, web surfing. It is 11:30 and I have 63% power remaining. No phone calls today. Everything is off (4g, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS), screen brightness is at 40%. I have K9 mail checking every 30 minutes and Facebook updates every 4 hours. I do have GMails set to push (I don’t even know if you can turn it off). No widgets such as weather, stocks, etc. are running. The only widgets I have are used for toggling settings. I deleted them all from the screen. Not sure what else I can turn off. The battery indicates no programs are running and the screen uses most of the power (as expected). Stock launcher is running. I did not condition the battery. I did go through 2 cycles where I charged it and let it completely die. I thought that was conditioning. What you are suggestion sounds like “bumping” the battery. I thought you need to do this every time you charge the battery and it is not recommended as it shortens battery life significantly. I am willing to do it a few times if it really helps, but doing so every time you charge the battery seems like a pain. Also, I don’t care if I have to buy a battery in a year anyway. I am trying to stay away from the extended battery as I keep the phone in my pocket (no case), and in a holster when I listen to music. I am also looking at a car mount that will not accept the extended battery. But I have not actually held the phone with the extended battery; it may not be that bad, and it probably won’t be a big deal to find cases for the extended battery. I was planning to go to the Verizon store and see if they have one open for me to see how much bigger it makes the phone.

jbg25

Reaction score
Yes...we often call it bump charging...but the HTC support thread I read this on...they referred to it as conditioning a new battery.

They only recommended doing this with a new battery, or after an OTA/switching ROMs. In fact, they specifically said not to do it very often and also, said the best thing you can do after the conditioning...is charge your phone whenever you can. The fewer times you let it drain for a deep cycle the better.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As an example, I took the phone off the charger at 7:30 this morning. Checked e-mail, send off a couple of texts, installed 2 apps, and looked at my stock marked app 3 times with manual updates. So I did fiddle with the phone a bit. No games, streaming, web surfing. It is 11:30 and I have 63% power remaining. No phone calls today. Everything is off (4g, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS), screen brightness is at 40%. I have K9 mail checking every 30 minutes and Facebook updates every 4 hours. I do have GMails set to push (I don’t even know if you can turn it off). No widgets such as weather, stocks, etc. are running. The only widgets I have are used for toggling settings. I deleted them all from the screen. Not sure what else I can turn off. The battery indicates no programs are running and the screen uses most of the power (as expected). Stock launcher is running. I did not condition the battery. I did go through 2 cycles where I charged it and let it completely die. I thought that was conditioning. What you are suggestion sounds like “bumping” the battery. I thought you need to do this every time you charge the battery and it is not recommended as it shortens battery life significantly. I am willing to do it a few times if it really helps, but doing so every time you charge the battery seems like a pain. Also, I don’t care if I have to buy a battery in a year anyway. I am trying to stay away from the extended battery as I keep the phone in my pocket (no case), and in a holster when I listen to music. I am also looking at a car mount that will not accept the extended battery. But I have not actually held the phone with the extended battery; it may not be that bad, and it probably won’t be a big deal to find cases for the extended battery. I was planning to go to the Verizon store and see if they have one open for me to see how much bigger it makes the phone.

The phone in your pocket could be cutting your reception, causing your phone to use more power to get a better signal.
I'd check your about phone, battery, what's using my battery, cell standby and see if there is any time without signal.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

T

TheAlpha

I'm thinking of factory resetting cuz my RAZR lags sometimes and responds slowly. I was wondering what exactly is does and what I can do to save AS MUCH AS I CAN before doing it. Thx:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForum

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a free app, backup master in the market. I just use for SMS/mms saving, but it does apps and more...

If your rooted titanium backup does app data..

Your Google account saves contacts.
Pics, video and music stored on SD is safe.

The Razr shouldn't be lagging... :(

----posted maxx'ed out----

T

TheAlpha

There's a free app, backup master in the market. I just use for SMS/mms saving, but it does apps and more...

If your rooted titanium backup does app data..

Your Google account saves contacts.
Pics, video and music stored on SD is safe.

The Razr shouldn't be lagging... :(

----posted maxx'ed out----

Sometimes it does.. so i can essentially save everything I have on NY RAZR?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

eidian

Reaction score
Before you do a factory reset, if you're rooted, download the free version of Motomizer and use the "Wipe Dalvic Cache" option. Wiping out the Dalvic cache and having the phone reload all of the applications can really help.

T

TheAlpha

Before you do a factory reset, if you're rooted, download the free version of Motomizer and use the "Wipe Dalvic Cache" option. Wiping out the Dalvic cache and having the phone reload all of the applications can really help.

Not rooted.

eidian

Reaction score
Not rooted.

Rooting is so easy now with the utility as well as reverting back that I'd suggest at least considering it. Your situation is one that would benefit from rooting.

Running rooted ICS

T

TheAlpha

Rooting is so easy now with the utility as well as reverting back that I'd suggest at least considering it. Your situation is one that would benefit from rooting.

Running rooted ICS
Really? I thought Verizon or Motorola can now find out if you're rooted or not even if you unroot it?