Flashed RAZR files by accident. Won't turn on or charge - even with factory cable.

jmonty42

Reaction score
So I accidentally tried to use the RAZR utility on my Droid 4, obviously that was not good. It failed and powered off for good it seems. It won't take a charge and it isn't recognized by my computer. I purchased a factory cable adapter from Team Blackhat to try to fix it. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to help at all. RSD Lite still doesn't detect it and my computer's device manager doesn't seem to recognize it either. Any suggestions?

GigaJake

Reaction score
The factory cable won't charge it, but it is your ticket out of a bricked phone if your battery is dead. While the device is completely turned off, plug it into your computer using the factory cable, and press and hold power and vol down for a few seconds, then release. Try various usb ports, whatever it takes to get it to boot into fastboot mode.

If your phone is truly dead and won't boot into fastboot mode, even with a factory cable, you're going to have to sacrifice a standard cable to manually charge the battery. I've done it before, it sucks; it should be your last resort.

Also, make sure you have the latest motorola drivers. Any fastboot thread will have a link to the installer.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
jmonty42

jmonty42

Reaction score
So I've tried plugging it into different computers with different cables (with the factory adapter) and no dice. Even when I try to boot it up with the volume and the power buttons. Does this mean I will need to charge my battery first? Is there a way to charge the battery without breaking any of the warranty seals? Verizon has already sent me a replacement for this device (which turned out to be defective itself), so I don't want to risk voiding that.

GigaJake

Reaction score
To manually charge the battery, you'll have to chop off the micro-usb end of a standard cable, strip the individual wires, and hold the red and black to the correct terminals of the battery. To access those, you will have to remove the giant "do not remove" sticker on the battery.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
jmonty42

jmonty42

Reaction score
I just sent it back to Verizon. The second replacement they sent me finally worked. I'm now rooted on JB with no problems.