Fm radio for razr

eidian

Reaction score
I downloaded the I <3 Radio and TuneIn apps that both work well.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

fekish

Reaction score
Radio without using data

Hello,

Does Razr really have Radio support? I tried to find answers but people said that although is not given out of the box, it may be possible.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

fekish

Reaction score
The Razr is not capable of FM radio.

I got a bit confused here :)

Basically there is radio, through data connection.

But with no data connection we cannot listen to eadio?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Radio in the FM manner of fashion, AFAIK no. Radio in the Cellular communication manner, yes. It can be confusing when people mention the "radios" in the phones, and then some question whether the phone can do FM radio, but all data at the moment points to a no. Several attempts have been made to port over the radio APK that runs on the Droid X and OG through at least D2 models (and works), but it doesn't work in the RAZR. I tried it and I remember it sat there saying "searching" if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, it CAN play Internet Radio (stations streamed over the WWW). TuneIn is what I use for basic radio, and I also use ScannerRadio for listening to police and fire locally, and Pandora for a nice personal touch to music listening - my OWN FM stations, if you will..., and finally a local news radio station, KWY News Radio has an APK for their AM broadcast which comes through with NO STATIC (an awesome upgrade from the terrible dropouts of AM under overpasses, etc.).

There are many other alternatives for both Internet radio stations and local broadcasts that are mirrored over the internet (as the ScannerRadio is). Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

fekish

Reaction score
Radio in the FM manner of fashion, AFAIK no. Radio in the Cellular communication manner, yes. It can be confusing when people mention the "radios" in the phones, and then some question whether the phone can do FM radio, but all data at the moment points to a no. Several attempts have been made to port over the radio APK that runs on the Droid X and OG through at least D2 models (and works), but it doesn't work in the RAZR. I tried it and I remember it sat there saying "searching" if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, it CAN play Internet Radio (stations streamed over the WWW). TuneIn is what I use for basic radio, and I also use ScannerRadio for listening to police and fire locally, and Pandora for a nice personal touch to music listening - my OWN FM stations, if you will..., and finally a local news radio station, KWY News Radio has an APK for their AM broadcast which comes through with NO STATIC (an awesome upgrade from the terrible dropouts of AM under overpasses, etc.).

ok thanks,unfortunately this is the only reason for me to cancel my potential purchase of the Razr :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ok thanks,unfortunately this is the only reason for me to cancel my potential purchase of the Razr :(

Wow, FM radio on the phone really matters that much? I'm not passing judgment, just trying to understand the reasoning behind such a "deal killer" for you. Almost ALL local FM radio stations now broadcast in HQ over the internet and you can listen even where FM reception is bad. The ONLY reason you might need a true FM receiver is in the instance of a short range broadcast such as in a local Gym or at a Open House (Realtors use them), or other similar instance.

Have you even taken a look at TuneIn? It has a "Local Stations" link which populates all the radio stations in your geographical area automatically. You can then "favorite" the ones you listen to most and they become one-touches.

fekish

Reaction score
I am using Android for 3 years, and yes TuneIn is a fin app.
But i dont have unlimited data plan. So when i go for a walk, or want to listen at a live match through headphones i dont want to be carrying with me a separate fm radio.
I think a lot of people see this as a major disadvantage, and i dont know why Motorola is neglecting it...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hello,

Does Razr really have Radio support? I tried to find answers but people said that although is not given out of the box, it may be possible.

You'll find your answers in the thread I am merging this post with. Please refresh your browser and view the other posts.

Closing and merging.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am using Android for 3 years, and yes TuneIn is a fin app.
But i dont have unlimited data plan. So when i go for a walk, or want to listen at a live match through headphones i dont want to be carrying with me a separate fm radio.
I think a lot of people see this as a major disadvantage, and i dont know why Motorola is neglecting it...

OK, unlimited data is an issue, but I can tell you that the amount of data for streaming audio at typical bitrates isn't going to be huge. At 128Kbps (called "Near CD Quality"), a 1 hour broadcast would be 56.25 megabytes, which is a little more than 1/2 Gigabyte per 10 hours of listening. Most Internet radio stations broadcast at lower bitrates, 96K, 64K, and even 32K (especially talk radios), so you could be looking at as much as 80 hours per GB at the 32Kbps rate for "live matches".

fekish

Reaction score
Yes thanks :)

But unfortunately (or good for us customers) there are so many smartphones out there with Radio FM support, that i will not change my habbits because Motorola didnt want to put this on their phones... :icon_eek:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hi, just wanted to make a quick introduction. I can't wait for this phone to come out and will preorder as soon as it becomes available at Verizon. I've been waiting to pick up an android phone, and this one is sure to have it all.

-Dan

Yes, you are right. There are certainly other options out there. I'm sorry the RAZR isn't going to meet your needs, but I'm sure you'll find a suitable phone. The huge benefit we as Android users have is choice! Good luck on your search. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

fekish

Reaction score
i am a Motorola fanboy, but unfortunately (as it happened to me 6 years ago also with Sony Ericsson) at some point small mistakes by brands lose their loyal customers...