Galaxy S4 Stuck in cycle of "installing system update" after 4.4

buckshot4

Reaction score
I have a galaxy s4, previously running 4.3, verizon carrier, i believe the i545 model, i have never installed any different rom software or anything, only what the phone gives me as updates

I downloaded the update an hour ago, and then it said it was installing it, after installing it reboots itself, then goes back into the little green android with the spinning blue thing saying "installing system update". It goes through it again, then reboots , and goes back to installing the update.. what do i do?

I am now unable to use my phone.. Please help...

Mantikor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I have a similar problem but the thread you directed to does not help. In order for it to help I would need be able to access something through my computer. It is in a constant state of update and has been for a week now. I see the little green android with the spinning blue thing saying "installing system update" and when it completes it starts again and I watch the thin blue line creep across the screen until it is seemingly complete only to watch it do so again and again and again for a week now. Please, if you can, suggest something I might do to remedy this before I go completely nuts.

Mantikor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
By the way, this is my wife's phone and I am not sure what version it is updating from or to . . . in case it makes a difference.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Is Is there anything on this phone that you absolutely can't live without? Pictures, video, etc?

If the answer is no then you can download and install Samsung Kies onto your PC, plug the phone in, and do a factory data reset.

Alternatively you can do it from the phone itself. Press and hold the power button+volume up button+Home button at the same time until you see your recovery screen.

Scroll down, using the Volume buttons, and highlight "wipe data/factory data reset".

Select that option by pressing the power button.

Last edited:

Mantikor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer.

I downloaded the Samsung Kies program but, as the phone is locked into this system update installation loop, the computer does not recognize that the phone is attached to it. I have tried doing a hard-reset like you describe but it doesn't seem to be working either: the recovery screen does not come up and it goes straight back to installing the system update. . . . sigh . . .

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok so pull the battery out, stick it back in, and then try the volume up+power+Home button.

You can also try a battery pull then press and hold Volume Down, power button, home button. That should put you into download mode. If you can get into download mode you are half way home.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You can also try Safe Mode:

Power the phone off (battery pull if needed).
Press the power button.
Once the phone begins booting up release the Power Button and press and hold the Volume Down button.

Mantikor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
That did it! :D

It was the battery pull, press and hold Volume Down, power button, home button. Kicked it out of the loop and everything is now working normally! Thank you so much. You should get lots of good karma for that - my wife is soo happy and that means my life will be far more peaceful.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You are most welcome. It's happy days for everyone when the wife is happy.

VBlackshadow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Glaxy S4mini
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you could spare a few to help as the above steps haven't worked for my S4 stuck in the "installing system update loop"

When I try the volume-home-power route, a screen come up with "Warning" (custom OS download option screen). Doensn't matter which option I choose (restart/attempt to dl an OS): the phone freezes on the samsung screen when i press down to restart or freezes on the download OS screen.

When I try the factory reset route (Volume up-home-power), it just goes straight into the Installing system update screen, without giving me the option to "wipe data", and then either freezes on 25% or flashes "error" and reboots, again getting stuck on the Samsung screen.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have literally just got the phone today! :(

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Load the Kies3 Software into your Windows PC.

Place phone into download mode:
Volume Down, Home, and power.

Press volume up at warning screen.
Connect to PC

In kies go to Tools / Upgrade and initialize

VBlackshadow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Glaxy S4mini
Thanks for the response!

Ok so once I've entered my model number & S/N into Kies, an error message appears saying Model GT-I9195 does not support initialisation... any ideas?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Thanks for the response!

Ok so once I've entered my model number & S/N into Kies, an error message appears saying Model GT-I9195 does not support initialisation... any ideas?
What country are you in, and service provider do you have??