Gingerbread Theme Resource Thread

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I successfully themed all but 4 or 5 images in SystemUI.apk. BUT, I have two images that I can't find and they may be in framework. I included a screenshot if anybody can help... it is the main pulldown bg, gray in the pic and the "ongoing" bg....

OSX2000

Reaction score
Ok, I successfully themed all but 4 or 5 images in SystemUI.apk. BUT, I have two images that I can't find and they may be in framework. I included a screenshot if anybody can help... it is the main pulldown bg, gray in the pic and the "ongoing" bg....

"shade_bg.png", and "shade_header_background.9.png", respectively, and they're both in SystemUI.

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Title bar portrait is now used for the "verizon wireless" bg. I changed shade bg and it didn't work. I have heard that those are sometimes controlled with a hex value in framework, I am going to be looking at that tonight...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
Yes I'm on LiquidGingerBread 1.2 and I have been going CRAZY! trying to figure out how to change the background shade_bg.png! I've changed it through many programs and different methods with no success. Everything else has changed but the shade_bg.png so I am super interested in the hex value thing your talking about. If anyone can help me please PM me! Thank you guys in advance.

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure yet, but I believe there is a hex value for it and the "notifications" background in the colors.xml in framework.... I am going to be looking at that tonight after work....

antwonjenkins

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure yet, but I believe there is a hex value for it and the "notifications" background in the colors.xml in framework.... I am going to be looking at that tonight after work....

thank you and if I knew anything about hex editing I'd help but that's a tad over my head. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though. does the UltimateDroid's GB ROM have any issues with the notification bar background not sticking? or ProjectElite's?

es0tericcha0s

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been hardcore theming Gingerbread the past week or two and have learned alot. The pull down screen does support transparency. I replaced the shade_bg with my own 480 x 854 image with no issues. There is also an XML that invokes the color as well. It's located in res / Values / drawables xml. I changed it, but I don't think it makes any difference if you change the original png. I could be wrong about that though. Edit: I just remembered that I also changed the status_bar_background.png in framework-res.apk res / drawable-hdpi to the same image, so not 100% sure which one is more significant. So, if one doesn't work, just do both. :) Anyway, it's almost finished, but I want to change the title portrait still as it's quite a bit larger than I wanted, but here's a quick screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51069968@N04/5469160598/ es0tericcha0s

Last edited:

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Poppin' in a little late on this but LGB points to #cc00000 in res/layout/status_bar_tracking.xml and other ROMS point to the shade_bg instead.. that's why lgb doesn't change the pulldown and other roms might do this also.. UD and CM7 are fine and I think jimmydene said ss is good also.. I took the status_bar_tracking.xml from UD and tossed it in the lgb SystemUI.apk for a quick fix but I never found anyone to test it... so if lgb is still havin issues with the pulldown applying, let me know and we can test the fix....

On a side note, since most roms don't have the UI tweaks to change text color on GB, I went ahead and changed them myself.. clock and date are affected by bright_foreground_dark # in values/colors.xml and the text color on the notification tabs inside the pulldown is in res/value/styles

<style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.Title" parent="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar">
<item name="textStyle">bold</item>
</style>
<style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon" parent="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar">
</style>
<style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.EventContent" parent="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar">
<item name="textColor">#2e9afe</item>
</style>
<style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.EventContent.Title" parent="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.EventContent">
<item name="textSize">16.0sp</item>
<item name="textColor">#100af1</item>

The top highlight is just another color code for light gray and the bottom one points to ?colorPrimaryInverse I think.. just change that to how I did.. and the tab itself is a .9.png in framework, status_bar_item_background_normal and no normal I think.. now ya don't need to keep the white tabs.... Sorry if this wasn't a great 'find' and you already knew of it... lol. But for me it was great cause normally the user can change all this themselves within the ROM...

Edit: yep, looks like es0 already knew this... lol

Last edited:

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just an interesting observation, in the latest CM nightly the statusbar_background.9 is back in the frameworkres and not the systemui.

Its always been there ... just not utilized

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
SO just so i'm clear, I only need to add my dropdown as shade_bg? Don't even need to touch status_bar_background.png?

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
SO just so i'm clear, I only need to add my dropdown as shade_bg? Don't even need to touch status_bar_background.png?

As long as the rom is pointing to the png then yes.. I just renamed my status_bar_backgrounds... no need to resize...

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
OK, I hope I am not alone here ... this GB has me against the ropes!!

I have tried to replace the images only in the market on a few ROMs with no luck, not sure why but they don't seem to "stick". Kinda thought it was odd, but moved on. Then Gmail dropped last night and I am having the same issue! just simply trying to change out the icons and the only thing that will stick is the app icon! Everything else is the same!!

Am I going crazy here? Please tell me I am not alone!

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Not to beat a dead horse ... but I am even more baffled ...

I just tried to invert the new Gmail figuring it would be an epic fail being how I can't even get the images to change. Much to my surprise it worked lol

I've never attempted to invert an app before but here it is if anyone wants it.
You can either extract the apk or flash the .zip.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse ... but I am even more baffled ...

I just tried to invert the new Gmail figuring it would be an epic fail being how I can't even get the images to change. Much to my surprise it worked lol

I've never attempted to invert an app before but here it is if anyone wants it.
You can either extract the apk or flash the .zip.

Yank, that's AWESOME!! Thank you!