Gingerbread Update

deborah3756

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is an update just for Nexus or will all Androids eventually receive it? Also, what wil be different about this update?

Just wondering what all the hoopla is about.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID2

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes we will be eventually getting gingerbread but it could take a while. From what I understand there will be some ui changes but that's about all I really know.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

piffey

Reaction score
There are rumors that Gingerbread will be out as soon as November 19th, but other than the UI enhancements we've seen there hasn't been much else leaked. I'm guessing another jump in performance and hopefully we'll actually be able to use proxy servers in this version.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Supposedly there is a new kernel coming with gingerbread as well.

Sent from somewhere...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Oh, no doubt. Any update plugs whatever hole they can find to fill. Which just means that the old saw is true -- if you're going to root, root now! There's no guarantee it'll be possible in two weeks. :)

But that's a bit off-topic. Any rumor we've heard is just that -- a rumor. This, however, is not.

Nexus One to get Gingerbread OS? ? The Register

That's all we really know... :D That and if Gingerbread is possible on the D1 (and there's tacit implication that it is possible, and I mean stock, because we know ROMs will have it within a month of the source hitting if not sooner) it will hit for the D2 soon. Just need to get Blur on it.

Taegost

Reaction score
So, I saw a thing on Android Central this morning that apparently the Nexus One is supposed to get the 2.3 update first...
I got mine this morning on my new Droid 2, and it appears that I'm not the only one... I've seen a few people on this forum that have it already.
And the "easy root" method in the sticky in the D2 forums here works perfectly for it :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't the motorola 2.3.20 update?

61ceb45e-8018-61f9.jpg

See how the android version is still 2.2

MrKleen

Reaction score
So, I saw a thing on Android Central this morning that apparently the Nexus One is supposed to get the 2.3 update first...
I got mine this morning on my new Droid 2, and it appears that I'm not the only one... I've seen a few people on this forum that have it already.
And the "easy root" method in the sticky in the D2 forums here works perfectly for it :)

You have been around for a while so you should know that you did not get Android 2.3. 2.3 is not available for a while. You just got the 2.3.2 update.

Taegost

Reaction score

You have been around for a while so you should know that you did not get Android 2.3. 2.3 is not available for a while. You just got the 2.3.2 update.

Ahh, you are correct. I just got the D2 and haven't had a chance to really learn about it yet. I thought it was kinda weird seeing all those things, especially since I didn't notice much of a difference with the OS itself :)
Way to go Moto for making things even more confusing!

ackern

Reaction score
I thought it was the 2.3 Android update as well. I was waiting to add a custom rom until they updated to 2.3, guess i don't need to wait now.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
ackern;

If you're not rooted, root now. There's no benefit to waiting to root other than learning how and what you're doing, and every update makes it harder to root. :) If you're just waiting for ROMs, don't worry. As soon as the code hits the gingerbread goodness will be available in ROM form before it hits stock, so... Just have fun. :)

Mike55

Reaction score
Any new updates on this