Gmail Notification Number Unread

xjeff99

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just upgrade from a S4 to the Note 4 and so far love it. I haven't had the time to really delve into the inner details of the phone, however one thing I have noticed is that I can't get this one feature to work - the unread messages from GMail on the icon. Any idea?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I didn't have that on my note 3 and quite frankly hated it when it was one my Turbo. I'm not sure if it's something you can enable or if it is model specific.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think that feature is phone model specific, whether or not the phone has a Badger app to display those unread numbers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If the phone won't do that stock, another homescreen launcher will. I use Apex with Apex notifier. Nova should do the same too

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Commenting so I can find this thread later.

I just sent myself a couple of test emails to check this. So far, with only one received, I don't have the counter badge either.

Not really a big deal to me for gmail, but it's funny if it doesn't work that way for it, because I get the unread badge for Facebook often times before the Facebook app lets me know I have a notification. Facebook Messenger also shows the number of messages waiting.

Having typed all of that, I've not received 3 emails and don't have a badge on the icon letting me know.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that gmail now supports multiple email addresses. I made sure to select the account that I had sent the emails to in my gmail app and backed out, but still don't see the badge. I have several addresses setup in there.

As CJM said, many launchers (homescreen replacements) offer a counter function like this.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that gmail now supports multiple email addresses. I made sure to select the account that I had sent the emails to in my gmail app and backed out, but still don't see the badge. I have several addresses setup in there.

As CJM said, many launchers (homescreen replacements) offer a counter function like this.

I have my G Mail app pulling mail from two different Hotmail accounts. But I only get unread counts for my primary G Mail account inbox, not the other accounts. On my Droid Maxx I get unread badger counts on the G Mail app, Phone / Dialer app, Messaging app and the stock E Mail app.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry, yeah. I get unread counts on the dialer. I don't think I get them on Hangouts, but I did on the stock messaging app. The account I have setup in the stock email app doesn't get very many emails, so I'm not sure on that one, but I'd assume I get them there too.

I thought I did on gmail, but the address I sent my test emails to was my primary gmail account. It's the one I use all the time and give out to people who's emails I actually care about. Haha!

The other is my Outlook account, which I previously only used for my resume, but now I sign up for certain things where the emails aren't as important for me to get, which is silly, since I've got that account setup in my gmail app as well.

3 of the other 4 I have setup in there, I need to delete because I changed the host for my website, so I've got to setup new addresses with the new host and on my phone.