GNOTE4 vs. GNOTE5

cece5702

Reaction score
I'm due for an upgrade soon and not sure which one to get. I currently have the GNote3. Some say get the 4 others say wait for the 5. My question is how much of an upgrade is the 4 from the 3 as it relates to features, etc?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm not going to be much help here but will say I love my note 4. Everyone complains about lag but after the lollipop update I did an FDR and haven't had any lag issues. I don't have battery drain and camera focus issues but VZW is sending a replacement for me to try.

I have had some free time this evening and after having the phone since February I am just forcing myself to really use/learn some of the S pen and other features and have to say that if I can use them more and get familiar with them they will be very helpful/useful features.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you are enjoying your GN4 so that's helpful. Thanks

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I went to the Note Edge from the Note 3 and although on paper it doesn't look like much of an upgrade it is a much better phone. The camera is miles ahead of it, the screen is a lot better, and the pen writes better. The speaker is better as well.

The Note 3 was my favorite phone of all time and it has been solidly replaced by my Edge.

If sdcards and swappable batteries are a must for you then I would run with the Note 4. If they don't matter to you then I would go with the Note 5. It will be an even larger leap forward than going from the N3 to the N4.

Reactions: cr6
OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I never even thought of the Note Edge. I do prefer an SD card though. So I'm leaning towards the Note 4. Thanks :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well the Edge is the Note 4 with one curved side. It has the sdcard and removable battery as well. Depending on whether or not you would utilize the Edge would determine if the price difference would be worth it.

The wife likes her Note 4 and she came from the S5 which was her favorite phone of all time.

The only thing she grumbles about is me making her do a Factory Data Reset after every software update. It just makes it a better user experience even though I can't really get that point across to her lol.

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Yeah I always do a FDR whenever there is a major update on my phones. So the Edge is the Note4? Clearly I need to do more research, Lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah it is a Note 4. I guess calling it the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge would have been too much of a mouthful lol.

I really wanted the Note 5 Edge, but they decided not to make one this year even though demand for last year's was stronger than their production capabilities.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually there is a note 4, a note 4 edge and a note 5. The difference between the N4 and the N4 edge is that N4 edge has a scrolling screen on the right edge. Other than that they are almost the same phone.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I was really getting confused Lol

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Omg, me too cece5702. My son wants the just released Samsung galaxy 6 edge +. Which is a very different phone than the Samsung galaxy 6 edge. My head was swimming trying to make sure I was looking at the right phone.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
TisMyDroid I'm glad I'm not alone. All this technology is something! ☺

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
TisMyDroid I'm glad I'm not alone. All this technology is something! ☺

It's not the technology. It's Samsung. They took a play out of the Moto release 10+ new devices that are very similar book.
As far as Note4 (or Note4Edge) vs the Note5, other than the obvious no removable battery and card, the ergonomics on the 5 are a little more curved, the s pen will do more, the home button is slimmed down to accommodate less bottom bezel but the specs inside are basically an S6. With the 5s sealed battery you'll also get a smaller mah to use than what was rumored before release. If you're a power user that doesn't want to carry a charger or portable battery with you, that's something to consider as well. It'll come from the box with lollipop and its battery sucker issues and though Google promises to fix it with M, they've been promising stellar battery life improvements with their newest version since Gingerbread and have yet to keep it, only real life improvements being minor.
If you want the beast functionality of the Note4 with edged capability the N4E is the way to go. It has all the monster stuff of the original 4 plus extra goodies of the edge screen and feels just as nice in hand. I "settled" for a regular Note4 because the Edge wasn't out yet but I really don't feel like I settled anywhere but the lack of side screen. Nice camera, nice battery life (was stellar before lollipop) , The s pen is my most used feature on it and don't know how others get by with just using a phone without all the stuff an s pen brings. But that's another topic for another day.
Honestly to purchase any of the 3 will be a win over the Note3, though it is no slouch either. As good (vs the Note2 which I also own) as it feels in hand, the 4 and 4E don't feel like you're holding a phablet. They will not be mistaken for a flip phone or Dare (first total touchscreen device on Verizon) by any stretch of the imagination they are both a large step up from the Note2 and not quite minor one from the Note3.
To me going from a Note3 to a 5 would be a total cross step, no move up but the 3 to a 4 or especially 4E would be a big step up. Not a leap, like from the 2, but a big step.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I would think going from a Note3 to 5 is a bigger step up than going from a 3 to 4. Hmmmm....ok!

nalgon

Reaction score
Does Verzion still carry the Note Edge? I Do not see it on the website?