Going to Japan - what can I do with my Droid?

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
this sunday my wife will be in leaving for Germany for almost a month. If she goes into airplane mode and has wifi turned on, we will be able to talk over skype mobile?

better install FRING, native skype app requires phone service, cant talk via wifi

SquintyOS

Reaction score
Wish you luck on that. Its too bad that you can only do so much there. Especially when they have 2 or 3 major carriers compared to our lot. They had the time to focus on what they needed to do. I personally wish to use a Droid in Japan just cause I think it would go along well there, considering their wcdma. Also, DoMoCo's i-mode looks pretty reliable and wish we had somewhat of a unified mail/messaging service here.

cashman

Reaction score
Instead of using airplane mode you might want to just turn off data roaming. This allows you to see if someone's calling. Don't answer and you won't get charged. Don't make calls either. In this mode I think you can still use texting but the charges for that are still reasonable.

Phone settings > wireless > mobile networks > data roaming UNCHECK

Well.. I'm not sure how it will work but I have an idea. Use Wifi and load up Skype. Use Skype to call anyone...

dakster

Reaction score
I just got back from Japan a week or so ago, and I had my droid with me.

I had data disabled, and left the cell on most of the time. I had CDMA coverage almost everywhere. I was in Sendai, Kyoto, Nara, and Tokyo.

You can receive text messages, if I recall receiving one costs you $.10.

You CANNOT send text messages. Not sure why. I ended up sending text messages using google voice (when I was on wifi).

None of the hotels I stayed in had wifi, but most had ethernet in the room. I used a travel router I have. I was occasionally able to find an open wifi in the city, but not too often.

Making/receiving calls is $2-3 a minute if I recall, but I didn't use that since I made all my calls using sipdroid on wifi.

dakster

Reaction score
Couple more things I forgot to mention, caller ID doesn't work over there, every call I received showed up as Unknown. Kinda sucks.

Dunno how verizon voicemail works over there, I use google voice for voicemail, so I'd just wait till I got back on wifi to see who called.

I didn't really plan on using the droid for CDMA calls, I did all my calling using sipdroid when I was on wifi. The only reason I kept the CDMA voice radio enabled is because the GPS won't get a lock unless the cellphone CDMA radio is on. Even if there aren't any towers and your going completely standalone GPS, for some reason to get that first position lock you have to have your CDMA radio on.

You can flip to airplane mode once you have the initial lock and it will work just fine. I used Maverick Pro for my offline map with GPS, real life saver for a navigationally challenged person like myself. I used the offline maps and GPS constantly while I was over there.

I had data disabled explicitly using the *#*#4636#*#* trick just to be safe.

I think that's about all the Japan specific stuff I can recall for the droid. Let me know if you have any questions. Japan is a blast by the way. Try the beef tongue :)

chrisamirault

Reaction score
I just talked to Verizon at length about this question. Verizon offers a $65/month "global data package" that allows you to keep your number, access data via the CDMA network there, and basically use your Droid as you would at home. We're signing up for our trip in June/July, so I'll report back on whether it works or not.

zMd113

Reaction score
Have a great trip to Japan! I've always wanted to go there, maybe I will next year.

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Who did you find with a clue?

I just talked to Verizon at length about this question. Verizon offers a $65/month "global data package" that allows you to keep your number, access data via the CDMA network there, and basically use your Droid as you would at home. We're signing up for our trip in June/July, so I'll report back on whether it works or not.

I'm trying to do something similar for a trip next week to Curacao - how did you find someone who knows about the Global Data thing? The rep I called yesterday claimed my Moto Droid wouldn't work at all there, since it wasn't one of their "global phones".....

TahmiiJoh

Reaction score
So how did it go with your Droid in Japan? I leave in a week. Did the WiFi work?

dakster

Reaction score
Yup, wifi worked. I was able to find a couple of open wifi spots around the cities, but I mostly just used my travel router in hotels. I don't think any hotel had wifi there.

Only cities I tried to find random open wifi spots was in tokyo and sendai, and I was able to find 'em in both.

TahmiiJoh

Reaction score
I just got back from Japan and here are my 2 cents...or Yen:
1. When I got to Narita, I made a call out on my Droid to a guy in Japan no problem...but then things started to get weird.

2. When I turned on my phone at the airport, I got a welcome text then a notice that I had over $100 in data charges. I then turned off my phone. Then I bought the international data package before you leave (Via Skype on my laptop to tech support).

3. Not all areas are covered in Japan: I was in Mitaka (Tokyo) and Tokorozawa (Tokyo) and my phone did not work. BUT other areas the data worked, but no cell.

Bottom line: buy the data package before you leave, don't expect the phone to work in all areas. For the most part, worked okay. I still rented a phone for my local calls anyway.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I just got back from Japan and here are my 2 cents...or Yen:
1. When I got to Narita, I made a call out on my Droid to a guy in Japan no problem...but then things started to get weird.

2. When I turned on my phone at the airport, I got a welcome text then a notice that I had over $100 in data charges. I then turned off my phone. Then I bought the international data package before you leave (Via Skype on my laptop to tech support).

3. Not all areas are covered in Japan: I was in Mitaka (Tokyo) and Tokorozawa (Tokyo) and my phone did not work. BUT other areas the data worked, but no cell.

Bottom line: buy the data package before you leave, don't expect the phone to work in all areas. For the most part, worked okay. I still rented a phone for my local calls anyway.
hopefully somebody sees this and can help me. i just arrived in tokyo and i got the same text message, even though i said up for the global data plan before i leave. verizon customer service is closed so i cant call to ask.

did you end up getting charged for data afterall? or was it covered under the global data plan? i'm kinda scared of turning it on because of that text! but the rep told me i'd be good to use my phone like normal with this plan...

TahmiiJoh

Reaction score
I just reviewed my bill and it looked correct! So I think you can enjoy your Droid in Japan. Have fun and enjoy the food and people!!!!!

jcardona1

Reaction score
I just reviewed my bill and it looked correct! So I think you can enjoy your Droid in Japan. Have fun and enjoy the food and people!!!!!
cool thanks for the reply. i called verizon today just to confirm i'd get no data roaming charges and he said i would, at $20 per mb. so then i'm like WTF! this is completely against what the first rep told me. i told him i'd call back to straighten everything out when i was back in the states.

but you said your bill was fine right? so you had data roaming on the whole time and it was covered by the $65 global data plan?