Google Is Now Taking A Stance On Sketchy Ads

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Several days ago we learned that Samsung has baked support for ad blocking right into their browser. Of course this move is pretty controversial. On the plus side blocking ads keeps you from inadvertently downloading a virus through a hacked ad server. Blocking ads can also speed up your web browsing experience and save data. On the downside blocking ads means your favorite creators and websites get absolutely no revenue when you view their free content. No revenue would mean that creators can bring you less of the content you love.

Google may have the perfect solution. Google will now warn you when you load sites with sketchy ads and buttons. They announced "Safe Browsing" today. You will see warnings when ads present themselves as system operations (ie your system is out of date click here to update). With these warnings users will be less likely to infect their computers with malware, and can still support the content they love by leaving ads turned on.

via Google

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I thought this was pointed more towards "false" download buttons? Like when you go to a site to download a manual for something and there are 9 buttons that all say click here for download..... That is one of my pet peeves... I have found that you can hover your cursor over it and see if it starts with an "ad" address...

But none the less at least its kind of a step forward... Although not sure how comparable it is to full on ad blocking.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'm fine with anyone trying to make a buck through ads. But they are too intrusive anymore. Case in point, see the attached image. As long as sites and content providers bombard me with ads that take up most of the screen ala "Idiocracy" style, I will continue to block them out.

Attachments

• ads.png
    ads.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 309

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I thought this was pointed more towards "false" download buttons? Like when you go to a site to download a manual for something and there are 9 buttons that all say click here for download..... That is one of my pet peeves... I have found that you can hover your cursor over it and see if it starts with an "ad" address...

But none the less at least its kind of a step forward... Although not sure how comparable it is to full on ad blocking.
You are correct. It's the sneaky download buttons that may install malware.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad to see them becoming more proactive. I know we'll continue seeing ads and I don't mind people trying to make their money any way they can, but I agree that I get put-off by sites that make it hard to read the content I want to see to make that money. I don't block them though. I just learn to avoid those sites.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... these nasty and deceptive "ads" are what give the industry a bad rep. To be honest, I am surprised and irritated that Google (and any other ad company) hasn't come down on this stuff sooner. I do appreciate that they are at least finally addressing it though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm fine with anyone trying to make a buck through ads. But they are too intrusive anymore. Case in point, see the attached image. As long as sites and content providers bombard me with ads that take up most of the screen ala "Idiocracy" style, I will continue to block them out.

See... and here is my thing with people blocking ads.

First of all: I don't really see the issue with what you posted. Yes, there are A LOT of ads, but none of them cover the content of what you want to see. I'm fine with that.
2: if those ads slow your internet browsing that much (speaking generally, not specifically to you), upgrade your Internet. :D
and 3rd... the main one: If I visit a site that has really annoying ads... guess what I do???
I STOP VISITING THAT SITE. THAT'S how you send a message. THAT'S how you effect change.
Otherwise the site creator just sees "wow this advertising must be working, we keep getting more visitors"...so they keep using it. Maybe add more.
Here's a crazy thought....Maybe ... o i dunno... EMAIL the site if it is one you like and say "I am totally done here if you don't tone down the ads..."
I've done it. Photobucket. They used to have one of those ads that would pop up in the corner "Your computer is not protected!!!!" Almost exactly what this topic refers to. And you used THAT ad? ON a (once) respectable website? I was blown away. You seriously support that kind of crap PB? People might actually fall for that! Which is pretty much what I emailed to Photobucket...and that ad was gone in a week.
Wow! Crazy what happens when you communicate!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Wow! Crazy what happens when you communicate!
I'm not going to turn this into a pissing contest because you feel the need to be passive aggressive in your disagreement. You don't have the right to tell me how I should use my Internet; you're not the government nor are you my service provider, and you definitely didn't create the Transmission Control Protocols/Internet Protocols. So stop your patronizing, holier than thou attitude.

The site in my screenshot? I've contacted their support about the issues, especially with their mobile app. They've got these extremely annoying ones that render 3D assets and take up the entire screen. And they'll pop up randomly as you're using the app as well, which means you'll be in the middle of using it and click the ad because you were about to do something else when it appeared. They responded with a "We're sorry for the inconvenience" generic copypasta message. So I went up the chain and found the actual company that owns the domain and sent them an email. Their response was even better than the site admins. I got no reply back, but two days later I discovered my account had been suspended indefinitely. You're absolutely right, it's crazy what happens when you open your big, fat mouth.

Could I just stop using their services entirely? Of course I could, but why should I have to do that if I like the things they're putting out, but disagree with their financial department? And in some cases, there are no other places to get that same content so there are no alternatives.

I never claimed to be against advertisements. Though under normal circumstances I'll pay the premium for a service if it's available to get rid of them outright. The fact remains though; there are too many shoddy ads out there. The "download now" ones are some of the biggest offenders, but definitely not the only ones. You've got ones that will give people epileptic seizures, ones that play god awful sound effects, the notorious "your computer is infected" ones similar to what you mentioned. And I intrinsically believe that some content providers intentionally use the most offensive, annoying ads possible with the express intent of making you buy their premium services. That is not OK, it's a bully tactic. They are making money either way.

So I iterate once more, I'm not against blocking ads if I feel like they are more obnoxious than they merit. I have my ABP set to ignore sites that I actively support, such as DroidForums, ModDB, and others because I realize that at the end of the day, it's all about making money. But if the site owners are going to be bullheaded about it and just load their site up with whatever garbage pop ups they want, then I will take a personal stand against it. I'm not asking anyone else to, I'm not even saying anyone else should. Because I understand that's each individual person's choice how they want to go about it. These companies have the right to put up ads that bother me, and I have the right to block them if I deem necessary.

/rant

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Sorry ***** but you totally took what I said the wrong way if you think I am trying to ....be in a pissing contest.....
Other then point one, I wasn't specifically talking to you.
Chill.

TapaTurboII

Last edited by a moderator:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Jerkface?!? Come on guys. You know me. If was ticked I'd use something a bit stronger then jerkface. You make it look worse by starring it out.

TapaTurboII

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Jerkface?!? Come on guys. You know me. If was ticked I'd use something a bit stronger then jerkface. You make it look worse by starring it out.

TapaTurboII
I thought you dropped an f bomb with the stars.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Exactly. Jerkface is hardly an insult. I wasn't being a prick.

TapaTurboII