Google Play Services

kevins686

Reaction score
I sold my phone through eBay, and my buyer is telling me that he's getting an error that says, "unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped working." The phone always worked perfectly for me, and I'd never encountered this problem before. I did a factory reset before shipping it, so it shipped to him with KitKat. He says he ran the update to Lollipop and that the message is still coming up. Any suggestions?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Tell them to do another factory reset after the update.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There may be a slightly more complicated way to fix it. Settings - apps manager - scroll to all - find Google Framework. Clean the cache, force stop and restart the phone.

It's also possible that simply removing his or any Google account that may be there then restarting and adding it back.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree completely with the advice that you've been given so far, but I have to interject here that, if you had lollipop on the device and did a factory reset, it still had lollipop on it when you shipped it..

Unless you flashed KitKat onto the device and are calling that a factory reset, doing an FDR will reset it to "stock, out of the box" condition, but doesn't revert it to the OS version that it ran out of the box. It simply deletes all of your info and appears as it would if you had never set it up and used it.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
So is it safe to say, given that this phone is in perfect shape, that there is a fix and that the phone is not bricked, correct? Because now my buyer is telling me he wants to return the phone (he's "very busy" and doesn't have time to mess with it, you see).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If the phone was working fine for you, you did a factory reset and were presented with the initial welcome screen like the phone wanted you to set it up, then packed it properly and sent it off, I would say yes.

Things like that are also why I always toss an "As-is" tag on things I sell online. ;)

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
If the phone was working fine for you, you did a factory reset and were presented with the initial welcome screen like the phone wanted you to set it up, then packed it properly and sent it off, I would say yes.

Things like that are also why I always toss an "As-is" tag on things I sell online. ;)

I don't have an "as is" tag (this is the second item I've sold through eBay,so I don't know the ins and outs), but the auction was marked "no returns accepted." I've submitted an inquiry to eBay to see what they say.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's just as good if not better. I mark them as "no returns accepted", but also usually type something about "This phone is sold as is. It is in working condition and will be factory reset prior to shipping".

I'd say you're in the clear as far as ebay TOS if you listed it as no returns accepted, but I'd be interested to see what they officially tell you.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I feel you were unlucky to have sold it to someone who didn't/doesn't have a any patience and maybe shouldn't have been buying from eBay in the first place.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
I feel you were unlucky to have sold it to someone who didn't/doesn't have a any patience and maybe shouldn't have been buying from eBay in the first place.
I think you're right. I seem to remember this from a brand new phone and couple years ago, probably because it had sat in the stockroom at Verizon for a couple months and was behind on updates.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I tend to agree that you are safe to not be obligated to accept a return. Google play services may stop working for many reasons... one being use error (using incorrect password, sign in info). IMO, that the phone boots up with home screen and that he is able to get an error report would mean that the phone is fully functional, not bricked, just needs some trouble shooting. That he doesn't have time to mess with it, is his problem. Not yours. It sounds to me like he is having buyers remorse, spent money he didn't have or needs the refund for Christmas shopping, etc. I think you should stick with your "no returns accepted" plan. IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

biggdave92

Reaction score
Ebay will side with the buyer. Promise. Best thing you can do is get the buyer to pay return shipping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If you sold it under the premise of and return policy and the phone is operating properly, I would stick to it.
I would have the buyer do a factory reset and then set up Google.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Ebay will side with the buyer. Promise. Best thing you can do is get the buyer to pay return shipping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know, I have a trail of messages from the buyer describing known, common issue, one which is easily corrected. I know nothing is ironclad, but "no returns accepted" should mean something, especially when it comes to a piece of merchandise which is not defective.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I don't know, I have a trail of messages from the buyer describing known, common issue, one which is easily corrected. I know nothing is ironclad, but "no returns accepted" should mean something, especially when it comes to a piece of merchandise which is not defective.
Ask him to log on here and post his concerns. Then we will know if they are real or not..