Google Voice (rEVOlution themed)

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Hope this is in the right section.

Just wanted to post my modified new Google Voice apk. I got the XML's for the white lettering from Rori over at XDA and just added the rEVOlution backgrounds to it from Benny879's port of Manup's REVOution theme.

This is a signed apk (just throw it on your sdcard, rename to .apk, and install it as you would any other apk, you'll probably have to remove any existing version to install though.)

Blends in well with the theme.

(EDIT: this is the most current version, 0.4.1.26 I used from thebowers BlacknBold theme.)

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Just wanted to post my modified new Google Voice apk. I got the XML's for the white lettering from Rori over at XDA and just added the rEVOlution backgrounds to it from Benny879's port of Manup's REVOution theme.

This is a signed apk (just throw it on your sdcard, rename to .apk, and install it as you would any other apk, you'll probably have to remove any existing version to install though.)

Any reason you decided to use 4.1.19 and not 4.1.26? Also - did you change it to be a 4x1 widget, or did you just change your grid to be 3 columns?

EDIT: It's still 3x1, but of course, with CM and ADW you can "stretch" a widget. Looks good stretched horizontally, stretching vertically does nothing, unfortunately. It looks really nice! I wish google had done it like this to begin with!

Last edited:
OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Any reason you decided to use 4.1.19 and not 4.1.26? Also - did you change it to be a 4x1 widget, or did you just change your grid to be 3 columns?

Damn, I didn't know 4.1.26 was out. I'll go look for the apk and update it.

I use ADW, and after adding it to the home screen, ADW asks how wide it should be. i use 4 columns.

csimo

Reaction score
I had no idea you could modify these apps, and unfortunately I have no idea how to do it. I would just like to have Google Voice SMS messages in larger text.

Is that possible?

-Joe

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
I had no idea you could modify these apps, and unfortunately I have no idea how to do it. I would just like to have Google Voice SMS messages in larger text.

Is that possible?

-Joe

Lol, not by me, sorry. I haven't figured out how to edit the XML's successfully. (That is where one would control the size of the text.)

csimo

Reaction score

Is that possible?

-Joe

Lol, not by me, sorry. I haven't figured out how to edit the XML's successfully. (That is where one would control the size of the text.)

Thanks for the info. Sorry for going off-topic.

-Joe

kevdog

Reaction score
Im fairly certain this can be done (the theming and xml modifications) with apktool/apkmanager. Maybe I can play around with this tonight and see. I'm not much of a themer however I'm fairly proficient at xml editing.

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Tell you what, if you can get the text white on the newest version, I'll take care of theming it.

Deal?

kevdog

Reaction score
I havent installed this themed app yet -- can you post a picture of what you want -- it sounds like this should be a very easy change!!! And yes its a deal.

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Ok, here's a pic of what it looks like when installed from the market. (original.jpg) I just need to change the black text to white (see voicewhitetext.png) so it shows up on the darker background.
I haven't been able to find the install apk for the 4.1.26 which is installed from the market. So it might have to be pulled from the data/app and system/app folders.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you look in my themer section I have the white text already done for the widgets. Also the app itself is inverted.

kevdog

Reaction score
Ok -- Ive made the modifications, but when Im trying to reinstall the mod, it will not let me: Im getting the error:
pkg: /data/local/tmp/signedcom.google.android.apps.googlevoice-2.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]

Prior to installation I removed googlevoice via the market and rm any googlevoice related package mentioned in /system/app and /data/app.

I believe the problem obviously lies with the package signature, being that I signed it with a test key rather than the real key.

I did this once before and the only way around this was that I actually modified the vendor file where the signed keys are kept -- I can't however remember the name of this file -- if anyone could help me with this it would be great.

Thanks -- or just tell me what to do to get this installed.

stragabenz

Reaction score

alittle off topic here but what weather widget is that? you layout looks sweet man, good job.

kevdog

Reaction score
OK -- The bowers port is good -- not sure what version GV is with this port. I was able to reproduce his work with apktool, except for the individual boxes that contain the text with the individual voice messages. These are still black text on white background -- this is also what the bowers offers. Not sure how to change this.