GPS issue

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I've called verizon and they have no clue so they're sending me a replacement. I really want to fix my phone if it's at all possible. I got the recent OTS on 9/4. When I open google maps it shows me as 200 miles from where I am. After a bit it will eventually correct itself, but if I close GM next time I open it it's got me back 200 miles away. Also my location in my browser is a different location in the same general area 200 miles away. My weather and news app same thing, 200 miles away but in a 3rd location.

Everythng was working fine until the original 2.2 update, newest update fixed some issues I was having with my phone being slow, but now the gps has gone crazy. I've done battery pulls and resets and it still does the same thing.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the market to make sure you have the latest version?

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
Latest version of what? Google maps is up to date. Took it into the store tonight, but again somebody who didn't know anything about the phone. So I have to go back in the morning when the tech is actually there. Hopefully he'll have a clue what he's doing.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That was my first idea. Next up is, are you running a weather widget? Double-check the running services to see if the news and weather genie is running. If it is, try killing it and see if that fixes your problem because it may be identifying your location as 200 miles away. If it's not then I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Try turning the network location on and see if it still sends you 200 miles off track till the GPS kicks in. If so, I'm 100% out of ideas. If not, I have a hunch what's up, but since I'm no expert I'll probably be wrong. :)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Click your location on Google maps on a PC to get you longitude and latitude Download GPS status from the market and see what it tells you. Do they match? How long does it take to acquire sats? How many sats does your phone see? What is your fix/Sat ratio? What distance is your error? Is you speed (zero) sitting still accurate? Speed match to your speedo in the car (at least closely as car speedos can be off) when moving?

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
Click your location on Google maps on a PC to get you longitude and latitude Download GPS status from the market and see what it tells you. Do they match? How long does it take to acquire sats? How many sats does your phone see? What is your fix/Sat ratio? What distance is your error? Is you speed (zero) sitting still accurate? Speed match to your speedo in the car (at least closely as car speedos can be off) when moving?

They are pretty close. Sitting at my desk I see 0/3 but if I go to the window I see 9/10. When I walk to the window it's almost instantanious. It's too late at night to do the speed thing right now. Error is 157 ft

Since downloading the gps status app, when I open google maps it instantly corrects now. Although my other 2 apps are still not.

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
Network locations is already off.

I take this back, I had turned it off, but when I went into the store tonight the guy enabled it. When I turned it back off, it now will not find a location. when I go into google maps it says current location unavailable, same thing with the weather app. I didn't try the browser.

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
It had been working up until I got the new ota on Sat. I was getting a correct location inside my house. Now it won't even give a correct location when I'm outside.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Try reinstalling the update. Manually installing an update tends to fix most issues with said update.

I don't know where I'd find the mater OTA for FRG22D, but someone has it.

FRG22D updated GPS drivers, so it makes sense that if you got a bad install of it your GPS system would be greatly affected.

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I'm taking into the tech in the morning at the verizon store. I wouldn't know how to reinstall the update.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Network locations is already off.

I take this back, I had turned it off, but when I went into the store tonight the guy enabled it. When I turned it back off, it now will not find a location. when I go into google maps it says current location unavailable, same thing with the weather app. I didn't try the browser.

Everything that I have read on Android GPS says that the network location helps... not hurts. When you start a function that needs GPS it must first acquire your location to feed data. Like all GPS (stand alone included) It looks for sats based on last know location. Android uses a network location to speed that access. The network location error comes in when you have an app that needs location info and you have GPS turned off. Not the other way around

I use Google Nav everyday and I have very few issues. When I do have location sync issues, GPS status fixes it 90% of the time. Somehow it speeds a location fix. If GPS status does not fix within a minute or so, I power cycle and that fixes the other 10%, 100% of the time for me.