GPS/Map for flying

Stargate

Reaction score
GPS works in my airplane but no maps displayed because the maps must be downloaded as you travel along which works fine in cars but can't be done in an airplane. Anyone know of some sort of general map that can be downloaded internally for general use with the GPS in an airplane just for fun? I know the memory can't hold a detailed map..but maybe some general, non-detailed map??

Thanks.

SGTiger

Reaction score
GPS works in my airplane but no maps displayed because the maps must be downloaded as you travel along which works fine in cars but can't be done in an airplane. Anyone know of some sort of general map that can be downloaded internally for general use with the GPS in an airplane just for fun? I know the memory can't hold a detailed map..but maybe some general, non-detailed map??

Thanks.

Oruxmaps. I have tried them all.

OruxMaps

OruxMaps v2.0.0 Application for Android | Sports

Newps

Reaction score
Beech S35. I'm not going to bother with the Droid for a GPS program but GPS Tracker works great and will allow me to cancel my SPOT subscription.

Pickle

Reaction score
As a former old school steam gauge CFI (92-95) I say "whatever happened to VOR and NDB??"

As a current sim instructor (HS-125s at FSI) I say "I can't stand flying without a moving map!!"

I don't really have anything else to add..... :icon_ devil:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hehehehehe.

As a helicopter cfii, maps and nav (though I really wouldn't need nav) work great for me: )

500-1k agl, we are always using phones, texts, and now I have yet another GPS if needed. Redundancy is a wonderful thing!

rotordroid

Reaction score
Excellent, I'll have to try OruxMaps. I have a helicopter ferry flight from Louisiana to Cali coming up...it will give me something to play with :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
MapDroyd has downloadable maps. I never got Orux to work. Looked like you could synch maps to it somehow.

Skyranger

Reaction score
solution...

Hi guys,
I got oruxmaps to work. I downloaded the Tampa area TAC from AeroNav VFR Charts ($1.65), geo-referenced it with the desktop software from oruxmaps, and uploaded it to oruxmaps in the Droid. I was up yesterday and today and the accuracy was better than +- 1/4 nm :), well within my tolerance for a tertiary backup to pilotage / vor navigation. The geo-reference process was not intuitive, but with some trial and error, very good results can be achieved. If there is interest, I can walk thru the process/tips for folks....

Earl
:motdroidvert:

Skyranger

Reaction score
Maps for Pilots...

Disregard last, Oruxmaps now has VFR/IFR maps online that can be downloaded into the Droid and is geo-referenced to your gps position. You won't need 3g service with the maps downloaded, only a gps signal to get a fix on your position.dancedroid