Group Messages with Individual Replies

Lana30

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3, Lenovo Yoga 2 table
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone recommend an app that allows you to send one message to a lot of people but get individual replies? Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thank You!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The issue with this is it will depend on the app that the person sending the response has. That will dictate how responses are handled.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The issue with this is it will depend on the app that the person sending the response has. That will dictate how responses are handled.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
^^^ yup. You can't dictate how the responses are sent back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Lana30

Lana30

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3, Lenovo Yoga 2 table
^^^ yup. You can't dictate how the responses are sent back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I see, so basically you and all 20 of the others have to use the same app for everything to work correctly, right? If that is the case, what app would you guys recommend? Thanks for your answers, Appreciate it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought I remembered an app with an option to basically not create a group message. Something that forced your phone to send it as x number of individual SMS instead of making an MMS and being a group message. If you can find an app that does that, you should be able to get individual replies from each person you send your message to.

I think my dad does this when they come up this way to visit. They don't have data up here, so he can't get any group messages, but he likes to send us all updates on their travel.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet he uses the stock Samsung messaging app.

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Interesting question and one I had issues with not too long ago. Some of my family have iPhones, others Android. Crossing between Android and Apple products using group messaging was a mess at times because of the conversion to MMS. Not everyone would see replies as a group but others could. Made following the conversation dang ridiculous. Especially when the group text was initiated by an iPhone.

And I ramble. So *cough* here's to your question.

In some 3rd party apps like Go SMS and Chomp you can go into settings and turn off group messaging. You can still choose multiple recipients but texts are actually sent individually. Chomp fixed the issue for me. You may want to test it out to be sure it works like you want though.

Recently a friend said she likes Verizon's Message+ app. I was bewildered so I had to check it out. I have never liked any of their pre-loaded bloatware. But Surprise! It's actually a great app loaded with cool features.

Their app has a feature that after adding your multiple recipients there is a tab right below it to choose reply to: individual/group.

~noterized 7 tap'n

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
i usually just reply to the individual that sent the group message instead of replying with in the Group message its self, that way only the one that gets the text will be the original person that sent the message.

started doing that when a friend would send group messages me and to a bunch of his friends, i would send a reply with in the group message, then i would get messages from his friends saying who is this.....lol.

probably didn't help much in the way of an app but figured i would mention it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I hate group messages..as soon as you reply..if you do..you get a bunch of guys usually..hey who are you blah blah. Roflol