GRRRRR Cant Delete Text Messages, and freezing

I love the phone. it's great

YES i finally got it to delete =]!!!!!

DOWNLOAD 'SMS Quick Delete'.

it took me many tries before I was ready to throw it out the window.

my thread with (actually over 5,000 msgs) -

THIS IS WHAT I DID:
open the app (quick delete), select ONLY 1 thread!!! then hit delete - i went to bed at 11, woke up at 4 it was froze.. woke up at 630 and they were finally deleted.

left my phone plugged in all night so the backlight was on.

when it deletes the messages either in the Messages app or the quick delete app you cannot touch the phone!!! backlight must remain on and must be extreeeemly patient!

thanks
aj

cause of freezing?

there seem to be 2 different issues being discussed in this thread, freezing up 'randomly' and freezing up when you try to delete too many messages. suggest moving one of these issues for a different thread for clarity.

Hit the messages icon > You will be in ALL MESSAGES. hit menu --you will see delete--- hit delete and a box will appear by each thread--check the box and the whole thread disappears, so you can clean your text box out in seconds, If you want to just knock off a few texts. Just press/hold the message down and a box will appear asking you what to do--delete is an option.

I wondered what the text limit was--thanks for letting us know.

Hope this helps.

On the freezing phone---I have read posts on that before but not personally experienced by me and I have downloadd third party apps,

i am having the exact same problem. it is VERY frustrating!!!!:icon_evil: this phone was way too expensive for this kind of BS

i haven't had this issue yet *fingers crossed* my wife has the moto droid and it automatically starts deleting the oldest msg after about 250 or so in a thread, i'm the type that likes to keep an archive though so i usually don't delete messages of the people i regularly talk to

I do not have time to delete messages every day. What a pile

It would take you less time to clear your inbox everyday than it would to post here. That is absolutely retarded that you say you don't have enough time. It takes 30 seconds. Do it will you're taking a sh*t, I mean c'mon.

This may be a repeat ?

New to the forum..curious if there is a way to just select multiple txt & delete...not a whole thread...just maybe say 3 or 4 txt at a time & delete!!?? It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I know if i select one to delete & select another IMMEDIATELY after it will delete both...But in a conversation w/ over 400 txt it gets to be a pain :mad:. Also...is there a way to scoll to the top of a conversation w/ someone, OTHER than manually rolling all the way up to the top?! New to the phone :greendroid:...just wondering if anyone knows how to do any of these...thanks!

Yeah i just downloaded the app- Delete Old Messages. and its going well i think... 15 minutes and 87/6,002 messages deleted. for the longest time i havent been able to get my threads to delete... i have a thread with 6785 texts at the moment... this app seems to be working and of course i changed the back light setting just in case.
Thanks for the help and i hope i can help too! =P

I don't understand why people feel the need to store thousands of texts per thread.... with a limit set at 200 and set to auto delete from there, I never have problems deleting threads, and always still have enough older texts to reference back to for most situations. If you really feel you need to keep every text you get (I can't imagine why) there are apps on the market that allow you to back up your texts to your SD card. So you can set your limit at 200 or 300 or so, and just once a week back up your texts and you'll save everything, but remedy the problem of not being able to get rid of threads when you want to.

I don't understand why people feel the need to store thousands of texts per thread.... with a limit set at 200 and set to auto delete from there, I never have problems deleting threads, and always still have enough older texts to reference back to for most situations. If you really feel you need to keep every text you get (I can't imagine why) there are apps on the market that allow you to back up your texts to your SD card. So you can set your limit at 200 or 300 or so, and just once a week back up your texts and you'll save everything, but remedy the problem of not being able to get rid of threads when you want to.

I blame google. Gmail made email clean up a thing of the past, now the younger folk try to apply that to SMS as well. :biggrin:

I'm trying the "delete text message app" i'm deleting 5839 texts and it's takeing several hours. 8( hopefully it's worth it

text delete

this worked for me today. go to settings>sounds and display>screen timeout. choose the option to never time out. the screen won't turn off while the phone is in the process of deleting the thread. i had a thread going about 2200 messages (with one person!) and never thought it would be a problem until i realized my messages began to lag.

just remember to change that preference once you're done deleting the messages.

How do you not have time to delete text messages every day. It takes 2 seconds. I do agree that the smart phone shouldn't have issues deleting several hundred text messages but it does and its just something we have to live with.

Just a thought, but when I'm doing my business on the toilet, that is when I usually take the time to delete old messages that I don't need anymore. Also, when I go to bed at night, I do a quick check and delete messages, then plug it in and go to bed. Its a pain, but its so simple to maintain.

Back