Handcent SMS

thegreatone3

Reaction score
I prefer 3rd party SMS apps as well. It allows me to set custom notifications for my SMS contacts. Such as notification sounds, blinking led color, vibration, etc.
Yep. Stock Android sms is very vanilla. Apps like Handcent and GOSMS are essential apps Imo. :)

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I was using Handcent SMS on my Droid X with no problems. Loved the customization of it. When I got my Razr MAXX, I used the stock text messager for a few days and decided that I liked Handcent a lot better, so I downloaded it. Within a few days, I was getting weird text messages from 6250 that said "VXWNMN:X" - where "X" would be a number between 1 -11. I was getting this message every few minutes to every hour, day and night. I eventually had to turn off my notificiations, since it would just "DROID" me constantly. I finally called this a.m. and VZW told me that there was a known conflict between Handcent and the stock messenger and that tech was working on it (at least that's what they SAY). So, I uninstalled Handcent and since then, no strange text messages from 6250. I'll try GoSMS to see if there is a conflict with that program. The stock text messenger is just blah.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I was using Handcent SMS on my Droid X with no problems. Loved the customization of it. When I got my Razr MAXX, I used the stock text messager for a few days and decided that I liked Handcent a lot better, so I downloaded it. Within a few days, I was getting weird text messages from 6250 that said "VXWNMN:X" - where "X" would be a number between 1 -11. I was getting this message every few minutes to every hour, day and night. I eventually had to turn off my notificiations, since it would just "DROID" me constantly. I finally called this a.m. and VZW told me that there was a known conflict between Handcent and the stock messenger and that tech was working on it (at least that's what they SAY). So, I uninstalled Handcent and since then, no strange text messages from 6250. I'll try GoSMS to see if there is a conflict with that program. The stock text messenger is just blah.

6250 is a text msg letting you know you have a new email. It is annoying as hell!! I have used both Go Launcher and Handcent, the best thing to do with either app is to block the number 6250 or black list it depending on the application.

gling

Reaction score
6250 is a text msg letting you know you have a new email. It is annoying as hell!! I have used both Go Launcher and Handcent, the best thing to do with either app is to block the number 6250 or black list it depending on the application.

This is how I got rid of it;

We’re hearing from a number of readers that this service has either been turned on without their knowledge or they accepted it without knowing exactly what it does. So, what’s the problem you ask? Well, the service is notifying people with a Verizon text from VZWNMN (6250) every time this MyVerizon all-in-one email inbox receives a new email. You can attempt to add the number to your blacklist text app and block it, but then you really aren’t solving the problem and instead are just masking it. It’s annoying to say the least, but from what we can gather, most people are more frustrated with the fact that this service has been mysteriously turned on than anything.
So here is what you can do to get rid of it:
1. Login to your Verizon account.
2. Click on “Account” at the top and then “Change Features” from the bottom right.
3. Select the device you would like to remove the service from.
4. Then scroll down until you find “Contact Management” and click “Remove.”

*Note - If you aren’t able to remove the feature from within your MyVerizon account, you’ll need to call *611 and have a customer service rep do it from their end. They may not know exactly what it is at first, since this feature came out of no where, but just remind them that it’ll be listed as free feature and that you need to them to take it off of your account.

Source: Droid Life

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
This is how I got rid of it;

We’re hearing from a number of readers that this service has either been turned on without their knowledge or they accepted it without knowing exactly what it does. So, what’s the problem you ask? Well, the service is notifying people with a Verizon text from VZWNMN (6250) every time this MyVerizon all-in-one email inbox receives a new email. You can attempt to add the number to your blacklist text app and block it, but then you really aren’t solving the problem and instead are just masking it. It’s annoying to say the least, but from what we can gather, most people are more frustrated with the fact that this service has been mysteriously turned on than anything.
So here is what you can do to get rid of it:
1. Login to your Verizon account.
2. Click on “Account” at the top and then “Change Features” from the bottom right.
3. Select the device you would like to remove the service from.
4. Then scroll down until you find “Contact Management” and click “Remove.”

*Note - If you aren’t able to remove the feature from within your MyVerizon account, you’ll need to call *611 and have a customer service rep do it from their end. They may not know exactly what it is at first, since this feature came out of no where, but just remind them that it’ll be listed as free feature and that you need to them to take it off of your account.

Source: Droid Life

I don't have a "Contact Management" option on mine. I think it is AKA "Cloud Storage (Sync) - Back Up Assistant Plus". It is free, but I don't recall seeing that before. When I asked for help from VZWSupport on Twitter, the response I got was it is "back up assistance plus" - but I didn't understand what that person was talking about.

I have "removed" it from my package. Hopefully, this will clear up the problem.

kagood

Reaction score

I called Tech support and we found that it was a yahoo email account that was synced and causein the VZWNMN message from 6250. This email account was mostly for jusnk only so I was able to delete it from my synced accounts on my MOTO RAZR and all is well now. That is probably not a fix for most as the accounts you may need to delete to fix the problem may be accounts that you need. I just got lucky that my problem account was junk only. I have not re-synced the acount to see if the problem persists.

kagood

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed Handcent causing problems on the MOTO RAZR such as deleting play lists or changing ring tones / notification tones?
When Handcent does an update (seems like once a week lately) I lose my custom built play lists and all of my ring tones and notification tones are different.
VERY ANNOYING

Motorola XT-910 DROID RAZR

keliga2

Reaction score
I do have one, I can't find the setting to make it not hide my keyboard after I send a message. OP I am sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder on this thread, but I do thank you because it sparked me to try a third party SMS program. PS I love that I can finally hit the enter key to send a text message.
That's funny...I'm trying to figure out how to make the keyboard disappear after I hit send. Lol. It used to, before I upgraded, bit now it doesn't. It just hangs in there.