Handy Method for Speeding Up Your Android Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
developer-options-enabling-on-nexus5.png

Photo Credit: Gottabemobile

If your Android smartphone is feeling a bit laggy lately, or if you would just like it to feel even snappier, there is an easy method to add some pep to the UI experience on your phone. First you have to enable developer options on your device. This is usually pretty easy to do for most Android phones. It's different for many devices so you will first need to Google "developer options for XXXX smartphone" (of course replacing the Xs with the name of your phone). For the Nexus 5, it's really easy... you just need to go to Settings > About Phone > Build number and tap on the build number 7 times in succession. You will then be greeted with a friendly notification that you are a Developer for your device.

Once you have activated developer options, you will need to look for the following three sections (which may be on the main screen or in a sub-section):

• Window animation scale
  • Transition animation scale
  • Animator animation scale
At this point you will probably notice that the default animation speed for each of these is 1x. To make it faster, you need to reduce the number to .5x or smaller. Afterwards many of the things you normally do on your phone will feel noticeably snappier. (We tried it here on the Nexus 5 and were surprised by the results.)

Enjoy!

P.S. - We have word that this was the primary tweak that Apple recently used when they updated iOS to 7.1 in order for it to feel faster for iPhone owners. How sneaky and crafty of them...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup...I have been doing this ever since I could with Android. I also do this with desktop OS's too.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
No noticeable difference on my Galaxy S4, or 2012 Note 10.1, but cool nonetheless

xtor

Reaction score
Photo Credit: Gottabemobile

If your Android smartphone is feeling a bit laggy lately, or if you would just like it to feel even snappier, there is an easy method to add some pep to the UI experience on your phone. First you have to enable developer options on your device. This is usually pretty easy to do for most Android phones. It's different for many devices so you will first need to Google "developer options for XXXX smartphone" (of course replacing the Xs with the name of your phone). For the Nexus 5, it's really easy... you just need to go to Settings > About Phone > Build number and tap on the build number 7 times in succession. You will then be greeted with a friendly notification that you are a Developer for your device.

Once you have activated developer options, you will need to look for the following three sections (which may be on the main screen or in a sub-section):

[*]Window animation scale
[*]Transition animation scale
[*]Animator animation scale

At this point you will probably notice that the default animation speed for each of these is 1x. To make it faster, you need to reduce the number to .5x or smaller. Afterwards many of the things you normally do on your phone will feel noticeably snappier. (We tried it here on the Nexus 5 and were surprised by the results.)

Enjoy!

P.S. - We have word that this was the primary tweak that Apple recently used when they updated iOS to 7.1 in order for it to feel faster for iPhone owners. How sneaky and crafty of them...

I just did it on my note 2 and it made a huge difference in speed, pages open way faster. Thanks!

8th Infantry division

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Since I hate animated everything, I have always turned off this 'feature'.
And the 1x 'stuff' has been a play field for me since JB-4.3. I like the faster screen responses when you shut off the animation scaling, and I don't use the .5 scaling, all animation is OFF.
I prefer an uncluttered feel, and animation forces that cluttered feel, even if it is only for the animation. A faster screen gives one the assumption their phone is faster and more responsive.

Raydee35

Reaction score
I just bought a Note 3 and I can't seem to fins the developers options....I know I have seen it before.

xtor

Reaction score
I just bought a Note 3 and I can't seem to fins the developers options....I know I have seen it before.

Go to settings, about phone, build # tap it seven times, and developer options will be on your settings

8th Infantry division

tommyz

Reaction score
If you really want to see what these settings are effecting. Set them to 10x, it really shows the transitions well. Of course after playing set them back to .5x or zero.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Is this essentially undoing "Project Butter?"

Well basically, it usually takes as long as the animation takes, to start the program. Turning it off, makes it seem like it starts the program faster, it doesnt, you still have to wait for it to load. But it gives you the perception of everything being faster(in 1/2 the cases it may save you some time). Going from the home screen to the drawer is faster, theres nothing to load really. Going through menu's is faster. ect. But loading an app usually isnt faster as I explained, sometimes it can be though I suppose.

I always turn everything off, ever since this feature came out on the galaxy nexus.

tedZilla99

Reaction score
The 7 tap method works for the MotoX too - I like the quick action now, very cool tips!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even on launchers, I never went with the different animations. I always used the basic one(s)

I also like how Google is hiding developer settings while having it on more Android versions. Its not for everyone. Only the people that use it will be interested.