HDMI adapter box vs wire

Clyhead

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
So I just recently realized that the S5 doesn't have an actual HDMI port (didn't try plugging the micro HDMI cable I have until today) and after a quick search I have found a ton of different cables and boxes that as far as I can tell do the same thing. So is there a difference between the Samsung smart adapter and just a generic MHL micro usb to HDMI cable?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum! You might have to check Samsung's website to verify but I do know the S3 required an MHL adapter that was made specifically for the S3 so the S5 may be the same.
I still have my S3 MHL adapter so ill have to see if it works on my S5 and get back to you.
Sorry, won't be tonight though...I need to find it first.

tap'n on my S5

wcjeep

Reaction score
I also haven't checked to see if my S3 mhl works with the S5. I normally use Chromecast. The S5 can screen cast. Advantage for the mhl is to avoid using WiFi.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I found my mhl cable so ill check it out tomorrow after i get home from work and report back.

tap'n on my S5

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry for the delay! The Samsung MHL adapter I originally purchased for my S3 works great with my S5.
VCW12Mz.jpg

tap'n on my S5

crabsalt

Reaction score
Beautiful! There was no delay, I just got my phone a week ago, posted under 20 minutes ago, so you were quick in that regard. Thanks!

crabsalt

Reaction score
Yeouch, a bit expensive, was hoping for something under ten bucks via Amazon Prime. One review of the phone said that the ultimate answer is to go streaming. Doesn't work when you want to show your non-internet grandparents pics on their hdmi tv. I'll keep looking, thanks again, but I now have a better idea of the MHL/Samsung standard. This is my first Samsung and boy do I love it.

crabsalt

Reaction score
Last edited:

crabsalt

Reaction score
... I'm not addressing anyone in this thread that already has a setup; I'm posting it here for others that may come after.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Thanks for the info! Looks like a great deal.
Update:
Bear in mind, this cable only supports 60hz. (Thus the inexpensive price) If you intend to do any type of gaming, or watch any action sports or movies streamed from your phone, you're going to notice a considerable "blur" effect on your HDTV. If you can find one I would recommend 120hz at the VERY minimum. Of course if all you intend to do is browse your phone via your tv, this will be perfect.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

crabsalt

Reaction score
Hmm. Watched South Park for an hour with no noticeable blur but I'll get back if it does. I will say that it dropped the power about 2% an hour, perhaps since it isn't USB3? Anyway I just got it, and if I have issues I'll report back. I'll be watching 1080 movies soon enough (if I haven't already lost it). But thanks for the tech details, that stuff is lost on me and/or my brain is lazy.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
No problem. For standard movie viewing you should be just fine. It's when you get into heavy action scenes, car chases, etc that you'll notice the blur. Glad it's working out great for you though! Excellent price.

tap'n on my S5

crabsalt

Reaction score
Once I get to my watching station I plan on watching the last act of Man Of Steel or Avengers, both in 1080. I'll let ya know! Seen both enough that I'll notice a blur. Power loss is frustrating but considering how fast the S5 charges up on USB3 it's a minor gripe.
Thinking it over, I'll watch Man Of Steel. If there's a blur of Scarlett's acrobatics I will destroy this product via Amazon's reviews.

crabsalt

Reaction score
So I watched a lot of the last act of Man Of Steel via a 1080 mkv file on my card connected to an HDMI TV, and it was awesome. Also watched a variable-equally action show called Quick Draw from streaming source Hulu via a 3/4G connection since I was in 'the woods'. Great show, btw. Anyway, no blur on either occasions, but your mileage may vary. No blur. But as I said again, I appreciate the tech breakdown of these cheap alternatives. Yes I'm being cheap - but thanks to contributors like you, I know just how cheap I'm getting and am able to pass that on to others that we are here to help.