Hello and have some questions

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
hello everyone, i've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to register. first some background for you guys, i have a droid2, it has been rooted (z4root), and overclocked, i also downloaded the droid2 bootstrapper today, and made a backup. i am seriously considering flashing a new rom and have a few questions about it. my first one concerns all of the apps i have paid for and downloaded in the market place, will i still be able to re-download those after i flash the liberty rom? my second is if i do flash a new rom will i be able to go back to stock, as i stated before i already made a backup, do i just reload that one? and a question about the bootstrapper, my phone has been rooted a while and i froze some apps, and installed a few other apps, i just made the backup today, do i need to revert it back to completely stock before i make a backup? or is it ok the way i have done it and still have a stock copy of the rom? sorry for all of the questions at once, i just figured it would be easier to have em all in one place. thanks for the help in advance.

i have flashed winmo phones but never a android, so please assume i am a complete android idiot. thanks again.

Reaction score
my first one concerns all of the apps i have paid for and downloaded in the market place, will i still be able to re-download those after i flash the liberty rom?

Your marketplace apps are linked to your Google account, so as long as you set up your phone with the same Google account as before, you'll be able to download the apps you've already paid for without paying for them again.

my second is if i do flash a new rom will i be able to go back to stock, as i stated before i already made a backup, do i just reload that one?

Restoring your backup should restore the phone to the almost-exact same state as when you made the backup. However, some things, like the boot logo (which will be quite obvious) may not be restored. I don't know if anything less obvious will also not get restored.

The surest way to restore your phone to stock is to SBF.

and a question about the bootstrapper, my phone has been rooted a while and i froze some apps, and installed a few other apps, i just made the backup today, do i need to revert it back to completely stock before i make a backup? or is it ok the way i have done it and still have a stock copy of the rom?

I'm sorry but I'm not entirely clear on what exactly your question is. As long as you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed you should be able to make as many backups as you like, whenever you like.

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
my first one concerns all of the apps i have paid for and downloaded in the market place, will i still be able to re-download those after i flash the liberty rom?

Your marketplace apps are linked to your Google account, so as long as you set up your phone with the same Google account as before, you'll be able to download the apps you've already paid for without paying for them again.

my second is if i do flash a new rom will i be able to go back to stock, as i stated before i already made a backup, do i just reload that one?
Restoring your backup should restore the phone to the almost-exact same state as when you made the backup. However, some things, like the boot logo (which will be quite obvious) may not be restored. I don't know if anything less obvious will also not get restored.

The surest way to restore your phone to stock is to SBF.

and a question about the bootstrapper, my phone has been rooted a while and i froze some apps, and installed a few other apps, i just made the backup today, do i need to revert it back to completely stock before i make a backup? or is it ok the way i have done it and still have a stock copy of the rom?
I'm sorry but I'm not entirely clear on what exactly your question is. As long as you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed you should be able to make as many backups as you like, whenever you like.
i must have missed something what is sbf? i haven't read anything about that.

I made the backup after i had rooted it, overclocked it, froze some apps with titanium, installed launcher pro, widgetlocker, and several other things. if i reload the back up i made, will the modifications i made (mainly freezing the apps) be undone when i restore it, like it was when i took it out of the box, or will it restored to exactly as it is now after all of the stuff i have done to it. i am asking this because if i need to take it back to verizon for some reason, file an insurance claim, sell it, or just want it back stock for some reason, is my current backup going to work for that purpose. On my winmo omnia i had a copy of the stock rom, that i could flash back to if needed/wanted, i would like to have that same capability with this.

Reaction score
This thread has everything you'll need to restore your Droid 2 to stock (specifically the over-the-air update version 2.3.20), via SBF.

Download the file labeled "Droid 2 (2.3.20) System only SBF File", followed by RSDLite (the latest version is 4.9, which you can find easily with a Google search). Then follow the directions in the aforementioned thread to flash the SBF file onto your phone, and viola! Your phone will be as if you just took it out of the box.

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
ok thanks man. one more question will verizon backup assistant work to restore my contacts with liberty rom?

Reaction score
ok thanks man. one more question will verizon backup assistant work to restore my contacts with liberty rom?

Liberty doesn't come with Verizon Backup Assistant. I don't know if you can get it from the market; I never bothered to look.

In any case, your contacts should be automatically synced with your Google account (i.e. GMail contacts).

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
Nope couldnt get it from the market ill have to find it before i can flash

DROOOID 2

Reaction score

Why? Like I said, your contacts should be synced with your Google account. Look in your GMail contacts to see if your phone contacts are there.

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score

Why? Like I said, your contacts should be synced with your Google account. Look in your GMail contacts to see if your phone contacts are there.
ok ill look i don't think i have ever used it. any advice on how to do it, i cant find any options for that in my contacts or gmail app.

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
well i got the google contacts figured out i think im going to flash liberty 1.5 tomorrow, don't really have the time tonight. thanks for all of your help.