Help a rom virigin ???

Reaction score
I just recently reflashed my xoom and installed a rom on it and really like it. Now to do my X!

I have been rooted since forever. I have SBF'd before and not afraid of it. Currently I am running 2.3.4 (GB?), I sbf'd to get ota update. I am rooted and have clockwork / bootstrap installed. I have my nandroid and going to backup with titanium in a few min here.

I am looking to drop in this rom - MIUI.us DefX - 2012.5.12 - HDMI Video Out, HijackedBootmenu, Wifi Tether, Compass Fix

I like that it is still being supported and I have read good things on it. I just want to know that - I do a cache wipe / data wipe / advanced davilk (spelling?) wipe. Then install zip from sd card.

I also want to know that I have the right sbf file incase something goes awry .... I have 2.3.340 - or do I need to find 2.3.4 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I just want to be sure the rom is compatible, I have the right backups and a way to get back if something happens.

After having a taste of the Rom life on my tablet - I wonder what all great things I have missed due to being afraid of problems ....

Thanks !
Ben

leftspin

Reaction score
MIUI is a nice ROM, I ran it for several months. You will need to SBF to the Gingerbread kernel (.602 or .605) because the ROM isn't compatible with the .340 kernel. Once you're on the right kernel and rooted, just reboot into Clockwork Recovery and do all the wipes (Data/Cache/Dalvik) and install the ROM, and that's it! It works that way for any Gingerbread kernel ROM, including the ICS ones

leftspin

Reaction score
Really appreciate the reply! I thought that once a person takes the .621 update, they can't sbf to anything but?

That's kind of correct, they could flash the .604 Milestone SBF, but unless you're on .621 already what's that got to do with it?

OP
WsW-WYATT-EARP
Reaction score
I took the ota to .621.....

I found the instructions to sbf via linux to the milestone 604, I guess if I want to rom this thing that is my only option.....

leftspin

Reaction score
I took the ota to .621.....

I found the instructions to sbf via linux to the milestone 604, I guess if I want to rom this thing that is my only option.....

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that. In that case yes that's your only option if you want to install a custom ROM, but it's safe and not too difficult.

OP
WsW-WYATT-EARP
Reaction score
leftspin said:
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that. In that case yes that's your only option if you want to install a custom ROM, but it's safe and not too difficult.

Thanks for the replies! Just wanted to be sure what I was about to do was right.

I ran the Linux sbf with root and installed my 1st rom on the X - went very smooth!

Thanks again for making sure I was going in the right direction!