Help with D2G Roms...

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Ok so I'm sure its been asked a million times but I get confused since most responses are never cut and dry for me. (Please don't over-explain lol). I have rom'd Fission already (it was nice but not a major play-toy for me),and would like to try other roms. Now 13th Angel was kind enough to explain things to me a bit. But I would like to use Rubix or Liberty, or even Apex. He stated that the D2G will run them but without sensor support. Is this true? If not where and what roms can the D2G use (no bugs please)? And if not why? And is the D2G going to continue to be a complete lost cause? It would be a shame being as it's one of the most powerful devices out. Sorry if my question is lengthy and annoying, I just expain in detail to make answering easier. Any help is greatly appreciated as always from the forums!!! :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the only rom with full sensor support is fission. the rest have been ported to the global with the help of the get r done team. the reason for the bugs is that none of them were designed for the global but rather the droid 2 and there are still a few hurdles in the way of a full port. i wouldn't let that stop you though as most people i have talked to have said that the problems were well worth the benefits.

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Would you mind explaining the negative issues with the other roms? Also what is it that is making the Global Edition tougher to manage (if thats the right term to use)? And what rom would you suggest would be the best for the Global?

chrisl20

Reaction score
Accelerator, infrared, tilt,proximity(think that's infrared), light...couple more maybe? I can't remember exactly...but, they r the main reason I havnt used liberty w the romer, I like my phone functions to all work, especially since I use my keyboard alot...need the tilt and backlight

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Yea those are the sensors I was referencing. Does the romer make those work or no? And if not what rom do you use on your D2G if any? I just really want fancier stuff than Fission (although it ran great), and apparently the Droid line has issues with the signal bar display vs the dBm readout so I was looking to fix that but not at the cost of sensors ya know lol. How bout Rubix or Apex?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Fission is the only current ROM on the D2G that will run with everything working. If you want to try roms that were made for the Droid 2 and not the Droid 2 Global, you'll have to flash the GRD romer over THAT rom, however your sensors wont work (i think they got the lights on the keys working but im not sure).

So say if you play any games that use sensors such as Homerun Battle 3D, the phone wont detect any movement, so it'd be pointless to play.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
i think they got the lights on the keys working but im not sure.
I was just reading the Romer thread right before this. Your right. Keyboard lights work but sensors are still broken. If the proximity sensor is disabled, it seems like it would be a major pain to try to hang up a call since the phone wont turn on the screen automatically. Does that mean we have to hit the power button to get the screen on?

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Thanks Laser for narrowing that down lol. :) So why is the Global lacking in the rom department? And will we ever see the light on that because as we all know this phone is one of the most powerful devices on the market? It would be a shame to see it go down the tubes.dancedroid

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Thanks Laser for narrowing that down lol. :) So why is the Global lacking in the rom department? And will we ever see the light on that because as we all know this phone is one of the most powerful devices on the market? It would be a shame to see it go down the tubes.dancedroid
Why is it lacking? - My guess is time. The devs have lives outside the forum. Just be aptient. I just came from a moto backflip and trust me, be thankfull for what you have. It was about 9 months in to the shelf life before we got even got root, and the first rom we got was a hack of the official 2.1 rom for the Moto Cliq since the hardware was very similar. Now, about 1.5 years after the device launched, Kernalzilla is just now able to provide a some what stable port of Cynagon Mod 6.

Power wise - I think you may exaggerating this a bit. I may be wrong on this but it seems like a new high end Android device hits the market almost monthly these days. Factor in the dual core cpus hitting the market..I dont think it is quite at the top of the food chain like you seem to think it is.

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to be impatient. I'm just new to the whole hacking/smartphone thing. This is my first. I love my phone even stock, I just like to mess with stuff lol. And in terms of power, I mean compared to even the highest end devices like the Thunderbolt, Evo, and the Droid X (those phones for example), the Global ranks very high being as it's one of the only phones with a 1.2 ghz processor. I know I sound like I'm giving this phone too much credit but c'mon lets not deny it. That's pretty powerful and we've all seen what it can do, that's all. As always thanks for the quick responses and helpfulness.:)dancedroid

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I feel where your coming from. Last week knowing I was getting the D2G, which I didnt realize was the D2G at the time thinking it was the D2, so I had done some research and planned to go with the Apex rom at the time. Figuring out the Apex ROM was not 100% functional was a bit disappointing but I will probably end up testing it anyways. If something goes horribly wrong, theres always nandroid back ups and the SBF restore method.

clouse2013

Reaction score
To be honest the sensors issue isnt a big problem for some people. I noticed that when i type on the keyboard and then turn my phone back the right way up it goes back to normal. And really other than the sensors there are few bugs on Liberty. But if you want to be able to use a lot of themes and change your phone i would go with Liberty. Has the most themes as far as I've noticed.

nikolio

Reaction score
im running liberty on my d2g. the sensors arent a big deal for me but i dont play games that use them. i love how my phone looks and it is screaming fast. i was also wonering why people dont appreciate the d2g for its processor. i love this phone. GRD will come thru for us.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
im running liberty on my d2g. the sensors arent a big deal for me but i dont play games that use them. i love how my phone looks and it is screaming fast. i was also wonering why people dont appreciate the d2g for its processor. i love this phone. GRD will come thru for us.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

I don't think they don't appreciate the phone I just tend to feel like other phones overshadow ours but as others have said I guess all I can do is hope that over time we will get to see the roming daylight that other devices like the Droid 1 or even the original Droid 2 have. Im sure soon we will see some really awesome stuff though as of right now I'm looking at Fission 2.4.3. Because apparently the version I used before was super old lol. So I guess thats probably the best way to go as it still seems to be the most stable for us. Least we got one rom right?:)dancedroid