Hi, sorry, I may be a giant moron... :)

elderlypunk

Reaction score
Hi,

The title says it all... I'm pretty ept with tech and droid but I absolutely fumbled and dropped my poor trusty OG droid into a tub... (Trying to show my wife some dumb funny video I found... doh...)

Anyhow, I was running (quite snappily) LGB 1.6 and things were going well. The dunking was lightning-quick... I obviously fumbled, but instantly freaked out and snatched the phone out, yanked the battery, dried if off and threw it in a bag of rice (I know, lame...) overnight... The next day I got on the forums and saw the "drying done right" amazing tut... I have done all that: alcohol, silica, air, etc.... But now I may be at the end....

After a week of treatments, I powered her up and got the "Bootloader 2c.6c" ready-to-program message... I thought that was a good sign and tried to use RSD Lite 4.9 with brandy new moto drivers from the motorola website (on my xp laptop) to try and flash back to something salvagable and get going again... No dice... No matter what I do RSD conks out at "Switching to BP pass through mode" and the AP and BP Motorola flash devices dissapear at that exact moment. RSD Lite shows fail due to the BP passthrough problem, but the phone still thinks it is updating... For way over an hour... The only thing I can do is a batt pull... That gives me the "corrupt code" bootloader error, and no access to recovery...

I can flash SPRecovery onto the poor beast, and can use that to restore to clockworkmod, but no matter how I try to install my nandroid backup (or other roms) which all appear successful, I keep ending up with "Bootloader 2c.6c" ready-to-go when I try to boot.

I saw another post saying that a similar problem was because bootloader 2c.6c was out of date and that 2c.7c is needed, but the "9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip" which was recommended throws an error about "build.date" being less than a given integer when I try to install it.

Basically almost all the "update.zip" stock Verizon stuff I try to install gives a build-date error in SPRecovery and Clockworkmod, and everything except "recovery-only" type SBFs die in RSD with "BP pass through mode" errors".

At this point I assume I cooked something but fierce in my poor phone, but since I have no insurance my only options are: 1. ["What, Verizon store people? The water indicator is red? I have no idea?! Hurr Huur! I need another phone! *pray* ] or 2. [ buying an old droid on the inter-tubes]; or 3. [fix it (lol, I know...)]

I figured I would solicit advice, or ideas, or prayers that the wizened D1 community might have... Any and all is appreciated. My lame last-ditch hope is the "old bootloader" thing I mentioned, but I do not have much hope, or any idea of how to fix that.... If anything, a theory about what part of my poor D1 I fried would be entertaining and appreciated... I figure the "BP flash" thing has something to do with the baseband, but what does a dum-dum Droid-drowner know? Obviously not much... Anyways, any comments are appreciated... Thank you!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its dead my friend. Best bet is to buy a used one off ebay. How long till your upgrade?? VZW might, and I mean very off chance, let you upgrade early.

sent from somewhere...

OP
E

elderlypunk

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Oh well.

I tried to upgrade online, but I'm not due until May 2012, so the auto-verifier shot me down. I suppose I could go to the store and hold my breath and stomp my feet, but I doubt that would have much effect.

At least the D1 is relatively cheap used... I think I've seen them on swappa.com and other places for about $100. Given that the insurance deductible is $7 a month, and the deductible is $50, I guess the cost works out about the same. I just need to not be a spaz in the future.

Thanks again for responding! Have a good one.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes, that is sad, but I must commend you on your efforts. The steps you outlined that you went through shows a pretty good level of being able to try every last thing in a logical order, and not only that, be able to express your situation and ask your question in a very readable manner. I know you know what I mean.

On the other note, I get VERY nervous about taking my droid anywhere near the bathroom at all! Kind of like setting my glasses down on my bed, they're sure to get sat on, lol.

good luck

OP
E

elderlypunk

Reaction score
Thanks... Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of these posts are pretty horrendous as far as grammar and overall content. Some of the questions are real groaners... I consider myself pretty tech-oriented, but when I first got this phone I was a TOTAL know-nothing. But there are so many amazing tutorials on this site, and the forums are so active, that it kills me that people keep asking questions that have been answered comprehensively about a million times.... This site is like a knowledgebase to the Nth power.

If I can learn how to flash/hack/root/molest my droid, then anyone can. The dudes and dudettes who run (and contribute to) these forums have their business wired pretty tight, so there's really no excuse...

With regards to you being careful with your phone, I hear you there as well. I am usually also quite careful, but I was kind of tipsy and (TMI WARNING) while paying the beer tax my phone rang and I fumbled it taking it out of my pocket... Thank god I was at home and am also a neat freak... lol (END TMI)

Anyways, I found a replacement on ebay for $150 with a case, car dock, and home dock. And now I have a spare battery and SD card. Assuming I can keep my own idiocy in check from here out (yeah, right...) it seems to be an "all's well that ends well" sort of deal.

Take care!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
One last piece of advice then from me. Since you have a spare battery, go ahead and get a battery only charger if you don't have one already. I've had one and a spare battery since release day and both of my batteries are still in gr8 shape. Plus, it helps the TMI factor while flashing and you suddenly realize you've killed your battery to the point where it will take hours to charge while in the phone. . . . .

good luck

Oh yeah, in case nobody else has said :welcome: there you go!