how much life does the d1 dev community have left?

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
hey all. I've had my d1 since xmas 09 and warrantied one out. the second one finally gave out on me after a drop through my pocket with a hole in it :( so now I'm just wondering if I should spend 75 bucks on a d1 so I can continue to mod it or if I should wait a couple months save money and decide between the d3, db, droid razr, or galaxy nexus. heres the problem tho, I dont have an upgrade(we have one upgrade on the account but my brother is using it to get an iphone 4 :icon_ nono2: I tried convincing him he needed a smartphone when the d3 was bogo!!! but oh well im getting side tracked, hes taking the upgrade and I want to be able to mod whatever I get without a doubt. so how much longer will we be seeing mods on the d1? should I go for something cheap that can hold me over for the year that I have till an upgrade to something a lot better or just save for a couple months and pick something new up? are there really any game changers that would warrant the huge price tag in comparison to the really inexpensive d1? I have a xoom so Im not concerned about missing out on cool new ics features. I guess I should also state why I posted this here, because miui is obviously one of the most polished dev teams and its probly what I would be running if I get another d1. thanks for the feedback

groovydeus

Reaction score
Well...I can't say how long the devs are gonna keep at it, but I plan on keeping my D1 going for now. None of the new handsets really grab me and, to be honest, I am in the 'larger is not always better' camp. I (of course) carry my phone everywhere and am not about to use a belt holster/clip (imo like wearing a fanny pack). I really like the form factor of the D1 (and the new I phone 4S for that matter). Fits nicely in a front pocket.

Pete is continuing to produce...and is indicating at least a version "18" for D1. There are 4 or 5 pretty active threads still running. I'd guess we have 6mo to a year of active support left...and who knows how lon the final versions will remain viable - Petes last Froyo mod is probably 8 months old and one of the more active threads.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
C

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
awesome im glad to hear others are still loyal to their droidz lol guess Ill probly be getting that today and having it turned on. can anyone tell me what the fee is to have a phone activated?

g_what

Reaction score
awesome im glad to hear others are still loyal to their droidz lol guess Ill probly be getting that today and having it turned on. can anyone tell me what the fee is to have a phone activated?

I've never done it, but I am pretty sure you can activate your own phone by calling *228 and going through the activation process. My guess is you need your account information/password.

Ozzie

Reaction score
*228+ is what I've been doing. The plus comes from long pressing the 0...

...and I spoke with a Verizon rep about upgrading...was told I could switch between phones by doing the activation, so a person can still play if they want.

OP
C

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
got it today and im about to load up miui :icon_ banana: thats really cool that you can switch back and forth, makes me want to blow a bunch of money on several phones and switch by the week or something ridiculous like that lol