[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Couple questions -

1. Why do you need to use root explorer? With ASTO i can navigate to this folder and there is a rename and a delete option when I long press on the application....

2. What if I just delete with ASTO using this method?

3. What if I rename with ASTO using this method?

4. Is it even possible with this method?

Hey guys, could someone please chime in here? I'm actually interested if this is true and will work without busting the OTA updates, as all I would like to do at this point is be able to rename some of the bloating apps and services to free up my memory without going through the rooting method.... for now >:)

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
has anyone found the apk for VZW Navigator? Will it cause any issues if removed?

Johnnysyeah

Reaction score
These bloatware that I'm reading of in this topic, is it safe to actually delete them?
I've been renaming them but I figure I could use the space for other applications.

EDIT:
I've been trying to access my phone to do some manual application editing, but I get this error when I try to get in the shell.

C:\Android2\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
015A97091200E008 offline

My phone has USB debugging mode on, Charge only mode set, and is plugged into my computer.

wabmorgan

Reaction score
I was using Titanium Backup to remove bloatware. :)

I accidentally deleted something that I think said "Motorola Ad" or "Motorola Ad Server" . (Phone seems fine.)

A. What does this service/app do???

B. Do I need to add it back????

C. You guessed it.... of course I didn't make a backup. :(

If I need to add it back... how would I do so??? That is if someone can provide me with a copy.

Android NOOBIE :(

wabmorgan

Reaction score
^^^^well... seems like I found my answer. Thought all was well... till I went to tether. :(

Seems like the app/file I deleted was maybe Motorola data server ????

Anyway... a wipe and re-root and all is well. :)

uberbdon

Reaction score
Soo....what the hell is the name of the kindle app? I can't find anything that remotely looks like it might be it.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Soo....what the hell is the name of the kindle app? I can't find anything that remotely looks like it might be it.

redding somethingsomethng.apk

might not be in system/app maybe in data..

Skelly022782

Reaction score
Do NOT remove BackupAssistantClient.apk, HelpCenter.apk or ANY files starting with "Blur"

Here's a list of apps you might want to remove. Remember, these filenames are CASE SENSITIVE.

• CarDock.apk
  • CityID.apk
  • MyVerizon.apk
  • Skype_mobile.live.apk
  • Vvm.apk
  • WorkContacts.apk
  • amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk
  • Blockbuster.apk
  • Mynet.apk (3G Mobile Hotspot)
  • MotoGAL.apk (Corporate Directory)
If you renamed the Backupassistantclient.apk, you can change it back by reversing the filenames above. If you've deleted it, steven.rn was kind enough to upload a copy: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...w-remove-bloatware-backupassistanceclient.zip

Is it not safe to remove VZ Navigator?

wabmorgan

Reaction score
I would assume it is.... I removed it... and VZ Navigator is available for download for the app market.

wabmorgan

Reaction score
Sorry.... I don't remember the file name. :(

You might try to update with VZW Navagator for Droid X from the market. Then delete.