[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

OP
Q

qoncept

Sent the backup assistance APK to both of you

BlurHome.apk is probably the stock launcher, but I'd be careful with that. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to recover without a launcher (at least it wasn't on my Droid, ask me how I know) but it's not easy.

addroidx

Reaction score
Thought I would post this here, it's a tweet from birdman (the guy that figured out root):

DO NOT REMOVE BACKUPASSISTANTCLIENT if you do, get it back on there NOW! a factory reset will result in a near brick.
Thanks for the heads up. OP updated.

No prob. Maybe someone will be able to extract it and post it on Rapidshare or something for all the folks that deleted it.

steven.rn

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the .apk filename for the stock launcher? would like to rename it to a .bak file so that it doesn't run in the background under Launcher Pro Plus.

Also, anyone have a backupassistant .apk file they could e-mail or send my way? [email protected]

Deleted mine, and, well, I don't want a bricked phone =P

pulled this off my droid x and zipped up for y'all.

Cheers! dancedroid

Attachments

• BackupAssistanceClient.zip
    72.6 KB · Views: 638
Reaction score
Thought I would post this here, it's a tweet from birdman (the guy that figured out root):

DO NOT REMOVE BACKUPASSISTANTCLIENT if you do, get it back on there NOW! a factory reset will result in a near brick.

No prob. Maybe someone will be able to extract it and post it on Rapidshare or something for all the folks that deleted it.

If someone has the file and sends it to me, I have my own website with TONS of space and bandwidth that I can put it on... instead of having to wait for those PITA file sharing sites.

steven.rn

Reaction score

If someone has the file and sends it to me, I have my own website with TONS of space and bandwidth that I can put it on... instead of having to wait for those PITA file sharing sites.

Posted; maybe you can dl from there... don't see your site- just yank it out of the new thread right on top in droidxhacks

OP
Q

qoncept

I'm going to upload the entire /system/app folder when I get home so people don't need to ask for individual files.

Remember! Rename, don't delete the files!

REARless

Reaction score
FYI

Here is a list of the apps I removed (copied)

Social Networking - FriendFeed.apk
Files - FileManager.apk
Media Sharing - HomeSyncWizard.apk
Messaging - Messaging.apk
Company Directory - MotoGAL.apk
Email - BlurEmail.apk
Blockbuster - Blockbuster.apk
City ID - CityID.apk
Skype - Skype_mobile.live.apk
Visual Voice Mail - Vvm.apk
3G Mobile Hotspot Mynet.bak

motorhaith

Reaction score
how do i add back the backupassistance client? i've tried adb push but it says permission denied. Help please?

OP
Q

qoncept

You need to type su before trying to move files. It's really just easier with Root Explorer.