HOW TO ROOT Droid 2 - IN DEPTH TUTORIAL

lutherke

Reaction score
Hung up?

My Droid 2 has been running the z4root for just over an hour now, How long should I wait? and if it's just hung what do I do now?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pull the battery and try again. It might help to put the phone in airplane mode before you start.

tappin and a talkin

byhova

Reaction score
A little help here

I used the z4mod to root my phone, sucessfully once i put the phone into airplane mode. everything went smoothly in a like 2 minutes. I checked everything i was suppose to make sure it was rooted (z4mod had the option to un-root). However, now my phone just resets itself like every 4-7 minutes. It has done it like 5+ times now. Trying to read an email, looking at a website online, and trying to play angry birds. I was just doing the things I normally do to see if anything was affected. So when i'm doing any of these things my phone just locks up then resets, and takes about a minute or so to reboot, then 5 minutes of use locks up again then reboots. Any suggestions?

NYCSean

Reaction score
I used the z4mod to root my phone, sucessfully once i put the phone into airplane mode. everything went smoothly in a like 2 minutes. I checked everything i was suppose to make sure it was rooted (z4mod had the option to un-root). However, now my phone just resets itself like every 4-7 minutes. It has done it like 5+ times now. Trying to read an email, looking at a website online, and trying to play angry birds. I was just doing the things I normally do to see if anything was affected. So when i'm doing any of these things my phone just locks up then resets, and takes about a minute or so to reboot, then 5 minutes of use locks up again then reboots. Any suggestions?

Resbf probably bad install

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

andyc

Reaction score
My Droid 2 has been running the z4root for just over an hour now, How long should I wait? and if it's just hung what do I do now?

Sometimes it'll say that it's rooting and never reboot. It's happened at least once to me, but after pulling the battery and booting back up, superuser was ready and everything was smooth. In the future if it ever says it's running the exploit and rooting for more than 5 or 10 minutes just pull the battery and it *should be good to go after you turn it back on.

Grand_Moff_Joseph

Reaction score
Brand new user here, trying to root my Droid 2...

1. My PC's virus scanner stops the download of both the Bootstrapper and the Z4 program, claiming they are known Trojan exploits. Is my virus scanner going nuts, or did these files maybe get hijacked out there?

2. When plugged into my PC, does the phone's internal storage show up as a different drive letter than the SD card?

Thanks for the help!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Brand new user here, trying to root my Droid 2...

1. My PC's virus scanner stops the download of both the Bootstrapper and the Z4 program, claiming they are known Trojan exploits. Is my virus scanner going nuts, or did these files maybe get hijacked out there?

2. When plugged into my PC, does the phone's internal storage show up as a different drive letter than the SD card?

Thanks for the help!

They're both fine as far as I know. Maybe try downloading both from your phone directly and go from there.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
They're popping because they ARE trojans!!! but they are trojans made for your phone. In other words, they're supposed to pop!

andrewqueen

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to this and i just rooted my droid 2, arethere any apps i need to get besides droid 2 recovery bootstrap?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi i'm new to this and i just rooted my droid 2, arethere any apps i need to get besides droid 2 recovery bootstrap?

I use Root Explorer, Adfree Android, and Cachemate.

andrewqueen

Reaction score
Thanks, is there a topic in this forum that explains how to flash and which apps i should use to do it?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks, is there a topic in this forum that explains how to flash and which apps i should use to do it?

What are you trying to flash? The apps I've listed are installed via the Market.

andrewqueen

Reaction score
I guess roms, i don't really know what im tlaking about though so don't make fun of me

louy99

Reaction score
To flash a rom you need jrummys Droid 2 bootstrapper

mahlerchiro

Reaction score
Z4 mod

FYI used drop box to install worked great but had to turn off live wall paper on droid 2 global to get it to work