[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
So I am doing the necessary research in order to root my phone. This is the first time I have ever tried this out and want to make sure I get it right the first time so I don't have to spend the rest of the week hoping my hair grows back and trying to unbrick my phone. I have downloaded and set up ABD shell on my computer and have been able to connect to my phone using mac's Terminal. I have also downloaded Titanium Backup onto my phone. Is it possible to push the necessary files onto my phone from my computer using bluetooth file transfer? Also I am curious how to get Root Explorer from my computer onto my phone, can anyone help me with this?

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
So I found this website that provides a pretty easy method for rooting a D3 using a Mac How to Root Motorola Droid 3 for Linux and Mac OSX users | SLEETHERZ. I am pretty new to this so I figured I would offer up a couple of quick tips in order to help anyone else attempting this that might need a hand.

Download the file and unzip it somewhere you can get to it easily using the Terminal program on your Mac,
Once you have changed your directory in Terminal to the folder containing the "run_to_root_your_droid3.sh" file all you have to do is type in the following command: sh run_to_root_your_droid3.sh Then wait and follow the directions.
If you try using the ~s or open commands to run the .sh file it either wont work or you will end up having it open in text edit and not working.
All of the other information you might need can be found on the page I included the link for. You can also check out [video=youtube;aPqtk3GEXVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPqtk3GEXVk[/video]. Even though that video is for a Bionic and not D3 it is all the same steps.

Now to start getting rid of this f'in bloatware dancedroid

Last edited:

FinalTrigger

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I finally re-rooted my phone after the Verizon update that im guessing got rid of my root. I used the one button root from Pete's Motorola Root Tools. Now is it required for me to also run the .ADB Root Procedure?

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I am going to use the one click root method to root my D3.

Once that is done how do i remove bloat? will i be able to update with the bloat removed?

B

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
I am going to use the one click root method to root my D3.

Once that is done how do i remove bloat? will i be able to update with the bloat removed?

B

Here is a link to a script that Psouza4 wrote to help you remove bloat. [Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011] - xda-developers. There are some things you may not want it to remove so read through this blog carefully to figure out what you do and dont want. I have compiled a list of all the things that I have frozen using Root Explorer although I accidentally froze blurhome2.apk and odex before installing a new launcher and have spent the past 10+ hours sifting through blogs and other websites trying to solve this issue. I have not had any issues with any of the other files I froze so far. If you would like me to send you/post the list of files I've frozen I'm happy to, just keep in mind that I'm pretty new to this game.

bdholsin

Reaction score
Holy cripes the one click method is easy. I'll admit, I was holding my breath the entire time though. It was painless. Now on to getting rid of the bloat.

Demondroid

Reaction score
OK, I searched before I posted and could not find what I was looking for.

I just got a Droid3 and want to root it. I have tried the 'one touch' method, but that fails....because I am running Ubuntu in 64 bit.

The Ubuntu steps fail because the app was written for 32bit use
I tried running it through wine, but that fails because wine can't seem to see that I have installed the mono stuff to work the .NET stuff.... help

How can I root?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First post second quote is as such:

[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

First I want to say I CAN NOT take credit for this nor will I post the full details because they have already been posted, so without further delay, here is a nice simple guide for all of you on how to root your precious Droid 3!

-------------------------
  1. Head here and read thorough this once so you at least semi-understand what's going on!
  2. If you don't have ADB installed and setup, then do a quick search for a guide there are multiple out there and most are quite good. You can also set it up following the directions straight from Google, but they are a bit complicated if your not entirely sure about this stuff. Android SDK | Android Developers
  3. After that, then head HERE again and follow his instructions.
  4. At the end when you get the # symbol in ADB for root then you will need to do the following..
  5. Download the 2 attached files and save to your desktop
  6. First you need to write the system partition as RW so you can write things to it in order to get a permanent root.
  7. SO run the following command.
  8. Code:

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system
  9. Next copy the 2 attached files from your desktop to the perspective directories on your Droid 3
  10. For example my commands where as follows:
Code:

adb push '/home/woodyman/Desktop/su' /system/xbin adb push '/home/woodyman/Desktop/Superuser.apk' /system/appadb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

---------------------------
This way done using linux, [Ubuntu 11.04] So commands will be a bit different with windows..

This is just a rough quick sketch up for everyone, I will refine it and add more details tonight, I Just wanted to get it up for now so everyone had the chance if they wanted.​
Attached Files

Calen

Reaction score
Hello for all...

I rooted my D3 with One Click, i have Super User and all that staff, but today i have entered in System/bin for change the bootanimation.zip and i have a message: the files on system/bin are only for read...

What i have to do ?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Hello for all...

I rooted my D3 with One Click, i have Super User and all that staff, but today i have entered in System/bin for change the bootanimation.zip and i have a message: the files on system/bin are only for read...

What i have to do ?

Entered with what app?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

PaulJ69

Reaction score
When your in System/bin, there's a button up top that says Mount R/W. Click that.

Calen

Reaction score
No, only the folders & files. No buttom.

Maybe limitedfunctions by the version or the versiom too old?

I'm going to market when come to home...

Now it´s OK...3 dolars for a full versio is ok, i download the apk, install it and i can see the buttom...

Thancks!

Last edited:

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
run one click on computer more here1. Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed - LINK to x64 drivers(64-bit) LINK to x86 drivers(32-bit)2. Download and unzip 'MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4' - LINK MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza43. On your phone: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging(check box)4. Plug phone into computer and select "Charge Only" mode5. Navigate to 'MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4' folder and run 'MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe'6. Now just follow the instructions in the command window and unlock the phone after each reboot. suppose to work on droid 3
i'm gonna assume... ugh... that this is done with winblowz?