[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Never moved them because I saw so many having issues there, so all is good.

Rocky

Reaction score
1. Reboot the phone (manually or via an app; ATM reboot to recovery is NOT supported.)
Done.

2. At splash screen press menu key. You are now in CWR.
Have tried this three times, but two problems here:

- I can't tell the "splash screen" from anything else

- Even if I constantly short and long press press the Menu key throughout the whole startup process, I still get nothing different, like that "CWR" deal.

Can you shed some light, please?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Done.

Have tried this three times, but two problems here:

- I can't tell the "splash screen" from anything else

- Even if I constantly short and long press press the Menu key throughout the whole startup process, I still get nothing different, like that "CWR" deal.

Can you shed some light, please?

Safestrap is not installed if you don't get a splash screen. It comes up right after the dual core logo and right before the boot animation.

patchm00

Reaction score
What happens if you uninstall safestrap?

Hey, first time using safestrap and is working great for keeping my stock RAZR MAXX on non-safe side and ICS CDMA trials on safe side. I was wondering however, since I saw some ROMS that say you have to use withi bootstrap and don't use with safestrap, what is the proper procedure (more like strategy) for uninstalling safestrap. For instance, if i uninstall it what am I left with, the non-safe stock or do I need to uninstall then format/wipe, restore stock from backup i made in safestrap or something else?

thanks

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You should return to non-safe mode to fully uninstall in order to use bootstrap.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Not having any issues, just was wondering. How do I delete old backups that were saved in Safestrap mode? Just want to free up some space. I remember with my D1 going into RM and it was easy. I can't seem to find the old backups except when I want to restore them.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need a file explorer.

Just navigate to /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/'foldername" (or /sdcard/safestrap/backup/"foldername" if you have saved them to the internal media area), and delete the "foldername"; that is the backup folder.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Great! I hope the guide is helping. Let me know if there's something I can improve.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862
Thanks guidot your instructions were enormously helpful -- I'm making the leap with ICS "AOKP". Three questions (or maybe you can add these to the OP):

- wasn't 100% clear if installs ONLY work from sd-ext (recovery menu says "install zip from sdcard" which normally is external) -- can I drop the zip in the (internal) sd root? Since you recommended a system format I also assume it has to be on an external card (though, presumably after formatting, the zip could be dropped into internal sd with adb).

- does the ROM need to be renamed "update.zip" or does the recovery menu allow the user to navigate to any zip file? (I assume the latter, since with AOKP, GAPPs also needs to be installed)

- when toggling from safe back to non-safe, you noted it "restores" the stock system -- does that mean it copies back stock system+data to its original location while completely overwriting the custom ROM? In other words, if the user toggles back again to safe the previous custom ROM is now gone?

EDIT: BTW, forgot to mention I did my first stock (nonsafe) backup WITHOUT an sd card, so I can verify that it works -- it creates an /sdcard/safestrap/backup folder with the backup data -- which I can navigate to during recovery to restore.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ROM does not need to be renamed, and when you go back to non-safe it is supposed to copy over your custom ROM so you can switch back. I've never done this myself.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ROM does not need to be renamed, and when you go back to non-safe it is supposed to copy over your custom ROM so you can switch back. I've never done this myself.

Cool, if I give it a try I'll let you know if it works! Thanks. :)

-Matt

unboostedzc

Reaction score
sorry if this has been answered in one of the previous pages, but i'm having issues getting back to non safe mode.

currently running on [K]INETX on .901. i downgraded, forever-rooted, got to .901. installed safestrap, i believe made a backup in unsafe mode, then enabled safe mode and flashed [K]INETX. i am not positive about making a backup in non-safe mode, but i think i did.

im wanting to get to .902 and axi0m. what would be the preferred method to do this not being positive if i have a non-safe backup?

i also cannot disable safe mode at this time when booting in to safestrap recovery. it says i've only got 44MB of space on /emmc and errors when trying to revert back.

thanks for the help
jonathan

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

On my Bionic, it seems to work well as a pseudo-dual-boot setup; so long as you remember to keep enough free space on your internal phone memory (I have found that if this runs low, it may tell you that /data has been backed up successfully, but when it goes to restore it will be corrupt).

non-safe mode = stock 5.9.902 OS
safe mode = ICS ROM

I am able to switch between them seemlessly, with changes persisting between OS "swaps"

imjarhed

Reaction score
Just ran into a problem and I'm hoping someone can help. Have been running safestrap and it is fantastic. I tried going from Disabled today and phone started doing its thing. Then it said restoring original system, then it errored. When I rebooted I had a new phone, thank goodness for backup. I uninstalled safestrap and was going to reinstall however when I rebooted it came up to the flash screen of safestrap. How do I get safestrap completely gone so I can start over again? Also will the backup I did from non-safe still be good?

Reaction score
Hey I'm using safe strap to install a rom and when i clicked on the rom it gave me to options system/ and meta-inf/ witch do i pick??