HOWTO: Flash The Droid To Any Network (PRL)

ObsidianX

Reaction score
Okay, so after much digging around various forums I think I'll write a howto for self-flashing the Motorola Droid. Keep in mind all I've got so far is the PRL flashing so if you've gotten that far this isn't for you. I'll update this as I go to hopefully get a fully flashed (and open method) phone.

Required Software:
  • Motorola USB Driver (Found here)
  • HW Virtual Serial Port (Found here)
  • CMDA Workshop (Can be found... wandering the net...)

Step 1: Enable Diagnostic Mode

In order to flash any information to the phone it needs to be running in Diagnostic Mode. To accomplish this we need to first turn the phone off, but to make it easier plug the USB cable in before you do. Then press and hold the 't' key and then turn the phone on. Although I don't know for sure, don't let go of the 't' key until you see the "DROID" animation start up. On your computer a new device will appear and Windows will install it as a Motorola USB Network Device. If you run 'ipconfig' in the command prompt you'll see a new network device with an assigned IP address kinda like 192.168.16.1 (this is what I had). Keep this IP in mind.

Step 2: Create a Virtual Serial Port

So now that you've got your phone connected you have to have a way of accessing it. All of the software that is used to write to CDMA phones and the likes utilize the COM ports so we'll have to make our own!

Fire up HW VSP and click the Login button. As it says on the bottom of the window, the default password is "admin". Navigate to the Settings tab and UNCHECK the setting called NVT Enabled. Leave everything else as-is and go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab. Select a COM port to utilize (I'd recommend a higher one to avoid possible conflicts) and then recall the IP that you found in the previous step. If your IP was 192.168.16.1 (like mine) then you'll type in 192.168.16.2 as the IP address to connect to. So the general rule (as I've gathered) is to increment your IP by one and you'll find the phone. Finally put 11008 as the port number and click Create.

Step 3: Using CDMA Workshop and Flashing

When you first start CDMA Workshop you'll be on the "Main" tab which contains the connection settings. Under COM Settings (AT Mode) you'll have to change the Port to the COM Port you selected in the previous step. Leave the Baud rate at 115200 and then click Connect.

The status bar on the bottom will say something along the lines "Connected to COM5 port successfully". Now you'll need to navigate to the Security tab and under SPC type in 000000 in the box. Next click SPC -> Send. This will unlock the phone for editing. A dialog will pop up to let you know as well ;)

Finally we need to head on over to the Other tab where you'll find the PRL section. I would recommend Reading the NAM1 out of your phone before you do anything in case you need to restore the original settings. I named mine after the actual PRL version (51831) and you can find your version in the Settings -> About phone -> Status section of your phone.

After you've saved it Feel free to flash any PRL from any network you want into NAM1 to become a member of that network. You can find PRL's on HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource (as well as most of the information I've collected).

After flashing, quit CDMA Workshop and it will ask if you wish to send Mode Reset to the phone to apply changes (this restarts the phone) say yes and watch the Droid reboot. After it comes back, dial *228 on the phone and follow your carrier's instructions for updating the PRL to the latest version. This is also your way of verifying your flash worked.

KEEP IN MIND THIS THREAD:HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Esn Adding and Flashing.

I'll update this post as I go along in order to (hopefully) write a complete guide.

Mojo

Reaction score
Cool write up! What is the bennifit of doing this? So you can run the Droid on another network?

OP
O

ObsidianX

Reaction score
Yeah,

I want to be able to use MetroPCS on my Droid. I walked in and asked a guy at a MetroPCS store and they told me that HoudiniSoft doesn't support the Droid yet so he doesn't know quite how people are doing it. He suggested a donor ESN from a network phone which I've been trying to figure out.

PrinceJason

Reaction score
I walked in and asked a guy at a MetroPCS store and they told me that HoudiniSoft doesn't support the Droid yet so he doesn't know quite how people are doing it. He suggested a donor ESN from a network phone which I've been trying to figure out.

ObsidianX, I am in the Atlanta MetroPCS area and am thinking about the same thing. The only thing is, your a couple of paces ahead of me because I haven't decided if I am buying an HTC Eris or a Motorola Droid. I have done quite a bit of research though. One of the many things I have learned is that you have to take what a store salesman says with a grain of salt. My experiences with getting answers to technical questions as been fruitless as I had to finally email a MetroPCS Operations Executive for answers.

If you still want to attempt to provision your ESN/MEID, then there are plenty of sellers on Ebay, who are MetroPCS authorized resellers who will provision your SID/MEID using HoudiniSoft for a price. I think this is better than cloning the MEID's and risking (although minor) instability in the connection between your handset and the base station (cell tower). Some of the sellers that have MetroPCS provisioning listings on Ebay are: vfcmiami, unlimitedmetroflash, pawnbuyguy, trustedwholecell, koala483, and global-wireless3g-1. Ofcourse, I don't see the Motorola Droid's model number A855 on in the Houdini supported list - http://helpdesk.houdinisoft.com/approved_handsets.pdf However, the list was almost posted almost three months ago. I haven't personal used any of the aforementioned sellers sevices but vfcmiami has a website claiming he will even provide you with a MetroPCS QPay receipt after he provisions it using Houdini - Services.

Were you able to upgrade to Andriod 2.1 or is the handset at 2.01?

Last edited:
OP
O

ObsidianX

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info! I was actually considering purchasing a HoudiniSoft master account to port the ESN (and the other ESN's I will be doing) myself.

As far as the android version, I had this phone rooted with a CyanogenMod ROM installed within 15 minutes of opening it :) So yes, I'm running 2.1 at the moment.

If it turns out that I can move ESN's over without any problems I may start up a super-cheap service of porting just the ESN for people and then letting them do the rest.

tktouch12

Reaction score
this is really great info. i doubt i will ever need to do this (unless i get kicked off verizon for tethering..jk) but its good to know, and really cool.

forkup

Reaction score
Could someone please post the current verizon prl please?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good tutorial

mrebanza

Reaction score
Yeah,

I want to be able to use MetroPCS on my Droid. I walked in and asked a guy at a MetroPCS store and they told me that HoudiniSoft doesn't support the Droid yet so he doesn't know quite how people are doing it. He suggested a donor ESN from a network phone which I've been trying to figure out.

Thanks so much . . . I followed the instructions but it didn't work for me . . . does the phone have to be rooted first???

I need my droid on metro pcs too!!!!

I first flash with a copy of CDMA workshop 2.* . . . It didn't reboot the phone so I had to do it manually . . . When the droid came back on it listed the wireless carrier as "Extended Network" instead of "Verizon Wireless" on the lock screen.

I got so excited but then when I tried to "active" the droid and make a call I was routed to Verizon :mad:

I am not sure what I am doing wrong . . . has anyone got this up and running on Merto PCS or anything other than VZ?????

missing2

Reaction score
thanks for the write up it worked like a charm. After i loaded the metro prl it rebooted, i then dialed 611 and it went to metropcs. Does this mean it's ready to be activated after having the esn added? Or are there other settings that have to be changed?

bmikerecords

Reaction score
hey man im stuck at part 3 can u help me out it keeps saying that it fails to connect to phone but it connects to the com

im using rooted 2.2 droid