HTC Thunderbolt Bootloader Locked?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
thunderlocked.jpg

When Motorola began locking their device’s bootloaders, we were a little nervous and hoped no one would follow; well it seems we were wrong. The device we have been impatiently waiting for has finally made its way to the market, but the latest news from Androidpolice is that the device is locked. The Android blogs source says the device does not come with the usual customizability that HTC devices are known for, but actually is locked down like the G2 was at launch. The bootloader does not act as a normal HTC bootloader would, it always checks the ROM you have installed on it at boot and if it’s not signed by HTC, it will not allow you to enter recovering.
This seems like something that might add to the reasons why you guys might not be interested in acquiring this HTC made device anymore, but we’ll let you decide for yourself.

How it works (Explained by AndroidPolice):
If you somehow manage to flash a custom recovery image to your phone, a failsafe (known as a signature check) will kick in on boot-up and examine the "signature" of the recovery image loaded onto your phone. If the known "good" signature (HTC’s key, basically) stored on the phone’s read-only-memory doesn’t match the signature of the recovery image, the phone’s bootloader won’t allow you to access recovery.

Source: HTC Thunderbolt Takes A Page From Moto’s Playbook: Bootloader Is Locked | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Last edited:

DaWolf85

Reaction score
It's locked but not encrypted, already been cracked and phone's been permrooted; in other words, this is old news :p

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's locked but not encrypted, already been cracked and phone's been permrooted; in other words, this is old news :p
Really? Don't you love the hackers we have.... Fixing problems before they show up.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
I knew I should have waited a few more days. Then I could have voted with my wallet.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
So wait, all this talk about how HTC is open and Thunderbolt is going to be the next most dev supported phone is false?

No, because the bootloader isn't encrypted, and thus, just like the G2, permroot had been achieved dancedroid

RafficaX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i dont think this is old news. this was found out loading the custom recovery after perm root was established. birdman tweeted about it not long ago. but there hoping for a work around with not much work. there signed which makes them a pain still.

mattg1

Reaction score
So wait, all this talk about how HTC is open and Thunderbolt is going to be the next most dev supported phone is false?

No, because the bootloader isn't encrypted, and thus, just like the G2, permroot had been achieved dancedroid

While I don't understand all the details this is a bigger deal then the G2 was only time will tell how it will turn out.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They will figure something out.

RafficaX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
TeamAndIRC ✔ Justin Case
Do not worry about locked bootloaders on the thunderbolt. Don't return your phone. New root method in morning.

they already have it under control. just put up a bit ago on twitter.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yea its not like BIG BAD MOTTO's BOOTLOADER WITCH IS ENCRYPTED LIKE THE DX,D2,D2G A SIGNED BOOTLOADER IS A PAIN BUT NOT TO HARD TO GET AROUND I BELIEVE THAT THIS MEANS A CUSTOM KERNEL WILL BE ABLE TO BE LOADER ON THE THUNDERBOLT ONCE THEY FIGURE HOW TO SIGN IT

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
"

TeamAndIRC ✔ Justin Case by _mrbirdman_

Do not worry about locked bootloaders on the thunderbolt. Don't return your phone. New root method in morning.

3 hours ago

tweeted by TEAM & IRC TO BIRDMAN

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
wow 2 hours? Haha, What took so long! Lol, im impressed, guys treated it like the evenings crossword puzzle. Great job guys! i dont have the phone but loving the abilities.