I found a good video converter for the Droid...

Shel

Reaction score
DVDCatalyst
First, I did purchase your program and love it! I converted one movie, and it fills the screen, sound and video are synced, and it looks fanTASTIC!

One question. What setting would you suggest to convert movies if I simply want to view them on my PC.

Should I use the same setting, or would you recommend something else?

Thanks again for a great product and all of you assistance on this forum!

D

dvdcatalyst

Thank you Shel,

While there are quite a few other formats you can choose from, I would suggest to keep the Droid files for PC playback as well. I've converted a few movies using the various Droid profiles, and played them full-screen on my 17" laptop (1920x1200 resolution) and they look great. Unless you are converting HD video files (aka bluray rips/mkv etc) your video files will have a resolution very close to the original, so you are not losing any quality. As a bonus, you dont end up with 2 files for the same movie.

If you are watching them on your PC, you might want to use the Droid HQ profile though.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Dagnabbit, this will not work with Mac OS X (Tiger, 10.4).

Any solutions for me? Right now, I am trying to stream via VLC Player, but it's going to take awhile.

D

dvdcatalyst

Mac Only

Any solutions for me? Right now, I am trying to stream via VLC Player, but it's going to take awhile.

In your other post you mentioned it was regarding an AVI file, I replied there, but will post the same info here for your convenience :)

If you installed the proper stuff to play the avi in Quicktime (divx, xvid etc) you can use Quicktime Pro to convert them to iPhone format, which will play on the Droid.
Also iMovie has an export function for the iPhone format whoch should work, but it depends on the version of iLife you have installed.

Perian

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

is an "all-in-one" codec bundle to enable support for a lot of video formats for Quicktime.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgarnes

Reaction score

In your other post you mentioned it was regarding an AVI file, I replied there, but will post the same info here for your convenience :)

If you installed the proper stuff to play the avi in Quicktime (divx, xvid etc) you can use Quicktime Pro to convert them to iPhone format, which will play on the Droid.
Also iMovie has an export function for the iPhone format whoch should work, but it depends on the version of iLife you have installed.

Perian

is an "all-in-one" codec bundle to enable support for a lot of video formats for Quicktime.

Thank you, so very much! To be honest, I had never really did anything with video conversion on the Mac. Never had a reason to, I suppose, until now. I don't have Quicktime Pro, but I guess I should buy it. Back when I first got my Mac (I'm relatively new to being a Mac user), I had read that it got bad reviews, and that it was a joke, so, I just stopped right there (can't remember where I read the reviews). Whatever I have in terms of iMovie, iLife, etc, are what came pre-installed on this three year old puppy.

I'll give everything a good once over tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes. Meanwhile, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. You've got a gold star in my book!

D

dvdcatalyst

OS X Tiger

Perian

Thank you, so very much! To be honest, I had never really did anything with video conversion on the Mac. Never had a reason to, I suppose, until now. I don't have Quicktime Pro, but I guess I should buy it. Back when I first got my Mac (I'm relatively new to being a Mac user), I had read that it got bad reviews, and that it was a joke, so, I just stopped right there (can't remember where I read the reviews). Whatever I have in terms of iMovie, iLife, etc, are what came pre-installed on this three year old puppy.

I'll give everything a good once over tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes. Meanwhile, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. You've got a gold star in my book!

You are welcome, before poulling out the credit card, play around with the software you have on your kittycat, I never did much with tiger myself (mine came with leopard) so I'm not sure what works on the older iLife version, but I suggest to play around a bit first. Also the info in my PM should help.

To get Handbrake to work on Tiger, you might have to use an older version.
I found this link using Google with Handbrake Tiger as the search words

Handbrake for tiger? - Mac Forums

It loads slow, but might help.

edit: it loaded, and offered the following link

HandBrake

Last edited by a moderator:

lurker_hlb3

Reaction score
I have a question for dvdcatalyst

Does the "booster pack" work with DVD Catalyst Free ?

D

dvdcatalyst

I have a question for dvdcatalyst

Does the "booster pack" work with DVD Catalyst Free ?

No. DVD Catalyst Free doesnt work with the boosterpack. But even without the boosterpack, DVD Catalyst Free is slower than the non-free version in most cases.

fliggyg

Reaction score
With any of these programs is it possible to rotate the video? I have been using my phone as a dash cam in my jeep while off roading and works great with the exception that the video is sideways due to me recording in "portrait mode' rather than landscape.. anxiously awaiting your response..

One other thing.. How does the video rank compared to the flip? I had considered buying a flip for recording my off road adventures then i realized i had a HD video recorder right on my phone.. DUH! I want to share video on your tube and looking for the easiest method.

D

dvdcatalyst

With any of these programs is it possible to rotate the video? I have been using my phone as a dash cam in my jeep while off roading and works great with the exception that the video is sideways due to me recording in "portrait mode' rather than landscape.. anxiously awaiting your response..

As of 3.84.1 (the current version, yes :))
I dont have an answer for your other question though.

Reaction score
DVDCatalyst, just wanted to let you know that your program is amazing and compresses FANTASTICALLY! I'm highly impressed with the audio and video quality, and have referred the program to friends. Thanks :)

D

dvdcatalyst

DVDCatalyst, just wanted to let you know that your program is amazing and compresses FANTASTICALLY! I'm highly impressed with the audio and video quality, and have referred the program to friends. Thanks :)

Thank you, CorvetteAustin24.

momendo

Reaction score
I used MediaCoder x64. It was mentioned earlier, but one big draw is support for GPU transcoding with NVIDIA CUDA.

You can batch a lot of videos and transcode really fast. I batched transcode 19 25min anime shows in MKV to the droid in under 45 mins. That's faster than handbrake or DVD Catalyst.

MediaCoder is laced with adware and is harder to use I have to admit. But the speed and flexibility are key to me.