i need to unroot but my data port doesn't work

mikecolorama

Reaction score
i can't charge or mount my phone because the port isn't working. i need to unroot my phone to take back to Best Buy. what can i do? thanks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you have a sd card reader or another device you can put the files on the sd card through that device and then put it back in your incredible.

We also have a dedicated HTC incredible forum: HTC Incredible Rescue Squad Rooted Help

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
i have on for my camera. is that the same thing? if so, this would be a process of going back and forth between the card reader and my phone?

]

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
iN THIS CASE i WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
(acci caps)

The phone won't power on. They are going to see the problem with the phone is physical damage. Certainly nothing that rooting could cause.
They will plug it in. See that you are right. See the loose connector. See that it won't turn on. And give you a replacement.
They aren't going to open a battery, put in it, turn it on, see if you rooted it...
By the time they notice it's rooted... if they ever do (I doubt it)... you will be long gone.
It will get returned as broken.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
what i'm worried about is that when they turn the phone on, they will see a different start up screen and see that it's on 2.3.5. should i do a factory reset on it before taking it in?

i believe that BB tries to fix the phone before they give you a replacement, so i thought that they would see it then and void the warranty.

also, i don't see any physical damage to the connector or the pins and it doesn't feel loose, either. when i had the phone on my car charger the screen started flashing on and the battery went from 100% to 72% while charging in a matter of minutes. that's when all of this started.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
so i just successfully flashed the Gingerbread RUU and still nothing is working so i can't unroot it completely. should i just take it back to Best Buy like it is? should i even activate it? thanks for everyones help and advice.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well if u are back on the stock rom u should be fine. It only shows s off in hboot screen I believe. Not sure though, never had to bring a rooted phone in.

Sent from my Incredible 2

wmiller1337

Reaction score
How did this turn out? I am in your exact same shoes! Even down to the loosing 30% charge in minutes. Mine also doesn't look damaged, but does feel loose. But every single phone I have compared it do is just as loose and working fine. I took mine into a Verizon store and they would not warranty it since the port felt loose. I called Verizon and they shipped me one with no issue.

And now I have to ship them my phone but it is still S Off. I kept a backup from before I rooted so I was able to loose root and get a stock Rom. But I am afraid the guy that looks at the phone is going to check Hboot and deny my claim. Especially since it has a suspiciously blank 2.2 Rom because I didn't have time to update to 2.3 before the battery died.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
It worked out great. I took it back to Best Buy. My port had actually started to corrode. I couldn't get S off but they never checked. If you "accidentally" got the port wet, it would probably do the same thing as mine did. Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

wmiller1337

Reaction score
I am still nervous because I am actually dealing with Verizon, not a third party like BB. They told me on the phone if they find water damage, signs of neglect, physical damage, etc etc, then they will charge a $500 equipment charge. I honestly do not believe it is my fault, but still worried. I find the loosing charge thing odd though, seems to me it would be a loose solder creating a short or something. My phone was well taken care of and only 3 months old. It went from perfect to paperweight over a 6 or so hour time period.

S-On or Off, it has to be mailed out in the next 2 days.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am still nervous because I am actually dealing with Verizon, not a third party like BB. They told me on the phone if they find water damage, signs of neglect, physical damage, etc etc, then they will charge a $500 equipment charge. I honestly do not believe it is my fault, but still worried. I find the loosing charge thing odd though, seems to me it would be a loose solder creating a short or something. My phone was well taken care of and only 3 months old. It went from perfect to paperweight over a 6 or so hour time period.

S-On or Off, it has to be mailed out in the next 2 days.

I think they only check the indicator for water damage. There is one on the battery and one on the phone under the battery. They will be solid pink instead of dotted pink and white if damaged. I don think they will check your port for water damage, but I am not totally sure. Also I don't think they have time to check the phone for s-off or even know what that is when you send it back to Verizon. You should be fine as long as it looks stock I believe.