I think my screen colors are off :(

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I just realized, while holding my phone at an angle so that it was not as bright, that when it is straight on, there is a yellow tint to everything, and when tilted, white is a crisp white. I know I've seen some other posts commenting on colors being off. I'm wondering if it might be my anti-glare screen protector. Ugh.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I just realized, while holding my phone at an angle so that it was not as bright, that when it is straight on, there is a yellow tint to everything, and when tilted, white is a crisp white. I know I've seen some other posts commenting on colors being off. I'm wondering if it might be my anti-glare screen protector. Ugh.

That's standard for an Amoled screen. Your yellowish whites are much better than the Samsung Nexus' blue-whites, trust me.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
The anti-glare screen protector really degrades everything about the screen, I took mine OFF and put a standard one on.
Much much better, yes fingerprints but..... can't have everything.:)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think if you look in the PS there might be color calibration tools. But you may have to be rooted ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&hl=en (and at least one or two other similar utilities), will allow you to increase the Blue & Red slightly (5-15) to offset the warmer screen color and that will take the Yellow/Green tint away. You can play with the ratio between Red and Blue (as well as Green) and "calibrate" the screen to a close visual approximation to White where White should be. The only downfalls to this method are as follows:

1. When the screen brightness changes, the warmth of the screen colors change as well, sort of like when you dim a lightbulb and it goes from White to a Reddish Yellow. This natural trend will impact how the Screen Adjuster will affect the overall screen colors, such that at lower screen brightness you may find it needs slightly more adjustment away from the Yellow/Green and towards the Blue & Red.
  2. I found that when Screen Adjuster is active, APK files that are downloaded to the SD Card from sources other than the Play Store (such as a website, Amazon.com, or already stored from a backup), will not install properly, due to the "Install" button being grayed out. If you go into Settings, Applications, Running Services, and kill the Screen Adjuster first, then the APK will install properly. It's a strange bug but 100% reproducible.
Aside from those two issues, I've found it quite effective.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FoxKat said:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&hl=en (and at least one or two other similar utilities), will allow you to increase the Blue & Red slightly (5-15) to offset the warmer screen color and that will take the Yellow/Green tint away. You can play with the ratio between Red and Blue (as well as Green) and "calibrate" the screen to a close visual approximation to White where White should be. The only downfalls to this method are as follows:

[*]When the screen brightness changes, the warmth of the screen colors change as well, sort of like when you dim a lightbulb and it goes from White to a Reddish Yellow. This natural trend will impact how the Screen Adjuster will affect the overall screen colors, such that at lower screen brightness you may find it needs slightly more adjustment away from the Yellow/Green and towards the Blue & Red.
[*]I found that when Screen Adjuster is active, APK files that are downloaded to the SD Card from sources other than the Play Store (such as a website, Amazon.com, or already stored from a backup), will not install properly, due to the "Install" button being grayed out. If you go into Settings, Applications, Running Services, and kill the Screen Adjuster first, then the APK will install properly. It's a strange bug but 100% reproducible.

I'll say it again, I <3 you! I will try this tomorrow when I'm bored at work lol

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Why would you do this to me. I hadn't noticed that when tilted that the whites are perfect. If this phone wasn't stupendous I would be tempted to be mildly disgruntled.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
zomnomnombie said:
Why would you do this to me. I hadn't noticed that when tilted that the whites are perfect. If this phone wasn't stupendous I would be tempted to be mildly disgruntled.

LOL, sorry! ;)

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have the yellow tint issue. Not as white as my iPad but tolerable. What I really don't like about AMOLED screens is the over saturation........

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
  1. When the screen brightness changes, the warmth of the screen colors change as well, sort of like when you dim a lightbulb and it goes from White to a Reddish Yellow. This natural trend will impact how the Screen Adjuster will affect the overall screen colors, such that at lower screen brightness you may find it needs slightly more adjustment away from the Yellow/Green and towards the Blue & Red.
  2. I found that when Screen Adjuster is active, APK files that are downloaded to the SD Card from sources other than the Play Store (such as a website, Amazon.com, or already stored from a backup), will not install properly, due to the "Install" button being grayed out. If you go into Settings, Applications, Running Services, and kill the Screen Adjuster first, then the APK will install properly. It's a strange bug but 100% reproducible.

Is there anything that you don't know? i don't know where we would all be without ya!:hail:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I can attest to 2. It was driving me crazy. I wound up installing a package installer that turned out to also not play well with the Amazon App store and installing apps from the SD card. After enough issues I just decided my RAZR screen was fine as is...lol. I could never get the screen quite the way I wanted. Actually it looked better as is vs. any settings I tried.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'll say it again, I <3 you! I will try this tomorrow when I'm bored at work lol

<3 right back at ya! (this long distance love affair leaves me happy and frustrated all at the same time!) :p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I can attest to 2. It was driving me crazy. I wound up installing a package installer that turned out to also not play well with the Amazon App store and installing apps from the SD card. After enough issues I just decided my RAZR screen was fine as is...lol. I could never get the screen quite the way I wanted. Actually it looked better as is vs. any settings I tried.

Jroc, less is more in this case. I found even just increasing the Blue and Red by 5 or 6 was enough to bring the whites on the RAZR to a very close color as compared to my OG Droid and D2 (which have 0 color shift).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is there anything that you don't know? i don't know where we would all be without ya!:hail:

Well, I guess you'd be frustrated on other forums!! :biggrin: