ICS Status Bar notification apps too dim to read...

CBdubz

Reaction score
Why is it so dark anyways? I dont understand the point of doing that. An jellybean looks just like ICS

Reaction score
As I understand it, it's mainly from apps not adhering to the new ICS design standards. I guess they're supposed to be plain white apps that the OS "dims" when not in use.

So if an app already displays a grey notification (or other color) it looks extremely dark.

That's just what I've been hearing in other developer forums, not entirely sure if it's true or not.

Reaction score
I must be going crazy because i see no issues with my icons. Size and brightness do not seem any different to me. Nothing noticeable anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

robbski

Reaction score
[/I]
I must be going crazy because i see no issues with my icons. Size and brightness do not seem any different to me. Nothing noticeable anyway.

Care to post a screen shot, Jungle King? I'd love to see what you're talking about. :)

Reaction score
[/I]
Care to post a screen shot, Jungle King? I'd love to see what you're talking about. :)

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. I read all these complaints about notifications but no screen shots.

Honestly, it may be dimmer but i have been on ics for months now and it just never jumped out at me as an issue. I will have you start pay attention to my notifications.

Reaction score
[/I]

I can't remember what gb notifications looked like since it had been forever but i just don't see an issue with the standard notifications. When they come in, they are bright white but then are slightly grayed out but still very noticeable.

Exception being the weather bug current weather which i don't use but tested it out. That is unreadable.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I noticed this too. Icons are very small and dim. One other semi-related thing I have noticed is in some menus the text is white on white. You have to long press to read the text.

Tap'd from my Maxx

editricks

Reaction score
Just upgraded to ICS on my Razr Maxx, and now I can't see the icons on the left -- they're both smaller and dimmer. Other things are dimmer, too...the corrections/dictionary bar that pops up while texting, for example. This change renders several features I rely on unusable. Any advice on how to fix the problem?

inua

Reaction score
I agree! The icons on the left are too dim and small. I have tried some status bar apps but they each have their downsides. Statusbar + is pretty good - very legible but says 2G when it's actually 4G and the swiping can be a pain. It may also interfere with Lightflow. Anyone tried any other apps? It seems that with the upgrades everything is getting darker - more black backgrounds etc. I have heard that this is to help improve battery life. If so I think it should be an option - black background and blue text is too dark for me. I really wish I could go back to Gingerbread - I had my phone set up perfectly!​

Reaction score
editricks said:
Just upgraded to ICS on my Razr Maxx, and now I can't see the icons on the left -- they're both smaller and dimmer. Other things are dimmer, too...the corrections/dictionary bar that pops up while texting, for example. This change renders several features I rely on unusable. Any advice on how to fix the problem?

Tell the developer to create notifications that adhere to Google's design guidelines.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

ronhaha108

Reaction score
Tell the developer to create notifications that adhere to Google's design guidelines.

hmm, so the google play music app headphone icon is dimmed as well, one would think that google would get it right...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It makes no sense at all. The icons are too small to have any appreciable impact to battery consumption, so what good reason could there be for dimming them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
ronhaha108 said:
hmm, so the google play music app headphone icon is dimmed as well, one would think that google would get it right...

Is Google searching how the new icon colors work outside of your capabilities?

ChuckAnn

Reaction score
Are you using the auto-light function? I notice with this option enabled it seems that the sensitivity to light has increased thus making the screen dimmer than on the previous GB.

Thanks for that suggestion. Although turning off the auto bright didn't do much, just increasing the brightness to the max helped. Of course, that'll also drain my battery quicker, but I'll try it out that way for a while. The status bar is thinner making the icons so tiny. The icons weren't so small on the old OS. I could just glance at it and see the temp, like when my phone was on my desk at work. Now I have to actually pick it up and look closely. There are a lot of worse problems in life to have though!

ChuckAnn

Reaction score
I agree! The icons on the left are too dim and small. I have tried some status bar apps but they each have their downsides. Statusbar + is pretty good - very legible but says 2G when it's actually 4G and the swiping can be a pain. It may also interfere with Lightflow. Anyone tried any other apps? It seems that with the upgrades everything is getting darker - more black backgrounds etc. I have heard that this is to help improve battery life. If so I think it should be an option - black background and blue text is too dark for me. I really wish I could go back to Gingerbread - I had my phone set up perfectly!​

I agree, it should be an option to set it up differently if one chooses to do so. It seems the old OS had more options in the settings. I had only had switched from the original Motorola Droid to my RAZR Maxx a few months ago and had tinkered with the settings until it was perfect for my needs. Then the ICS update came, and it's really irritating how much more effort it takes to do simple things...like read the temp in the status bar!