If you are having weak signal issues...

kparks

Reaction score
No. I mean there's a -20 dBm difference from my thunderbolt and nexus. Even on 3G. Meaning it isn't just a reporting issue. At least for me.

My bad I must not of finished reading ur post or sumn lol it clearly says it Haha
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just got off phone with the VZW rep who helped me with my purchase,she said a software update should be out within the next couple of days,so we'll see.

ice456789

Reaction score
View attachment 44339
Much anger, this thread has.

I think that Anandtech is right, the GN is the first phone to PROPERLY report 4g signal strength. And I think we're right, that the signal strength on some of our phones isn't what it should be. This supposedly is affecting a limited number of phones so it's perfectly plausible that Anand's phone is not one of those phones affected. His conclusion was based on a sample size of 1 phone. Based on that sample he's right, we're complaining about nothing. But here on this forum we have a much larger sample size and for the most part we are all educated users. If it were reporting a bad signal but calls and data still went through like on other phones then we could say Anand is right, but that's not the case. Sitting right next to my wife in a restaurant she gets a flawless signal and my phone is searching for service. We've got other people on this forum talking about issues with dropped calls and lost data that weren't there with their previous phones.

So while Anand is correct about reporting, I think we've shown in this forum that there is indeed a problem with reception in some phones.

scdown

Reaction score
Just got off phone with the VZW rep who helped me with my purchase,she said a software update should be out within the next couple of days,so we'll see.

I love it when VZW customer service give out time frames like that... It's a LITTLE more believable when Google's involved, but VZW customer service is a laugh riot when it comes to dates.

Also, who else thinks that the "fix" for this will be to change the numbers that are reported?

MrKleen

Reaction score
So what does it mean-if i have no bars where i live,but i can still make and get phone calls?

Your phone can have no bars and still be working just fine. It just means your signal is weaker. That by itself is nothing to be concerned with. I guess it would become an issue if you lose signal completely in an area you know has coverage.

As far as the bar reporting.... I have no issue with it at all. I don't care if I have 4 bars or 1 bar. What I expect out of the phone is that it continues to work and answer phone calls.

Now here is the strange thing and what makes me really think it can be fixed with software.

I have been reporting the severe signal issues I've been having with the phone, but I have also had times where the phone is working fine. Actually yesterday I was all over the place and the phone maintained signal exactly as it should have in all places. The signal would go up or down depending on where I was like normal and would go to 3g and back to 4g in all the right places as it should. 2 days earlier in all the same places my Nexus seemed to be stuck on -120 to -140 dBm everywhere.

And no it was not the network because my wife's phone was operating normal.

So my experience so far is that I've had 3 days where the phone was not getting signal correctly. And strangely 2 days where it seemed pretty normal. The one day that was bad started off good when I did a factory data reset as per tech support but went downhill. I thought it was fixed because after the reset it was great. But all of a sudden while out the signal just seemed to dive and couldn't recover . I swear it seems like the signal powers down and can't get itself going again.

So I have had bad signal AND normal signal which tells me the phone has the ability to be great! I am hoping and am pretty confident they will get it resolved.

kimintenn

Reaction score
I live in a a major city and should have a good signal... My signal sits around -110 dBm. I tested it next to the Rezound at the verizon store today and while mine was at -110 the Rezound was at -57. I don't really know anything about these numbers except that the -57 is way better, right?

I'm hoping a fix comes soon because obviously we all need reliable connections. Fortunately I've ever only lost signal completely one time and I'm hoping that was just a fluke.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
i remeber when i first got the TB.. it had LTE issues all the time.. im sure it will get ironed out.. one of the disadvantages of being an early adopter.. i havent dropped calls.. just had trouble browsing one nite at the bar..

MrKleen

Reaction score
i remeber when i first got the TB.. it had LTE issues all the time.. im sure it will get ironed out.. one of the disadvantages of being an early adopter.. i havent dropped calls.. just had trouble browsing one nite at the bar..

Big difference.... Back then it was the network not the phone.

This time it's the phone and not the network.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
Big difference.... Back then it was the network not the phone.

This time it's the phone and not the network.

at home i was getting two bars maybe one, but it works.. so i didnt really stress over it...

my TB doesnt get that great of 4G at my house either.. so i just thought it was my location.. regardless of phone, in my garage, it goes to 3g.

michelle4439

Reaction score
I am having the same issues as others. I have had the Droid charge, Droid x, iPhone 4, Droid incredible and now Galaxy. This signal on this phone is the worse. I am always at -100 to -120. Thinking bout switching to the razr but I like this phone but what good is it if it drops data and calls all the time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
I have had mine active for 24 hours now. So far, I have not seen 4g once, and I live near and work IN downtown. I have had data drop for periods of anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes of NO data. This has happened more times than I can count on two hands. Occassionally switching from lte to cdma only will reconnect the data. Sometimes not. One random reboot when when coming out of airplane mode. Terrible first impression.