If you THINK you bricked it

zero7starz

Reaction score
I've seen many members here with help threads of possibly bricked phones, and I'm throwing this together to try to help.

If you are stuck on the samsung logo, or the phone triangle exclamation point computer screen, or getting too many force closes to do anything, I think this will help.

First, if you have clockworkmod on your phone and have the update.zip on your SD Card for CWM go ahead and pull the battery. Press the vol up and down keys and power the phone back up. This that you see should be stock SF (samsung fascinate) recovery. Select the apply update.zip and that will take you into CWM. From here, you can apply your restore.

IF you cannot get into CWM, continue.

Pull the battery out, and connect your phone to your computer. Grab the restore files from here: Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers and follow the steps to restore your phone with Odin. BE SURE NOT TO FLASH IT WITH THE PHONE OPTION, USE PDA.

Once you are done with that, you will need to re-download and install the superuser.apk that should be on the market. Check to make sure it will still ask you for su permissions (so grab root explorer to test).

Mount your phone to your computer, and grab the update.zip file from here: Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers and drop it onto the root of your SD Card, and follow the steps above to re-flash your restore.

And if worst comes to worst, as long as you can get the Odin Stock Restore to flash successfully, you can re-root, and re-flash CWM to get back to at least having a working phone.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this thread so we can all try to help eachother out.

LittleAsians

Reaction score
help

Hi i tried the links for the download files but the links are broken....should i go to you or the the other guys?

wil318466

Reaction score
I agree with OP. Twice I thought I bricked my phone. I sat there in stunned silence and said "wow, thats 500 bucks out the window". Then I relaxed and tried to figure it out.

If you can get in CWM, you can fix your phone. If you can get in download mode, you can fix the phone. The time I couldn't get into CWM I was kind of panicked, but figured out I could flash it via ODIN.

Don't worry, I think it's much harder to brick than you think. I tried to flash a rom that was incomatible and I thought I bricked, but it could be fixed.

transient

Reaction score
I've seen many members here with help threads of possibly bricked phones, and I'm throwing this together to try to help.

If you are stuck on the samsung logo, or the phone triangle exclamation point computer screen, or getting too many force closes to do anything, I think this will help.

First, if you have clockworkmod on your phone and have the update.zip on your SD Card for CWM go ahead and pull the battery. Press the vol up and down keys and power the phone back up. This that you see should be stock SF (samsung fascinate) recovery. Select the apply update.zip and that will take you into CWM. From here, you can apply your restore.

Pull the battery out, and connect your phone to your computer. Grab the restore files from here: Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers and follow the steps to restore your phone with Odin. BE SURE NOT TO FLASH IT WITH THE PHONE OPTION, USE PDA.

Once you are done with that, you will need to re-download and install the superuser.apk that should be on the market. Check to make sure it will still ask you for su permissions (so grab root explorer to test).

Mount your phone to your computer, and grab the update.zip file from here: Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers and drop it onto the root of your SD Card, and follow the steps above to re-flash your restore.

And if worst comes to worst, as long as you can get the Odin Stock Restore to flash successfully, you can re-root, and re-flash CWM to get back to at least having a working phone.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this thread so we can all try to help eachother out.

Hi,

I am one of those who bricked my phone. I am not in a major panic or anything but I would like to get it figured out.

I have samsung facinate, i upgraded to the new froyo using stock device options. I then rooted the phone using the adb and my laptop.

All that works fine, no issues there.

I started getting confused with the rom manager from marketplace and clockwork. I downloaded the free version of rom manager then used the option to flash clockwork in the rom manager within the phone.

Basically, I could not find a clear understanding on how to get clockwork working correctly.

So I saw another way which I felt more comfortable using this Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

Unfortunately I run into broken links on that site it seems on any helpful page. I googled and found the CWMrecovery.tar file. I am positive it is the correct file. I then used odinn 1.3 and put my phone in download mode with the big yellow triangle and a guy shoveling something.

I used pda and clicked start. Everything looked good, passed etc. My phone rebooted and it flashes samsung white letters like it always does when first booting, but this happens twice then it goes straight to recovery with options to reboot system now, apply sdcard: update.zip
wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition.

I have tried all options and they all just reboot blinking samsung in white letters then goes back to recovery.

I have tried following instructions to reset stock by using odin but I get invalid md5 hash.

I am not sure what I should do, I like toying around with this stuff so if someone could point me in the right direction with current information and maybe links to stuff that has valid links in it that would be super helpful.

I can get to recovery, I can get to download mode, and I have adb installed.

Any questions or ideas are much appreciated.

Nate-

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
Hi,

I am one of those who bricked my phone. I am not in a major panic or anything but I would like to get it figured out.

I have samsung facinate, i upgraded to the new froyo using stock device options. I then rooted the phone using the adb and my laptop.

I started getting confused with the rom manager from marketplace and clockwork. I downloaded the free version of rom manager then used the option to flash clockwork in the rom manager within the phone.

Basically, I could not find a clear understanding on how to get clockwork working correctly.

So I saw another way which I felt more comfortable using this Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

Unfortunately I run into broken links on that site it seems on any helpful page. I googled and found the CWMrecovery.tar file. I am positive it is the correct file. I then used odinn 1.3 and put my phone in download mode with the big yellow triangle and a guy shoveling something.

I used pda and clicked start. Everything looked good, passed etc. My phone rebooted and it flashes samsung white letters like it always does when first booting, but this happens twice then it goes straight to recovery with options to reboot system now, apply sdcard: update.zip

I have tried all options and they all just reboot blinking samsung in white letters then goes back to recovery.

I have tried following instructions to reset stock by using odin but I get invalid md5 hash.

I am not sure what I should do, I like toying around with this stuff so if someone could point me in the right direction with current information and maybe links to stuff that has valid links in it that would be super helpful.

Nate-

What you need is just the stock, 2.1 ODIN file. Try here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-development/140966-just-suggestion.html

In there you will find the file named: CI500_VZW_EB01_FROYO_REL.tar.md5

Download that and ODIN that to your phone through Download Mode, using the PDA button. That will take you back to factory settings. From there, follow the rest of the steps in that walkthrough to root and rom again.

You can use all the links in there to get you to EC01 with root, or you can follow the exact same steps and use a different rom you like better.

CC268

Reaction score
Hi,

Nate-

What you need is just the stock, 2.1 ODIN file. Try here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-development/140966-just-suggestion.html

In there you will find the file named: CI500_VZW_EB01_FROYO_REL.tar.md5

Download that and ODIN that to your phone through Download Mode, using the PDA button. That will take you back to factory settings. From there, follow the rest of the steps in that walkthrough to root and rom again.

You can use all the links in there to get you to EC01 with root, or you can follow the exact same steps and use a different rom you like better.

Follow the Just a Suggestion instructions and you should be in good shape. I really don't like ROM manager I wouldn't bother with it. It has only caused little problems for me

wil318466

Reaction score
Don't use ROM manager for anything on the Fascinate. It causes problems. Always use clockwork recovery and ODIN. Between those two you can recover from just about every error.

transient

Reaction score
CC268, thank you very much for the link!. Thank all of you for the advice. I found that link on the xda forum before seeing this and was able to get my phone back to stock froyo. I then rooted the phone using adb push superuser method, flashed the red cwm, put frankenclean (or whatever it was called) zip on sd card, made a backup, then installed the frankenclean. Everything works good and I don't have all that veriz bs.

The only thing I don't understand is where the kernels come into play. My phone seems to be doing ok, but whats the purpose of these modified kernels like voodoo. I know enough to not touch it as every thread I see about rooting/flashing/etc there is some rigaromo workaround you have to do to switch roms and such. (Sorry if I am getting off topic)

In the 2 days ive fiddled around I have also learned to not like the rom manager. I even paid for the premium and was hoping to have some roms listed in premium sections which I don't. Not sure if that is because froyo just came out or what, either way wasn't worth paying for. I would rather plug in phone, open cmd, adb reboot recovery or adb reboot download with odin, use cwn. So easy and understandable that way.

My advice to anyone that is trying to figure stuff out, don't flash latest orange cwm BEFORE you install these new roms. Just use the red one until all the scripting is worked out.

Back to unbricking, Here is a current link to stuff for unbricking the samsung fascinate which helped me out. 4/7/11 Unbrick your phone and a very easy root method - xda-developers

If I were to give any advice for someone new at this like me...I would take the time to install the android sdk on your computer and use adb in the command prompt to put phone in recovery or download mode (but also learn the manual way in case you ever need it). It takes a bit of time because you have to get the Java se develop kit also, but worth it. Get odin to flash your phone with stuff. Use red clockwork for now and don't flash the latest orange clockwork from rom manager (just yet).

Nate-

colinloynachan

Reaction score
Can't get odin working

Hi -

I was having some issues and did a factory reset but I forgot to go to titanium backup and re-enable the touchwiz launcher.

now my phone is booting up to a black screen with service and i can drop down the notification bar, but i have no way to get to market to download a launcher or anything.

Read a forum that said I can odin my phone back to stock to get it back up and running, however literally every single link I've clicked to download odin and the rom have been 404ing.

Can we have some up to date working links???

thanks!! it will be greatly appreciated

transient

Reaction score
I had the same problem finding working links. If you read my previous post theres a link from xda forums which had updated links when i bricked my phone. I would check the sticky posts on xda listed under your phone...they seem to be current. Good luck

Hi -

I was having some issues and did a factory reset but I forgot to go to titanium backup and re-enable the touchwiz launcher.

now my phone is booting up to a black screen with service and i can drop down the notification bar, but i have no way to get to market to download a launcher or anything.

Read a forum that said I can odin my phone back to stock to get it back up and running, however literally every single link I've clicked to download odin and the rom have been 404ing.

Can we have some up to date working links???

thanks!! it will be greatly appreciated

Vinnie981

Reaction score
i've seen many members here with help threads of possibly bricked phones, and i'm throwing this together to try to help.

If you are stuck on the samsung logo, or the phone triangle exclamation point computer screen, or getting too many force closes to do anything, i think this will help.

First, if you have clockworkmod on your phone and have the update.zip on your sd card for cwm go ahead and pull the battery. Press the vol up and down keys and power the phone back up. This that you see should be stock sf (samsung fascinate) recovery. Select the apply update.zip and that will take you into cwm. From here, you can apply your restore.

If you cannot get into cwm, continue.

Pull the battery out, and connect your phone to your computer. Grab the restore files from here: odin restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers and follow the steps to restore your phone with odin. Be sure not to flash it with the phone option, use pda.

Mount your phone to your computer, and grab the update.zip file from here: clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers and drop it onto the root of your sd card, and follow the steps above to re-flash your restore.

And if worst comes to worst, as long as you can get the odin stock restore to flash successfully, you can re-root, and re-flash cwm to get back to at least having a working phone.

hi,

i am one of those who bricked my phone. I am not in a major panic or anything but i would like to get it figured out.

Basically, i could not find a clear understanding on how to get clockwork working correctly.

So i saw another way which i felt more comfortable using this clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

unfortunately i run into broken links on that site it seems on any helpful page. I googled and found the cwmrecovery.tar file. I am positive it is the correct file. I then used odinn 1.3 and put my phone in download mode with the big yellow triangle and a guy shoveling something.

I used pda and clicked start. Everything looked good, passed etc. My phone rebooted and it flashes samsung white letters like it always does when first booting, but this happens twice then it goes straight to recovery with options to reboot system now, apply sdcard: Update.zip

I have tried following instructions to reset stock by using odin but i get invalid md5 hash.

I am not sure what i should do, i like toying around with this stuff so if someone could point me in the right direction with current information and maybe links to stuff that has valid links in it that would be super helpful.

I can get to recovery, i can get to download mode, and i have adb installed.

Nate-

people never use rom manager on the fascinate.....it has many issues with compadbilty

wgt99

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums so please forgive any breaches in etiquette. My fascinate was acting funny so I was going to take it back to stock with Odin. I didn't realize that I had a hardware problem with my usb port. While I was in the middle of loading ed05 my connection broke leaving my phone seemingly bricked. I can get it into download mode but my computer doesn't recognize the phone so that I can re-connect to Odin. I probably know the answe but any help would be appreciated.

dcipodcast

Reaction score
Thank you

I have a Verizon Samsung Fascinate. I tried to do the over-the-air update to 2.3. My phone got stuck on the Samsung screen. Then, after pulling the batter, it would start into manual mode with a whole sting of error codes. Verizon could not fix it without sending me a new one. I can't live that long without my phone because of my business. Anyway, thanks to this thread, and these below, I was able to restore to stock ROM, and then re-update. I did lose all of my data, but it was alread backed-up, but at least I have a working phone again!

Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers Links do not work, but instructions are good.

*OFFICIAL* DL09.tar.md5 - xda-developers Stock Rom downloaded from here.

[PROGRAM] Odin 1.82 with pit files. - xda-developers Odin files from here.

witemumba

Reaction score
Just trying to go back to factory without root

I have a fascinate that has been flashed using odin to 2.2.1 i just want to get it back to factory so i can get the OTA updates. so do i just need to do the first step of flashing the stock odin files?