In Depth REVIEW...VZN Wireless Snap-On Cover & Mount Combo PLUS Car Dock MOD!

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
1st, An Introduction 2.0:
Hi everyone, I'm Johnny D. aka SigmunDroid...
Everywhere I go I see products that I want for my Moto Droid...:)
They all *seem* to have all that I want until I take a closer look at the specs -OR-
realise during their R&D they keenly omit a feature I want or need.

So for all of the Droid forumites I've come to a decision and purchased what I feel
is a fabulous combination package rare in our world which pairs
a slick-arse case with a windshield suction-cup car dock, and with a little modding of this Car Dock
we will be able to activate Car Dock Mode once Docked!!!
...Read On for the review!

A Definitive Review: Snap-On Hard Cover & Mount Combo....MSRP: $29.99

5a216163.jpg

*Available at your local VZN Wireless Corporate Retail Store..
*Hard Cover and mount is said to be compatible with all CoatCaseDuo Hard Covers.

This set not only includes a Seidio Online-esque soft/hardened rubber 2 piece
case (which seems to be of high quality similar to the Seidio cases I've used and purchased in the past for other devices SHOWN HERE)
f8fdf2e4.jpg

870b98b9.jpg

but.....it also includes a Suction-Cup Car Dock....The issue (that we'll handily solve in the last part of the review)
is that it does NOT come with any magnets which as you know enables "Car Dock Mode" to instantiate upon magnetic polarity recognition...
Verizon has also included a durable belt clip as well (as shown in the first picture)
which is branded with big Red's name and logo, imagine that!

Fit And Finish:

Quality and Quantity at last merry happily with this unobtrusive design and ease of functionality!
Each piece (there are 2) snap into place as if they were meant to by some cosmic force, and I'm not kidding.
The fitment is unlike many cases I've purchased where something just didn't feel/fit correctly. Not a problem with this case at all.....

Another unknown little tidbit is that the top portion of the case (when attached of course) creates a firmness I haven't had the pleasure
of knowing before I bought this case. What this top piece does is add rigidity to the bottom portion of the screen (in landscape mode)
Some of you hear a faint thud when tapping the aforementioned side (back button section) This case eliminates this thud...Sweet!

I found texting via the slide out keyboard of the same Droidful, I mean dreadful uselessness I've had without the case!
O.k, then...enough....More pictures.

53ec0ae9.jpg

-With precise access to your:
-Headphone Jack/Sleep/Power Button
7cf968bd.jpg

-Camera Button/Camera Lens
-Micro USB Port
92c77e2e.jpg

d0283179.jpg

-Volume Buttons
-Microphone, and most importantly:
-The speakerphone housing!
ce5279df.jpg

-Call quality and alerts will ring through and will not be muffled one bit.

The negatives:

*In order to use the dock you just purchased (with the 2piece case), a circular connector must be added to your case---which mounts on the back securely. (I call it the Droid Dock Connector or DDC)

It cannot be removed without taking off the back portion of the case.
Taking off either piece can be a real PITA. The teeth
(from either piece of the case) that grab on to your Droid *may*
need some sanding IF you frequently take off the cover, just an FYI...

The only other negative I can make it worth mentioning is Fingerprints! Doh!
If you have sweaty hands/palms or are just 100% nervous all of the time you will see them show on this case...
I would invest in a micro fiber nappy. I use one and it cleans as it wipes!

How Thick Is It?

51753e17.jpg

I must admit I dislike cases that make an already brick looking device even thicker
but this case really is thin! From the Droid's back side to outer most edge of the case it's about 3/8's of an inch,
and another 3/8's of an inch from that to the Dock connector. Not bad, but not great either...

4a9db8aa.jpg

As for the top piece?
You hardly know it's there, and does a great job protecting your investment.

Form And Function:

ce5279df.jpg

Docking the case has never been easier thanks to the well thought out connector
(or hindrance) depending on how you look at it. On one hand the connector
which Docks your Droid to the Car Dock snaps into place, AND utilizes
*teeth* which are arrayed in a circle to allow up to 360 degree placement!

However...on the other hand having that Dock connector
(which comes out less than a 1/2 inch) protrude can hinder your Droids ability
to be housed inside of a leather holster or pouch.

As an example here is my leather holster while being a tighter fit than usual does
hold my Droid nice and snug without having to ram the crap out of it in order to fit.
YMMV in this regard. This case was purchased via Slickdeals.net all for a whopping .99 cents FS!

aa9437f2.jpg

d37fdc93.jpg

Durability/Final Thoughts:

64a0c62e.jpg

5e650eb9.jpg

I, personally dig this type of case which is not only affordable, but kills 2 birds with one stone...
Similar in design as the Body Glove case but features the soft/hardened rubberized case we are used to seeing
from one of, if not THE most popular/selling designs ever...made by Seidio Online.
This case is a very cost effective alternative to the aforementioned brand if budgeting is in order.

The case has already proved itself by protecting my already thrice dropped phone.
How did the case fare?

The case did NOT suffer even a scratch...I truly feel this combination package cannot be beat at $29.99
and find it to be a tremendous value, even more-so with the proceeding
Part 2 Review/Modification to the Dock which will enable the coveted "Car Dock Mode..."

Johnny Depth's Home Depot Car Dock Mode Mod:

brb

OP
JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Johnny Depth's Home Depot Car Dock Mode Mod Part2

Johnny Depth's Home Depot Car Dock Mode Mod Review Part #2:
*What you will need*

1.) Access to Home Depot
2.) 3M Double Sided Tape (Red Package) UPC:021200471032 Price: $4.97
3.) The elongated 8pack of magnets............UPC:095421070015 Price: $1.98

5c38a7ed.jpg

Once you have all three items covered take off the plastic piece that holds your Droid Dock Connector (DDC) by unscrewing it. Look Here:

08be07f6.jpg

Once you've done this take (2) two magnets...
Put them together so that they act as one bigger magnet.
(Pro Tip: They already come stacked together correctly, so just grab two, and keep them together)

You don't really need 2 but it makes everything easier to do.
Once the tape has bonded with both the plastic and the magnet I took the other magnet off....

Please remember this:

POLARITY IS IMPORTANT!!!

Make certain to test this out making sure you don't test the wrong area which
can enable the Multi-Media Dock applet, this is the one with Accuweather, a
digital clock in landscape mode.

What you want is the widest most area of the magnet adhering to the LEFT
side of the plastic piece which houses/holds/secures the DDC
(Droid Dock Connector...Look at the previous picture to be sure)

Putting the magnet with correct polarity and placement will activate Car Dock Mode...
Once you have tested the magnet by putting the correct side onto
the back of your Droid (with the CORRECT POLARITY as well)
Cut a piece of the 3M Double sided tape to the same thickness as the
piece of the magnet. This same thickness will match the magnets widest side because this side will be adhering to the
LEFT side of the Car Dock's plastic piece

(and in between the magnet's right side, and the plastic piece's left side will be the 3M Doubling Tape....)

Take the light tan side of the tape and adhere it to the Car Dock's plastic piece.
Here is the picture again:
08be07f6.jpg

PLEASE NOTE:
Directions come with this Car Dock so make sure you have the Car Dock, and plastic piece positioned
in the correct direction. Remember, There is only 1.

Once the light brown side is secured and essentially glued...carefully take off
the red side of the tape...

Put the right side of the magnet (the side with the widest width) and adhere it to the
light brown exposed tape (making certain the polarity you've just tested IS the same when you
bond the magnet to the light brown exposed tape....BUT be sure to position the magnet just below about a mm,
so that when the Droid is docked...it does not hit the magnet. Play with the fitment/magnet's position before bonding.

Look at the picture for confirmation and hold tight enough to bond, but not too tight to break the plastic because it is plastic.

If you've done everything correctly...
Your Droid Car Dock should now look like this:

693f2b11.jpg

557212bf.jpg

c250e834.jpg

df3848d1.jpg

a0c04581.jpg

Enjoy your newly Car Dock Activated Car Dock!:icon_ banana:

In closing I truly hoped I helped anyone who is on the fence as to whether or not they feel like spending a few minutes/or a few
bucks on a fantastic deal on this product...I'm happy with my case and my modded dock so much so cheers to all and hope to see
you around the Droidforum...:):greendroid:

G

gatewayad

Great review, I was wondering how to get that to work.
Thanks

OP
JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
282 Views and 1 reply?

I would have thought you guys would have something to say...bummer.

Phoxus

Reaction score
Thanks to you JohnnyDepth I bought this.

And am now having a thread up on giving my old car dock away.

Your thread was motivational on what case to get and because of you I cracked down and finally made a decision (3 months in the making)

OP
JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Thanks to you JohnnyDepth I bought this.

And am now having a thread up on giving my old car dock away.

Your thread was motivational on what case to get and because of you I cracked down and finally made a decision (3 months in the making)

Hey Phoxus....I'm so very glad that this review helped...even if it was
just one person...it means a lot, so enjoy your purchase!
(I know I am) :)

MAzing87

Reaction score
Must be a tough crowd or maybe not too many people like to mount cell phones to their cars, or they don't have cars.

But your thread was very helpful. I may consider mounting my droid in my car.

SikhDroid

Reaction score
is there a reason this is not available on the vzw.com website, and i'm a little confused. they sell a cardock with a span on hard cover that doesn't automatically go into cardock mode? what's the point of selling a dock that doesn't use this functionality out of the box. i apologize if i sound thickheaded right now, i just bought the regular car dock that is available online and this seems like a great solution the PITA of takeing your case off everytime u get in the car, but if i understand correctly the combo that u have in the very first picture is the same type of car dock without the magnet and automatic car dock function? i haven't seen this product at any vzw store or online nor do any vendors have it, i know this because i am a verizon authorized retailer and this is the first i've ever seen this box let alone the product.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the idea, however I am not sure if I like that button style clip holster dealio.
I have the 2 peice verizon case / holster and my phone slides in screen first so there is NO chance I can bump into some thing and scratch my screen

-=Jason=-

OP
JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Must be a tough crowd or maybe not too many people like to mount cell phones to their cars, or they don't have cars.
But your thread was very helpful. I may consider mounting my droid in my car.
Cool, man. Anything to help out us members is a good thing:)

is there a reason this is not available on the vzw.com website, and i'm a little confused. they sell a cardock with a span on hard cover that doesn't automatically go into cardock mode? what's the point of selling a dock that doesn't use this functionality out of the box. i apologize if i sound thickheaded right now, i just bought the regular car dock that is available online and this seems like a great solution the PITA of takeing your case off everytime u get in the car, but if i understand correctly the combo that u have in the very first picture is the same type of car dock without the magnet and automatic car dock function? i haven't seen this product at any vzw store or online nor do any vendors have it, i know this because i am a verizon authorized retailer and this is the first i've ever seen this box let alone the product.
I'm not sure, but I have seen VZN roll out products in stelp relative to their demographic. I have no idea why this set does not come with a magnet....The instructions say to hit the steering wheel icon for car dock mode-which is kind of funny. This mod I did is so easy, and cheap I felt it wasn't a big deal to do it, hence the purchase, but I do understand people want this right out of the box. This car dock is much different that the motorola snap in design...

Here is the UPC: 6----01290--43660------1

I like the idea, however I am not sure if I like that button style clip holster dealio.
I have the 2 peice verizon case / holster and my phone slides in screen first so there is NO chance I can bump into some thing and scratch my screen
-=Jason=-
I don't like the DDC either that sticks out...but since I have a leather case
and it fits...I can live with it... I may try and make a magnet mount...since there is
that 3/8's of clearance under the case (between the case and Droid) I could put one there, and one on the plastic piece....It should work.

As far as my screen being scratched the leather holster protects it.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Great review. Thanks for the time you put into this review. I still have not gotten a case and will take a look at this one now.

ShadowtheDragon

Reaction score
I've actually got the same Droid Snap-On Hard Cover & Mount Combo kit and I have two complaints:

-First, when it's attached to my belt, it sticks out way too far with the screen sticking out, meaning it tends to get bumped when I'm doing something as simple as walking through a door way or walking around a tight corner.

-Second, the hard cover has a thin layer of plastic or tape over it that scratches very easily. I got my first scratch just sitting down in my car and it bumping up against the seat belt latch. Now with random nicks here and there, the whole cover looks like a snake shedding its skin.

Aside from that, it's a pretty good kit for a pretty good price and it does, in fact, protect the phone very well, just wish the case had a better outer layer so it didn't look so bad.

The car mount is nice, but unfortunately the way my car is it kind of gets in the way no matter where I suction it.

OP
JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Great review. Thanks for the time you put into this review. I still have not gotten a case and will take a look at this one now.

Cool bro, right on.
As long as you're happy, then that's all that really matters:)

-First, when it's attached to my belt, it sticks out way too far with the screen sticking out, meaning it tends to get bumped when I'm doing something as simple as walking through a door way or walking around a tight corner.
Yeah, I can see that. I don't use the belt clip at all, and the leather pouch I use protects everything perfectly.

-Second, the hard cover has a thin layer of plastic or tape over it that scratches very easily. I got my first scratch just sitting down in my car and it bumping up against the seat belt latch. Now with random nicks here and there, the whole cover looks like a snake shedding its skin.
I haven't noticed any scratches, but if I did have a belt clip...I wouldn't wear it while
sitting in the car, I've broken/scratched many cases this way...

Aside from that, it's a pretty good kit for a pretty good price and it does, in fact, protect the phone very well, just wish the case had a better outer layer so it didn't look so bad.
The car mount is nice, but unfortunately the way my car is it kind of gets in the way no matter where I suction it.

Yeah, this case fits great and covers the droid but I wouldn't know of it ruggedness simply because I baby the case, haha.

My car is also a PITA because the windshield is very far away, and the dash comes out about 18inches, so I have to lean forward to touch the screen.

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
I like this case a lot, i hope there is a technique to take off the back part with ease. so i can use it with the multimedia station. Well better designed than the original mount first released