Iris Scanner works in pitch black dark!

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to be a buzz kill, but the screen illuminated the eyes, so it wasn't really total darkness on his face.
I would imagine that the iris scanner probably doesn't even need light.....but what do I know.
What I will say is probably note worthy is that the camera sensor was picking up his face pretty well with the screen illumination.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not to be a buzz kill, but the screen illuminated the eyes, so it wasn't really total darkness on his face.
I would imagine that the iris scanner probably doesn't even need light.....but what do I know.
What I will say is probably note worthy is that the camera sensor was picking up his face pretty well with the screen illumination.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk
You bring up at least one good point which is that the screen produces light which casts from the screen, and that light both illuminates the face and eyes and then that light reflects back to the iris sensor.

You actually make another good hypothesis... The sensor may not need "white" light, but I would suggest there is also at least one, if not multiple infrared illumination LEDs on the front of the phone, adjacent to the sensor, which would enhance the iris sensor performance. It appears that way in the video, since his eyes and face around them as you indicate are illuminated.

Motorola phones of late have the hand-wave feature and use infrared LEDs on the bottom right and top left and right corners, and an infrared sensor near the camera towards the middle top to detect hand motion in complete darkness, so the technology is there. I would want to see it operate in absolute darkness, meaning the screen covered completely as well, and I'd bet it will work nearly as well, if not as well.

Last edited: