is anyone else trying out the Milestone Overclock app?

neilrl79

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/107143-tut-milestone-oc-application-tut.html

I was just wondering if anyone is using this Milestone Overclock app? After reading the thread above I was curious how it worked and decided to give it a shot. If you are using it
I'd like to know how it's working out for you.

To get it to work on Sourcery I had to flash the stock CM6.1 kernel (there's a link in original thread) and edit the build.prop so the phone model shows as "Droid" and not "Sourcery" but after that it's pretty easy. Seems to work pretty good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one else is jumping on this, you can overclock your droid to varrying degrees wthout having to flash different kernels. And ,at least on my phone, it's super stable and running relatively cool @1.2ghz.

T-Dev

Reaction score
Neil
what is different in this app vs setCPU or CPU boost> both of those let you clock the kernel however you wish and you dont have to do mod anythign to make it work.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wondering how editing prop file affects any rom updates.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea and not too many of us have milestones there's like 2 of u lol but I have 3 overclock apps/widgets on my phone for whatever reason ha. I have setcpu, cpu widget and cpu boost

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

dmf77

Reaction score
It doesn't replace set cpu or cpu boost, u can still use them fine! All it does is allow u to change the cm stock kernel to whatever u want, 800/900/1000/1100/1200 overclock wise, and change the voltages in each slot. I've been flashing that kernel and using moc on every new rom I flash and love it!!

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
Neil
what is different in this app vs setCPU or CPU boost> both of those let you clock the kernel however you wish and you dont have to do mod anythign to make it work.

dmf77 explained it much better than I could.

wondering how editing prop file affects any rom updates.

I never really thought about ROM updates, good question.

Yea and not too many of us have milestones there's like 2 of u lol but I have 3 overclock apps/widgets on my phone for whatever reason ha. I have setcpu, cpu widget and cpu boost

My understanding is that it was originally developed for the Milestone but it in fact works very well on the Droid.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
What this does!!!!!!!!!as far as i can tell

what this does as far as i can tell is defeat the need to change kernels for different speeds

you just change the specs of the current kernel.

so cpu boost reads top of 900.
you change settings in this program than without changing a kernel you go back to cpu boost and you now see your new settings like 1200
you can set the voltages and stuff and play to which play best with your phone.

so instead of checy's cause boot loops and slayhers are too hot you figure out the voltages in between the 2 set the kernel to it. so its like your building your own kernel.

I am watching this closely !!! :)

OP
neilrl79

neilrl79

Reaction score
what this does as far as i can tell is defeat the need to change kernels for different speeds

you just change the specs of the current kernel.

so cpu boost reads top of 900.
you change settings in this program than without changing a kernel you go back to cpu boost and you now see your new settings like 1200
you can set the voltages and stuff and play to which play best with your phone.

so instead of checy's cause boot loops and slayhers are too hot you figure out the voltages in between the 2 set the kernel to it. so its like your building your own kernel.

I am watching this closely !!! :)

Yeah I've been using it for a few days and it 's pretty cool.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
O I didn't actually click the link or read ha I only saw it was an over clock app but that does sound sweet I'll have to play with that tonight

maninblack

Reaction score
Can you explain how to edit the files that need to be edited please?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
eagle any idea if editing the prop file will cause any update/market/theme install issues?

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Im watching here to see its popularity

eagle any idea if editing the prop file will cause any update/market/theme install issues?

No it wouldnt be a problem. The sourcery has to be changed to droid from what i read which only effect would be that when you log in it wouldnt say welcome to sourcery. and droid forums app would say from my droid instead of from my sourcery. and a few other things that pull from there would say droid instead of sourcery.

But for anyone reading this this is a very dangerous thing if you try this back up and have a kernel to reinstall on your sdcard :)

You can definatley boot loop if not worse if you dont put in compatible settings.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
may mess with it later today...may not...phone running well now so ... :) :)